Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weather-history

Chinese Flying Lanterns

A chinese flying lantern has landed on a telegraph wire over a road near here. I never really gave it a thought when I see these floating by in the sky but they have to come down somewhere. They could land on rooves, in gardens, even in the middle of a motorway, farmers' fields, etc.

Despite the biodegradable labels, are these increasingly popular items are actually litter nuisances?

I do know that Farmers are increasingly concerned about these. When they cut their grass in the late summer / autumn for winter fodder, the mowers cut the wire frames into small pieces which can be ingested by their animals, causing death.

Yes there has been quite a campaign to stop in particular mass releases at wedding parties etc.

If you have crops - including grass for winter feed near a place which is releasing them every weekend it's a very serious issue.

The better designs use bio-degradable materials but the fire hazard is still quite real even if 'in theory' they don't come down until the flame goes out.

Coastguards aren't happy either as they are often reported as possible distress flares.

I had one hit me in the face while I was fishing on a deserted beach in the middle of the night. I have never soiled myself so copiously before or since. Especially as it was very much on fire at the time!

So you have soiled yourself both before and after that event, but just not quite as much?

Ok you've got me there, it would depend on if we look at a rolling 30 year average or compare it to the 1970-2000 average. Either way there is a definate increase in soiling at around that time. Not sure if it's a longterm trend or not. As ever, more data required!

So you have soiled yourself both before and after that event, but just not quite as much?

I don't think I have ever laughed so much at a comment on this forum before :lol:

I had one hit me in the face while I was fishing on a deserted beach in the middle of the night. I have never soiled myself so copiously before or since. Especially as it was very much on fire at the time!

How did you not see it coming?????

How did you not see it coming?????

Because it was in stealth mode and came at me from the side. Also, although it was actually on fire it was on it's last legs and was just weak low flame as it hit. The large shower of sparks was very noticable and rather warm.

I don't know about litter nuisances but they are a hazard and dangerous. One landed on my uncles garage the other day and had started burning at the fasia, luckily they were awake and saw it land, otherwise it could have caused a lethal fire. Not only that but aircraft pilots can be disorientated and what if one of these lanterns hits an aircraft or gets caught up in it's engines?

I've heard that firefighters etc are trying to get them banned as when they do land they are sometimes still lit and can obviously cause fires.

the cost guard wants them banned aswell as they keep mistaking them for distress flares!

Lanterns like fireworks are nothing but a nuisence and dangerous, things burning in the sky falling to earth and deadly missiles fired from all corners of our towns.

I have distraught animals here at the moment who don't know which way to run all so childish town folk can have their fun :wallbash:

Lanterns like fireworks are nothing but a nuisence and dangerous, things burning in the sky falling to earth and deadly missiles fired from all corners of our towns.

I have distraught animals here at the moment who don't know which way to run all so childish town folk can have their fun :wallbash:

Well we had 150 ish childish country folks enjoying the fireworks and the fire was provided by the local farmer and you don't get much more countryfied than this area :good:

Well we had 150 ish childish country folks enjoying the fireworks and the fire was provided by the local farmer and you don't get much more countryfied than this area :good:

If organised properly I have no problem with displays, country folk will know that animals need to be catered for. Its town folk who are clueless and selfish.

I was at Scarborough the last few days. I was a bit concerned about what was being brought down to put on some of the fires. Old sofa's and chairs. Whether someone removed them or they got burnt I don't know. The fireworks themselves seemed to be a little free for all. If you had some you marked an area out on the beech and off you went. Apart from the odd one that went zooming off towards the shore line (Odd plonker walking the dogs) it didn't seem to dangerous. Of course there was the Chinese lanterns several of these got sent off.

I left when the first drunks started appearing and some of the antics made you wonder about the mental age of these people.

Next morning the sea had a fair share of floating fireworks and ash floating about.

Anyone finding them should pick them up, then drop them in town outside council offices.

Apparently lanterns aren't covered by anti-littering legislation.

the cost guard wants them banned aswell as they keep mistaking them for distress flares!

Erm, no, the Public keep mistaking them for distress flares and report them to us, we then have to at least chase up the report just in case anything may be amiss, this will sometimes mean we have to task Coastguard Rescue Teams and perhaps RNLI Lifeboats and our own Rescue Helicopters, depending on the circumstances. Having seen them myself they look and act nothing like distress flares but thats not what the public thinks. That said I would not want to discourage anyone from reporting what they may think is a distress flare but what I would encourage is if you are thinking of setting these things off then please phone your local Coastguard station and let them know, that way if they do receive any reports they can bear it mind.

• Some first weekend of Summer - even the pigeons don't fancy it

Gusting winds, showers and persistent rain - not the type of weather you'd usually associate with the first weekend of summer. But there will be some improvement through the weekend and into next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2020-06-05 21:46:10 Valid: 06/06/2020 0600 - 07/06/2020 0600 THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - SAT 6TH JUNE 2020 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather