Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stewfox

Wearing The Poppy

So Jon Snow gets derided by the press for not wearing the Poppy on TV.

The back lash and over enthusiasm regarding the poppy seems to have gone the other way in the last few years.

A few years ago it seem very few wore them, didn’t the BBC get ‘told off’ for not having many presenters wearing them ?

Now you have TV presenters wearing it by the third week of October.

More and more people are wearing them now, still 11 days away from the day of remembrance (I assume some people will wear them for at least 3 weeks)

Sellers at every corner you’re chastised if you don’t wear them

What’s changed?

As Jon Snow said didn’t people die so we can have a choice. ??

I’ll buy mine and probably at most wear one, a few days before 11th November.

The more I learn of the two great conflicts the more I am greatful that I did not have to live through that reality. The wearing of a poppy is not just to support the 'living' (who need support after 'giving' in conflicts) but also as a remembrance of the millions who suffered and died in such awful ,wasteful circumstances.

It is a matter of choice and folk should not be made to suffer if they choose not to engage in the ritual.

The war in Afghanistan, whether one agrees with it or not, is creating a new generation of dependents. It's not all about remembrance, the money raised helps to support surviving veterans and their families from all conflicts.

It's a charity like all others. And like others, is reliant on publicity for generating income. People who wear the poppy, do so for many different reasons. The victims of the great wars died for the freedoms of choice. That includes wearing the poppy without being harrassed for an explanation.

Of course, I exerted my freedom of choice to answer your question.

I will wear my poppy with respect and pride.

ffO

It's another of those things where I feel that if people wear the poppy through personal choice, then it shows that they care about the subject matter. If we start exerting significant social pressure on people to do it or be seen as disrespectful/selfish, then while it remains a mark of respect, often it's more out of obedience of authority ("you should wear the poppy because some authority X says so, and rules are rules") and the real reason for doing it becomes increasingly lost on many people.

This in turn may increase the incidence of people turning genuinely disrespectful and selfish in their attempts to rebel, e.g. stories of Marks & Spencers playing Christmas carols at 11am on the 11th November at the expense of those who would like to commemorate it with the one minute silence, and bosses doing the same kind of thing at work. We don't want to see more of that sort of thing.

I think this sort of thing has to be a personal choice and not something with huge "strings attached" to the decision.

I've never trully got to grips with the idea of forced 'respect': when someone tells me to wear such-and-such, as a mark of respect, I always wonder just who it is I'm meant to be respecting?? Like you say, Ian, much of the respect-element disappears once compulsion becomes involved...

Of course there is a choice.

Thankfully we are all able to choose if we wear one or not, due to the bravery of hundreds of thousands of men and women fighting (and dying) to give us the freedom to make that choice. I shall wear one because no one has won victory over this country and told me I can't.

Today, armed service personnel are still fighting and dying - they might appreciate our thoughts being with them.

I will wear my poppy with respect and pride.

Couldn't agree with you more ffo - I will proudly wear mine for all the soldiers who have and still are fighting and dying for us.

So Jon Snow gets derided by the press for not wearing the Poppy on TV.

Jon Snow works for Channel 4 and Channel 4 do not commemorate the two minute silence on Armstice Day (11th November) as the other terrestial channels do.

So is it just Jon Snow or the elite that surrounds Channel 4? I think there is more than one man's principles involved with this.

Couldn't agree with you more ffo - I will proudly wear mine for all the soldiers who have and still are fighting and dying for us.

They're not dying for us though.

These brave young lads are naively dying for special interests.

I think I actually agree with PP (in some respects anyway)!

There's a whole amount of platitudinous, moralistic, emotive rubbish spoken about the Poppy Appeal, I think, which is a shame, because it's fundamentally a most worthwhile cause. But it does seem that nowadays, unless you wear heart on your sleeve, you're to be criticised for it.

The other week, I happened to be in a Waitrose, at the entrance, you can put a token in one of three bins, which result in donations to one of three causes. Help for Heroes was full, whilst the local alzheimer and hospice were practically empty. Are they not worthwhile any more, or is there so much social pressure nowadays to "support the boys"? It's almost like bullying.

I think I actually agree with PP (in some respects anyway)!

There's a whole amount of platitudinous, moralistic, emotive rubbish spoken about the Poppy Appeal, I think, which is a shame, because it's fundamentally a most worthwhile cause. But it does seem that nowadays, unless you wear heart on your sleeve, you're to be criticised for it.

The other week, I happened to be in a Waitrose, at the entrance, you can put a token in one of three bins, which result in donations to one of three causes. Help for Heroes was full, whilst the local alzheimer and hospice were practically empty. Are they not worthwhile any more, or is there so much social pressure nowadays to "support the boys"? It's almost like bullying.

I can see the good in wearing a poppy to remember the poor buggers who had to defend these islands from bombing and invasion.

But the mantra of "support the boys" has become nauseating. It's become soldier-worship as if our troops are generally now all hero's by default. Yes, they're brave and far more tough than you and I and they deserve credit for that. But they don't deserve credit for their naivety.

How about "support our boys....BRING THEM HOME"?!?!

Perhaps it's a little unfair to compare the size of charity box donations in one town in the run up to Armistice day, and extrapolate that to the entire country. I'm sure there are myriads of folk who do not donate to any charity.

People who go out collecting are clearly supporting their cause. Most people seem to get involved with fund raising / sponsorship if they or their loved ones are directly affected by some form of loss or life altering outcome. At which time they become very animated for a time.

But there is no training or instruction on social behaviour or rubbing others up the wrong way. They are motivated to raise money any way they can, be that through physical presence, cold calling, pursuading, badgering or playing on guilt.

For sure some on the receiving end find it unpalatable.

I'd rather put up with a little annoyance than carry on comfortably numb.

ffO.

Of course there is a choice.

Unless you are on TV :winky: - which is, of course, the point John Snow is very rightly making.

People died to prevent us from being dictated to by fascists who demand we do as they say .......

I wear a poppy with pride - but the day I am told I have to wear one I will deliberately not wear a poppy with pride.

How about "support our boys....BRING THEM HOME"?!?!

Bit late now. The Somme is over, the Nazis have given up on their invasion plans and the Argentians are no longer bombing Port Stanley ...... :rolleyes:

The point John Snow is very rightly making is that the day we are told we have to wear a poppy is the day those whom we wear a poppy in rememberance of, died in vain :(

Perhaps it's a little unfair to compare the size of charity box donations in one town in the run up to Armistice day, and extrapolate that to the entire country.

Well, it was three weeks ago, so I'm not sure that would count as the run-up to Armistice Day, and I wasn't extrapolating it to the whole country; it was an observation made in a specific place at a specific time, which, to me, suggested that perhaps the profile of some charities can work against others. Not a criticism of Help for Heroes or the British Legion, because they're simply doing what they set out to do, but more an observation.

Let's not forget that FREEDOM is not free.

post-10773-091395200 1288822092_thumb.jp

It's the Military, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press

It's the Military, not the poet who has given us the freedom of speech

It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to life and liberty

It's the Military that salutes the flag, that serves beneath it, and who's coffins are draped by it when they have given the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom.

Wearing a Poppy is just a small token of recognition and appreciation for our men and women who have served and are currently serving our country.

Well, it was three weeks ago, so I'm not sure that would count as the run-up to Armistice Day, and I wasn't extrapolating it to the whole country; it was an observation made in a specific place at a specific time, which, to me, suggested that perhaps the profile of some charities can work against others. Not a criticism of Help for Heroes or the British Legion, because they're simply doing what they set out to do, but more an observation.

Understood. I'm sure you are correct where those that shout loudest get the most.

For my part, wearing something with pride and with respect doesn't imply that patriotic jingosim is a motivation.

Some people, I do believe, attempt iconoclasm and others userpation (Poppy and Union Jack) to further their own dubious political and ideological agenda's.

ffO

For my part, wearing something with pride and with respect doesn't imply that patriotic jingosim is a motivation.
Well put.

I have just bought a couple of poppies as I do every year, gets a bit tedious removing and pinning on different outer garment!

I wear it with pride and a deep appreciation, I hope, for those currently serving their country, and for all those who gave their lives, and those who survived any conflict but scarred for life, mentally or physically or both.

It has to be voluntary with no feeling of pressure. I am not impressed with the 'flood' of poppies 3 weeks before the day on every TV show, factual or otherwise.

I haven't got round too buying one yet as each time I'm near a box I haven't got any change. Will get one later this weekend.

If you decide not to wear one becuase you're making a protest you must expect disccusion of the subject otherwise whats the point of protesting.

As for which charity box gets more is purely a emotive decision at the time.

I remember once person getting upset at me for not donating to a charity. Yet I had already done some work for the charity the week before. I let them god off then told em where too stuff it....

I wear a poppy and have always encouraged my sons to wear them too. However, as with all other charity badges and symbols, whether other people choose to donate money and /or wear a poppy or not should be entirely up to the individual.

I have always bought and wore, with pride and reverent rememberance, a poppy every year since I was a lad. I have lost relatives in WW1/WW2 and some are buried across the globe in Commonwealth War Graves. There are also many old and young who suffered terrible mental and physical scaring then and in more modern conflicts whether they were just or not.

I have little time for the discussion on the rights and wrongs currently being debated. Others can do as they see fit, that is their decision but I wear my poppy with pride for personal reasons and that is my own choice and none other.

Charity (not just the Ppoppy appeal), respect and rememberance are to me personal issues.

Bought one last night while I was out having a drink.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather