Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A.J

England's Winter Of Cricket - The Ashes

Who will win the Ashes?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Ashes Prediction

• England to win
    • Australia to win
    • Drawn Series (Eng retain Ashes)

With the England squad preparing to fly out to Australia, I thought that time has come to start the winter cricket thread....A fascinating tour beckons, with England's cricket in the ascendency, and an expectant cricketing public..... The tour proper starts a week this Sunday with a 3 day match, followed by 2 further first class warm-up games before the 1st test at the Gabba, starting Nov 25th...

...Opinions of England's chances appear divided in the media, but personally, I'm going for a tightly fought series, with England to win 2-1 thus retaining the ashes...I feel Australia's attack will struggle to take 20 wickets on generally flat, but true pitches....England's bowling trump cards could well be Swann & Broad, and rather than the usual suspects such as Pieterson & Strauss, I've a hunch that Ian Bell could score an absolute stack full of runs and be a major influence on the series

I agree with a marginal (and hard-fought) England victory, but I think the series will hang on the performances of Englands bowlers (esp. Swann / Anderson) as I don't think our batters will get to grips with Siddle, North and Johnson until half way through the series. I back Belly to get a load as well. 

I am optimistic that England will do well over there this Winter.

Any side that loses Langer,Hayden,Gilgrist,Mcgrath and Warne are going to suffer.

All these guys were matchwinners on their day and the new generation will take some time to replace them.

I certainly feel this is Englands best chance to win the Ashes down under and, at the same time, increase their World Ranking.

I agree with a marginal (and hard-fought) England victory, but I think the series will hang on the performances of Englands bowlers (esp. Swann / Anderson) as I don't think our batters will get to grips with Siddle, North and Johnson until half way through the series. I back Belly to get a load as well. 

What makes you think North will be an influencing bowler!!?

What makes you think North will be an influencing bowler!!?

I  think our batters will milk Hauritz and Smith on flat wickets, and North may well end up bowling a lot more overs that people think. Long shot, I know, but I have a feeling.... 

England winning Down Under has been a struggle since WWI. Only in 1928-29, 1932-33, 1954-55, 1970-71, 1978-79 and 1986-87 have England actually beaten Australia in Australia.

I think Swann is going to be the key player. If England retains the Ashes, I will be amazed if Swann hadn't made a large contribution with the ball in achieiving this.

I  think our batters will milk Hauritz and Smith on flat wickets, and North may well end up bowling a lot more overs that people think. Long shot, I know, but I have a feeling.... 

fair point, as in North may well end up bowling a fair few overs, but that's good news for England, as he's a mediocre off-spinner at best....Smith, meanwhile has something about him, still very young, but enormous potential....unlikely to play for the 1st part of the series though IMO, as I'd expect Australia to go in with a 4 man attack, ie Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Bollinger & Hauritz...hopefully nothing to England's batsmen too many sleepless nights....(I really hope those are not famous last words!).....as a postscript, I forgot to mention, the one aussie bowler I believe to have the x-factor when it comers to making things happen is Peter Siddle...He's coming back after long-term injury, but he alone in my eyes has the consistent pace to rough up our batsmen, and the skill to out think our batsmen

I agree - Siddle worries me. I do think Aus are still trying to come to terms with selecting a team without a decent spinner. None of them can get the revs that Swann can, and even on Aus surfaces he must be keeping Ponting awake at nights already!

Solid start from England in their opening 3 day game, with a 6 wicket win against a strong Western Australia side.....Runs for Strauss (a century in the 2nd innings) Pieterson & Broad, and the wickets shared fairly equally amongst the bowlers, with Broad the most impressive of the quick bowlers

Solid start from England in their opening 3 day game, with a 6 wicket win against a strong Western Australia side.....Runs for Strauss (a century in the 2nd innings) Pieterson & Broad, and the wickets shared fairly equally amongst the bowlers, with Broad the most impressive of the quick bowlers

Its opener cooks form that worrys me!

For those with sky sports, the current 3 day game against Australia 'A' is being shown live, day 2 scheduled to start at around 2330 GMT

A convincing win today by England, crushing Australia 'A' by 10 wickets.....Tremlett had a great match, and may yet cause the selectors a re-think ahead of the 1st test match....Bell looks in commanding form with the bat, and there were runs for Cook & Colly....All the bowlers bowled well, causing all sorts of problems for the Aussie test match 'wannabies'......Dare I say it, things are looking very promising for England, but, and a big but, a totally different challenge lays ahead at the Gabba on thursday, the Aussies won't be pushovers, and on a track where there is expected to be plenty of help for the seam bowlers early on, the toss might well prove crucial.....Can't wait!

Now, why on Earth is this thread so quiet? I'm surprised there hasn't been excitement reaching fever pitch! There's just over 24 hours to go and I'm already starting to feel that nervous excitement. Staying up to watch Jimmy's first ball fly to 2nd slip...off the edge of the bat. pardon.gif

Just a few hours to go!..... :drinks::yahoo:

Strauss wins the toss, England to bat....interesting call, conditions the past few days in Brisbane have suited the bowlers....time will tell......20 minutes to go until start of play

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.......England skittled for 260 on a flat track......Am writing this test match off, England won't come back & win this test, for sure....and so, on to Adelaide :whistling:

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.......England skittled for 260 on a flat track......Am writing this test match off, England won't come back & win this test, for sure....and so, on to Adelaide :whistling:

Am I the only one who's not surprised?

Australia on their own patch are a totally different kettle of fish, and all this talk of winning the Ashes out there for the first time since Mike Gatting and co has been very premature...and looks a little silly at the moment. Sadly, it could look even sillier if the Aussies go on and make 400+ tomorrow.

Am I the only one who's not surprised?

Australia on their own patch are a totally different kettle of fish, and all this talk of winning the Ashes out there for the first time since Mike Gatting and co has been very premature...and looks a little silly at the moment. Sadly, it could look even sillier if the Aussies go on and make 400+ tomorrow.

No you're not the only one, the fragility of England’s batting has never really gone away. For me the old adage still holds true, form is fleeting, class is permanent. If you look at the career averages of England and Australia its obvious that there is a gap, their batsmen average more runs, and their bowlers concede less runs per wicket. England have closed the gap and we have not done badly of late, but Australia will regroup, they always seem to manage to do so, I think they will win this series. I only listened to the first hour last night, but it was clear that England were nervous, and it seemed obvious to me that they would not make a good score, so I was not surprised to see that they had been bowled out cheaply this morning. England do have one ace up their sleeves and that’s Swan, he is the one English player that would get in my world eleven, he is our best chance.

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather