Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

claret047

Income Tax Debacle

I dare say it has been written about before on this website but like Frank Spencer I feel like a man incest.

The first communication I received on my return from a week's holiday wqas a tax demand from HMRC claiming that I had underpaid by a sum just short of £1800. I scoured through the paperwork in the hope I finding one little word within the text of five letters thus S***Y but without success. It appears to be a swear word in their eyes or are they simply too arrogant to admit the mistake is their fault? At least the money which I have to reimburse them next year at the rate of over £140 per month. At least it will g towards the black hole that is their pension fund.

I cannot make out as I am on payee how this error can occur other than from sheer incompetence on behalf of HMRC. It is my intention to make sure what they now state is correct.

Have many others been similarly affected yet? Did any of you challenge the new statement?

Many thanks in advance for any responses

i think this was a news story a month or so ago where the tax office had made a boob with some peoples codings for last year. some overpaid tax and will get a rebate some like yourself underpaid and will have to top up

i think this was a news story a month or so ago where the tax office had made a boob with some peoples codings for last year. some overpaid tax and will get a rebate some like yourself underpaid and will have to top up

It was in the news a while back, but is back in the press again today, apparently HMRC have identified further errors and another set of demands for underpayment are about to be sent out.

The only person I know who's received a letter got a refund of just over £400, but I don't imagine that's going to come as much consolation?

The only person I know who's received a letter got a refund of just over £400, but I don't imagine that's going to come as much consolation?

I got £160.

In the past my wife has had to pay back thousands because of wrong codes. Very frustrating.

This mistake on their part affects several thousands of people.

There's a minimum time limit for challenges (e.g., older mis-payments can be challenged but not more recent ones). Also, even if their sums are now correct you don't have to repay it all at once or immediately, given that you owe less than £2500. Check out the HMRC website.

Having dealt with HMRC professionally and personally for most of my career the word sorry is not in their vocabulary.. neither is the phrase "ignorance is bliss".

I've learnt to stay on the right side of the taxman or else it's like a dog with a bone... even if you are right.

• High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More warmth and little rain in the forecast as May ends

HIgh pressure is slipping over the UK bringing settled and dry weather. Light winds before it moves away eastwards at the end of the week and the warmth extends northwards. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather