Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Do You Find Dark Mornings Depressing?

Essan

104 members have voted

1. 1. Do you find dark mornings depressing?

Posted

I love the dark mornings,hate to be woken by the sun blasting thru' the window at daft o'clock. Love the dark evenings too - always look forward to the clocks going back,even tho' it robs me of an hour of precious darkness in the mornings. Basically,I wish it was dark all the time. This time of year I try to sort it so I'm on permanent night-shift. If I play my cards right it means I can often go 24hrs without ever seeing the sun. Wonderful. Must be a hormonal thing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I love the dark mornings,hate to be woken by the sun blasting thru' the window at daft o'clock. Love the dark evenings too - always look forward to the clocks going back,even tho' it robs me of an hour of precious darkness in the mornings. Basically,I wish it was dark all the time. This time of year I try to sort it so I'm on permanent night-shift. If I play my cards right it means I can often go 24hrs without ever seeing the sun. Wonderful. Must be a hormonal thing.

mellow.gif

Anyway, I love the feeling of dark nights in the November-December area, makes everything Festive, but apart from that, the night-time can do one.

To be honest, I like the sun to be rising as I wake up, as I'd rather have dark evenings than mornings.

GMT is excellent, nice light mornings with the sun rising for another month (November), so I think I'll like this month, and the sun sets nice and early, so as I get back from work (5pm) it'll be Pitch Black, so I think I'll like the next few months. After December, the sun can come back please!

P.S. Yes, I babble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, I find the dark mornings quite depressing, especially if accompanied by drizzle and a keen wind- it can make it harder to have the will to get up punctually. The large variations in daylight with a lot of "wasted" daylight in summer and then people being stuck in offices throughout daylight hours in winter are perhaps the biggest downside, for me, of the British climate.

I don't see darkness as entirely a bad thing, but excessive darkness yes.

Posted
Don't let the Scots dictate the time as we would all be fitter if clocks were NOT put back, says expert

Britain would become a fitter nation if the clocks were not put back this weekend, it is claimed. A top researcher is calling for British summer time to remain during the winter - and for the clocks to go forward another hour next Spring. This would lead to double daylight saving, increasing the number of hours when people can take part in outdoor activities.

Research has shown that people are happier, more energetic, and less likely to be sick in the longer and brighter days of summer, whereas there are greater levels of anxiety and depression during the shorter and duller days of winter. ‘The common reaction to the prospect of less daylight and sunlight when the clocks are put back at the end of October, signalling as it does the onset of a largely indoor leisure life, is a negative one’ he said.

Dr Hillman said we would only lose only an hour of morning daylight in winter as most of us get up after sunrise for most of the year. In 1988 the Policy Studies Institute published a study on the consequences of the UK keeping British Summer Time during winter - by not putting the clocks back in October in one year - but still putting clocks forward in the subsequent spring.

www.dailymail.co.uk

:unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

...or we could replace the "nine to five, Monday to Friday" mentality with "eight to four", and continue to add more flexibility, therefore achieving the same result!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What has the sun done wrong to you? :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

I think it would be fairer if things were left as they are with us all sharing (more or less) in equal amounts of daylight/darkness. Certainly the further north you are in the winter, the less daylight you have. Which already puts us 'Scots' at a disadvantage. I can be watching a live news report from say London on the TV around tea time and I can see for myself that it is much lighter down there when we are already dark here. Adding another hour of darkness I think would be most depressing. People have to work, children have to go to school, and in the depths of winter, an extra hour of daylight wouldn't make that much difference up here as it is dark by 4pm anyway. What we would gain is an hour of dusk which, I believe, where driving is concerned, causes more accidents? At the end of the day, the Government will do what it wants anyway as it's all down to our trading markets opening at the same time as the Europeans isn't it?

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

I like the darkness in the run up the Christmas with lots of festive lights.

Gets a bit depressing come January and then I yearn for longer, warmer days.

Adding another hour of darkness I think would be most depressing. People have to work, children have to go to school, and in the depths of winter, an extra hour of daylight wouldn't make that much difference up here as it is dark by 4pm anyway. What we would gain is an hour of dusk which, I believe, where driving is concerned, causes more accidents? At the end of the day, the Government will do what it wants anyway as it's all down to our trading markets opening at the same time as the Europeans isn't it?

It would be impossible to add an hour of darkness or daylight - tinkering with the clocks only shifts when the darkness is.

Scotland is of course disadvantaged by it's geographic location so there are only going to be so many hours of daylight to play with in mid winter.

Perhaps England and Wales could stay on BST year round and scotland revert to GMT in winter, although I'd like such a move to be approved by separate referendums, not by government.

Posted

There's a happy medium up here in the north, I find - kind of mid way between high summer & mid winter.

In summer going to bed at 11pm or later in broad daylight make me feel like a kid again (and that's not something I want to repeat) and getting to sleep is a big problem, plus the birds start up a few short hours later and it is broad daylight & the sun is high before my alarm goes off. Bear in mind I have 2 large (16 & 19lbs in weight) cats who have body clocks that are ruled by daylight hours and you see the problem?

In winter, it is dark when I'm waiting for my bus at both ends of the day and often (if the weather is grey & rainy) it doesn't really get light at all. However, the cats can sleep for ever in the winter, so I get as much sleep as I need then.

Edited to add - imagine double daylight savings here in the summer - dark maybe by 2am and light again by 6? No dark at all? I think we'd all go mad... I surely would.

Edited by LadyPakal

Posted

I like the darkness in the run up the Christmas with lots of festive lights.

Gets a bit depressing come January and then I yearn for longer, warmer days.

Why did I write a comment, when these sentences describe EXACTLY how I feel about this!

Posted

...or we could replace the "nine to five, Monday to Friday" mentality with "eight to four", and continue to add more flexibility, therefore achieving the same result!

The Norwegians go in at 7am and home at 3pm normally - that is how they deal with it. French school kids start a bit earlier, finish at 2pm but go to school Saturday mornings to make time up (imagine, parents, being able to food shop on a Sat morning without the kids filling your trolley with stuff when you're not looking). Other countries manage to work around it, so why do we keep getting this same old argument about keeping the clocks forward every autumn?

Stick it to GMT and then leave it alone, I say.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

As I am up at 4am for work most mornings I find the dark very depressing, in the summer when it is light I have no problem at all getting up, it's a joy to wake up to the sun and the birds singing but on these dark mornings I often crawl back into bed for a while longer as I don't want to go out in the cold and dark.

Posted

I get up at 5.45 so I kind of expect it to be dark, it seems more unusual when it is light at that time. Plus, I am very much a morning person, I think everything looks so nice at sunrise I would rather be awake for that than asleep.

Posted

The answer to the spurious claim that "Putting clocks back damages our health" is simple: don't put the bloomin' things forward in the first place! :rolleyes:

And as for the idiot in the Daily Fail who thinks "most of us get up after sunrise for most of the year" - well sorry mate, but some of us actually have jobs and don't laze around in bed all day, rising only to cash the benefit giro and go off clubbing all night long .... :whistling:

Posted

The answer to the spurious claim that "Putting clocks back damages our health" is simple: don't put the bloomin' things forward in the first place! :rolleyes:

And as for the idiot in the Daily Fail who thinks "most of us get up after sunrise for most of the year" - well sorry mate, but some of us actually have jobs and don't laze around in bed all day, rising only to cash the benefit giro and go off clubbing all night long .... :whistling:

Excellent comment, especially the second sentence.

Posted

Jealous? :lol: Seriously tho' didn't you used to live up here Essan? That hour would give me in the central area, full daylight around 9.30am? Folks up north would be looking at at least 10am. Daylight at that time I suppose would also have an effect where the weather was concerned. Any warming of overnight low temeratures leading to frost, fog, snow etc would also take longer?

Posted

Seriously tho' didn't you used to live up here Essan?

For a short while - though have spent many winter holidays in the Highlands too

That hour would give me in the central area, full daylight around 9.30am? Folks up north would be looking at at least 10am. Daylight at that time I suppose would also have an effect where the weather was concerned. Any warming of overnight low temeratures leading to frost, fog, snow etc would also take longer?

Aye, it's bad enough down here!

But those who don't get up till 11.00am and like to play cricket in the evening in October think we'd be better off, so who are we to argue? :whistling: :unsure:

Edited by Essan

Posted

I find getting up depressing enough. Going to work only makes things worse.

Adding darkness into the equation makes even me get a bit glum.

Samaritans? :whistling: