Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Geordiesnow

Power Snooker

As some snooker fans might be aware of, a new format named Power Snooker was bought in to revamp the sport to make it more exciting for fans and viewers alike.

Unlike a normal tornement there is no frames and the players play for 30mins and whoever gets the highest total wins. Also unlike any other normal tornement's there is only 9 reds and one of those reds is the "power ball" which if potted, means there is a 2 miniute timelimit where any points accumulated are doubled. Also if the cueball lands in the powerplay zone(which is the Baulk area) after a shot, then the next coloured ball potted will count as double points.

Also in this format, the crowd is encouraged to make noise in an attempt to interact with the players more.

I'm wondering what peoples thoughts of this new tornement so far? On a personal point of view, i quite like it as it makes the game goes much quicker and despite a player being so far infront, there is more of a chance of them catching up there opponent where in the frames format, its less likely and is a matter of when rather than if the person in the lead will wrap up the match. Also the fact that there is many chances of double points helps games being tight and not having one opponent gaining a huge advantage.

I'm not the biggest fan of encouraging the crowd to make noise though, i just don't think it works with snooker and its quite distracting and a little off putting too watch in all honesty. Perhaps i'm just used to the silentness when watching Snooker but i always felt this is the best way and the fact that the players still have plenty of banter with the crowd when silent tells me you don't need noise for there to be an interaction with fans and players.

On an ITV note, i'm certainly not a fan of having a football commentator commentating on snooker matches(I mean can you imagine Dennis Taylor commentating on a Champions League game!?) and i prefer having 2 commentators instead of the one as you can have the interaction and banter between them. However i am glad too hear Clive Everton commentating after being disgracefully treated by the BBC.

Apart from that, i think after watching quite a bit of the day, i think its a positive revamp for snooker and hopefully one that can encourage more snooker fans too watch the sport. Hopefully people will see this as a success and it will be carried on in other countries.

For more information on Power Snooker heres the link too Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_snooker

I have to say that I love the new format, I wasn't keen in the idea at first but after watching today I am sold.

And don't get me wrong I still want to watch a traditional match, but it was a lot easier to stay focused as I find myself

drifting off with some of the long drawn out games you get with the longer tournaments.

Just what snooker needs!

It's the same as has happened with cricket - test matches, ODIs and now 20/20. Snooker and now Power Snooker. A sad indictment on dumbing down proud, intelligent, complicated games into something with so-called 'mass appeal' for no other reason than money.

It's the same as has happened with cricket - test matches, ODIs and now 20/20. Snooker and now Power Snooker. A sad indictment on dumbing down proud, intelligent, complicated games into something with so-called 'mass appeal' for no other reason than money.

Good post Shugs...

...plus, where exactly is the 'Power' in this so called Power snooker....The players all still look like anaemic, skinny, unfit blokes with alcohol withdrawal symptoms.....I was expecting steroid inflated freaks smashing their cue's over their opponents heads or something...Oh well, 'Power snooker' it is then....The funny thing is, is that there's all ready a much more exciting green baize ( or blue for that matter) sport out there, and it's far more popular pastime than snooker....They call it 'Pool' :winky:

Not a fan of this new format and I'm a very avid snooker fan and player.

They did a test run of the 6 reds frame last world snooker championship and it seemed alright, but introducing all this new fandangle is a bit too far.

I find snooker relaxing and enjoying, last thing I want when playing is noise.

Good post Shugs...

...plus, where exactly is the 'Power' in this so called Power snooker....The players all still look like anaemic, skinny, unfit blokes with alcohol withdrawal symptoms.....I was expecting steroid inflated freaks smashing their cue's over their opponents heads or something...Oh well, 'Power snooker' it is then....The funny thing is, is that there's all ready a much more exciting green baize ( or blue for that matter) sport out there, and it's far more popular pastime than snooker....They call it 'Pool' :winky:

Pool is for wimps who can't hack the difficulty of Snooker ;)

Pool is alright, it's no Snooker though. Snooker has always appealed to me, I started playing when I was 4-5, I love the tactical side of it too.

Pool is for wimps who can't hack the difficulty of Snooker ;)

Pool is alright, it's no Snooker though. Snooker has always appealed to me, I started playing when I was 4-5, I love the tactical side of it too.

You should try a game of cricket on the snooker table. One player goes for colours, the other reds, you accumulate the points of the colours you pot (ie once you pot a colour you get another shot until you miss then the other player goes for reds).

The object is for the player on the reds to stop you accumulating many points before he pots all the reds, once all reds are down the game stops and you's switch around, so he'll be colours, you'll be reds. The other player will be trying to beat the score you accumulated on the colours. Highest score wins.

You should try a game of cricket on the snooker table. One player goes for colours, the other reds, you accumulate the points of the colours you pot (ie once you pot a colour you get another shot until you miss then the other player goes for reds).

The object is for the player on the reds to stop you accumulating many points before he pots all the reds, once all reds are down the game stops and you's switch around, so he'll be colours, you'll be reds. The other player will be trying to beat the score you accumulated on the colours. Highest score wins.

Sounds awesome, will give that a try.