Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

Obama's Midterm Blues

Obama and his Democratic party could be in for a kicking today as the US goes to the polls to elect their governors, congressmen and senators.

All 435 House of Representatives seats are up for election. It is believe that the Republicans could make significant gains here to take control of that House.

Currently: 255 Democrats; 178 Republicans and 2 vacancies

37 Senate seats out of the 100 are up for grabs. It is believe the Democrats should hold onto control here.

Currently: 59 Democrats; 41 Republicans

38 Governorships are up for grabs including the big one, California, where Arnie won't be coming back as the state limits the governorship to two terms.

The masterly art of doing nothing hasn't really helpded him much has it.

The USA is basically screwed, sinking under it's own debt.

fiscally they are somewhere between Greece and Iceland - the only difference being that the world still deals in dollars at the moment so everyone is trying not to think about it

Whoever is president over the next couple of decades might as well be Edward John Smith*

*captain of the Titanic

Unfortunately the Democrats haven't had a clear message during this campaign, in fact much of the population has received a tax cut but for some reason this has failed to shore up their votes, the healthcare reform also hasn't been sold well with many of the people on the ground not knowing exactly what this all means. I think the saddest thing for a country which espouses to be so into being a good Christian and going to church is that people are happy to see their fellow citizens have no health coverage, approx 30 million new people will get coverage now but it seems the attitude is by many of the population, you can suffer because we're happy with our health coverage!

Really this is just a sad state of affairs,also as we can see by the hysterical nature of much of these political campaigns, the cultural difference between the USA and UK is far greater than people may imagine, the vitriol and partisan nature of the politics there makes the UK parties look like the best of friends!

The rise of the Tea party isn't a great surprise and just taps into a disillusionment with both the Reps and Dems. When you see the fervour and hysteria at some of the rallies you just wonder whats going on, it seems almost cult like, it seems this taps into the American psyche where everything seems to be played out like a Hollywood movie, where politicians are followed with the fervour that used to be reserved for the Beatles!

Whatever the Democrast have or haven't done they seem the only reasonably sane choice in a sea of madness!

Anyone for tea? :drunk:

That sounds ominous, I haven't checked the news, but I will now.

Welcome to the madness! Looks like two years of gridlock and posturing before the next Presidental elections . The sums spent in these elections given the current economic climate is obscene, apparently 3 billion dollars! the partisanship and bile spouted by both parties against each other really takes politics to a new low.

I think the funniest thing or most deluded was the acceptance speech by the new Tea Party senator from Florida, all this clap trap about the USA being the greatest country in all mankind blah blah,why is it so important for Americans to believe all this twaddle, do they really believe this? are they aware of the rest of the world?

I've been to the USA, liked it so this isn't some anti-American rant but they really need to wake up and smell the coffee! The more I see of the American political system the more I think perhaps Europe isn't doing too badly.

Welcome to the madness! Looks like two years of gridlock and posturing before the next Presidental elections in two years. The sums spent in these elections given the current economic climate is obscene, apparently 3 billion dollars! the partisanship and bile spouted by both parties against each other really takes politics to a new low.

I think the funniest thing or most deluded was the acceptance speech by the new Tea Party senator from Florida, all this clap trap about the USA being the greatest country in all mankind blah blah,why is it so important for Americans to believe all this twaddle, do they really believe this? are they aware of the rest of the world?

I've been to the USA, liked it so this isn't some anti-American rant but they really need to wake up and smell the coffee! The more I see of the American political system the more I think perhaps Europe isn't doing too badly.

I always end up thinking which would I prefer to be most associated with gravy train Europe, or the Asylum that the US often appears to resemble, if I have to, then it would be the gravy train.

I watched Andrew Neil’s program about the Tea party yesterday evening. During it there was a most telling interview between Glenn Beck (Fox News, ex alcoholic, born again Mormon) and Sarah Palin, in which they discussed how the Tea Party needs a presidential candidate that doesn’t appear to want the job, but would take it on at the bequest of the people. When Beck suggested to her that she might be that person, she didn’t even have the sense to distance herself from the idea, and there was me thinking that Halloween was over. Just imagine the sight of an Eton educated British PM shaking hands with potty Palin in a couple of years time.

Just imagine the sight of an Eton educated British PM shaking hands with potty Palin in a couple of years time.

Careful what you post! My heart just did a double beat !

I always end up thinking which would I prefer to be most associated with gravy train Europe, or the Asylum that the US often appears to resemble, if I have to, then it would be the gravy train.

I watched Andrew Neil’s program about the Tea party yesterday evening. During it there was a most telling interview between Glenn Beck (Fox News, ex alcoholic, born again Mormon) and Sarah Palin, in which they discussed how the Tea Party needs a presidential candidate that doesn’t appear to want the job, but would take it on at the bequest of the people. When Beck suggested to her that she might be that person, she didn’t even have the sense to distance herself from the idea, and there was me thinking that Halloween was over. Just imagine the sight of an Eton educated British PM shaking hands with potty Palin in a couple of years time.

Yes that would certainly be a sight! It says something when Sarah Palin makes Bush look like a MENSA member! Apparently the rumours circulating over in the USA is that behind the scenes the Republicans are trying to de-rail any attempt by Palin to be a presidential candidate as they fear her handing the election to Obama.

Yes that would certainly be a sight! It says something when Sarah Palin makes Bush look like a MENSA member! Apparently the rumours circulating over in the USA is that behind the scenes the Republicans are trying to de-rail any attempt by Palin to be a presidential candidate as they fear her handing the election to Obama.

Somebody must have their thinking cap on in the Republican Party then. However it may well depend on how well and if, the American economy recovers over those two years. If Obama is still as unpopular in two years time and knowing just how dumb the American people can be about who leads them, the Republicans may see her as a populist candidate. It will also depend if the Tea Party can maintain their profile, I suspect that many moderate Republicans will be hoping that after the success in the mid-terms they fade back into the background. Given the rabid nature of certain prominent sections of American society and the media over there I doubt it.

Careful what you post! My heart just did a double beat !

Sorry VP, its a bit early in the morning for that.

Somebody must have their thinking cap on in the Republican Party then. However it may well depend on how well and if, the American economy recovers over those two years. If Obama is still as unpopular in two years time and knowing just how dumb the American people can be about who leads them, the Republicans may see her as a populist candidate. It will also depend if the Tea Party can maintain their profile, I suspect that many moderate Republicans will be hoping that after the success in the mid-terms they fade back into the background. Given the rabid nature of certain prominent sections of American society and the media over there I doubt it.

I think it just comes down to the numbers, recent polling showed a variety of candidates up against Obama in a Presidential campaign, Obama at the moment would easily beat Palin. She is of course a polarizing figure but has too much baggage and some of her policies would frighten away the independent voters who generally determine elections in the USA. The current mid terms didn't really show a great appetite for the Republicans but a general apathy and disenchantment with politics and against the Democrats where alot of their voters stayed at home, the Senate seats won in Illinois and Pensylvania were caused by stay at home Democrat voters from the urban areas.

The problem now is that we see an even greater polarization as many of the conservate Democrats lost seats, moderate Republicans are also being pushed out in favour of more right wing candidates. The divide grows and I fear an even more partisan and bile infested Presidential campaign, if the Republicans stupidly pick Palin this will mobilize Democrat voters into a huge attempt to stop her, it's unlikely that she could pick up enough Independent voters and would certainly lose the younger vote which the Democrats managed to get out in great numbers during the last Presidential campaign.

I look at these mid-term elections in a way like the bi-elections and county council elections in the UK, a good excuse to give the incumbent party a good kicking without changing the government. If the economy recovers in the USA then it's hard to see the American voters running to Palin, during the last election campaign the Democrats didn't really target her as much as they could but if she was the Presidential candidate the knives would be out big time.

I think it just comes down to the numbers, recent polling showed a variety of candidates up against Obama in a Presidential campaign, Obama at the moment would easily beat Palin. She is of course a polarizing figure but has too much baggage and some of her policies would frighten away the independent voters who generally determine elections in the USA. The current mid terms didn't really show a great appetite for the Republicans but a general apathy and disenchantment with politics and against the Democrats where alot of their voters stayed at home, the Senate seats won in Illinois and Pensylvania were caused by stay at home Democrat voters from the urban areas.

The problem now is that we see an even greater polarization as many of the conservate Democrats lost seats, moderate Republicans are also being pushed out in favour of more right wing candidates. The divide grows and I fear an even more partisan and bile infested Presidential campaign, if the Republicans stupidly pick Palin this will mobilize Democrat voters into a huge attempt to stop her, it's unlikely that she could pick up enough Independent voters and would certainly lose the younger vote which the Democrats managed to get out in great numbers during the last Presidential campaign.

I look at these mid-term elections in a way like the bi-elections and county council elections in the UK, a good excuse to give the incumbent party a good kicking without changing the government. If the economy recovers in the USA then it's hard to see the American voters running to Palin, during the last election campaign the Democrats didn't really target her as much as they could but if she was the Presidential candidate the knives would be out big time.

Even without picking Palin, the Tea Party will be seeking to have whatever candidate the republicans choose firmly in their pocket, its a real worry, and remember nobody much thought Bush Jnr had a chance.

Even without picking Palin, the Tea Party will be seeking to have whatever candidate the republicans choose firmly in their pocket, its a real worry, and remember nobody much thought Bush Jnr had a chance.

Regarding Bush even he's more moderate than Palin and had the advantage of the family connection. The media will probably want to talk up Palins chances of being the nominee but the Republican Party don't want her, imagine her in those tv debates!

I dont like the Democrats or the Republicans. I think Id be ideology more in line with the republicans though. Party I support in the USA. Libertarians without a doubt.

Regarding Bush even he's more moderate than Palin and had the advantage of the family connection. The media will probably want to talk up Palins chances of being the nominee but the Republican Party don't want her, imagine her in those tv debates!

They picked her as the running mate last time, and despite being an idiot she was very popular with the public, I would hope they have more sense, but I'm not sure how much money I would want to put on it.

If Palin becomes president, will the last person to leave planet earth please turn off the lights.

If Palin becomes president, will the last person to leave planet earth please turn off the lights.

Not that I want to upset VP again, but if Palin becomes president it will be her hand on the switch.:crazy:

Very disappointing and alarming results. Palin is evil personified and God help us all if she ever gets the keys to the Whitehouse.

Obama should be coming out and saying 'no going back' - not suggesting compromise with these Right wing moralisers.

NO that is exactly what he should NOT do.

Why ? He should face down the Right and be confident in his case. Don't let them and their media cohorts get the upper hand. They never back down so why should he. These people make me sick every time they come out with 'rolling back the health reforms', 'small government' etc.. it's all about protecting the rich and hurting the poor under some sort of Christian banner. I hate them even more than I hate the Right over here.

Have a look at what Obama and his administration have done.

http://stpeteforpeace.org/obama.html

Why ? He should face down the Right and be confident in his case. Don't let them and their media cohorts get the upper hand. They never back down so why should he. These people make me sick every time they come out with 'rolling back the health reforms', 'small government' etc.. it's all about protecting the rich and hurting the poor under some sort of Christian banner. I hate them even more than I hate the Right over here.

I'm kind of with you here.

However, I sympathise with the Conservatives in the UK, apart from that god-forbidden Theresa May dry.gif

But I hate the Republicans with a furious passion, I would hate it if they got back in power, and if they do, I think that's Final Warning to Britain, stop being mates with the US and get your act together, and become stronger in the EU...

Unfortunately PP we are not likely to get the kind of society we want, but I'm interested in stopping the lesser of the evils, and some of them are evil, while your failure to engage allows the Right to get what it wants.

The "lesser evil"?

There is no difference between Obama and Bush if you read and look at the sources on that list.

And I don't vote for "lesser evils". It's still an evil.

Only cowards vote for criminals. It's that simple.

dude I get it

you are a crazed left winger...

here are you screaming and ranting about how THEY -- the far right christians / tea party kooks ---are always screaming and ranting and are out of control.

you need to calm down.

You dont GET America at all.

FACT in 2008 Obama won a landslide by 1) getting folks who ad never voted before to vote....

and 2) took the swing independent voters by 10% -- in some states it was closer to 15%

appealing to the far left base will lead to political disaster.

I am not sure why IF you are an Obama supporter ...you want him to do the one thing that will lead to his defeat in 2012.

Thomas Jefferson said " government that governs least governs best."

the Tea Party thing is Nothing all that new.

I am sure YOU think its all about hate that " black man in the white house" or that they think " Obama is a Muslim "

it is far more than that.

Have a look at what Obama and his administration have done.

http://stpeteforpeace.org/obama.html

Ironically There are similar posters on some of the tea Party web sites

dude I get it

you are a crazed left winger...

here are you screaming and ranting about how THEY -- the far right christians / tea party kooks ---are always screaming and ranting and are out of control.

you need to calm down.

You dont GET America at all.

FACT in 2008 Obama won a landslide by 1) getting folks who ad never voted before to vote....

and 2) took the swing independent voters by 10% -- in some states it was closer to 15%

appealing to the far left base will lead to political disaster.

I am not sure why IF you are an Obama supporter ...you want him to do the one thing that will lead to his defeat in 2012.

Thomas Jefferson said " government that governs least governs best."

the Tea Party thing is Nothing all that new.

I am sure YOU think its all about hate that " black man in the white house" or that they think " Obama is a Muslim "

it is far more than that.

Ironically There are similar posters on some of the tea Party web sites

You're right about America DX, we don't get half of it, as it often appears to be a bit of a nut house to us here, we like our politicians especially leaders to at least appear educated.

• High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More warmth and little rain in the forecast as May ends

HIgh pressure is slipping over the UK bringing settled and dry weather. Light winds before it moves away eastwards at the end of the week and the warmth extends northwards. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather