Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Next Severe Gale Could Be Costly For 1000's

Richie V

Posted

Ok, on inspection of my roof today I descovered that there were many loose tiles, especially the top trusses. I highly suspect this was something to do with a very wet autum '09 followed by the coldest winter for the best part of 33 years ('09, '10)

All that moisture under the tiles expanding as it froze chipping and loosening the mortar between the tiles has pushed many of my tiles loose. On inspection of other houses on our estate, the same looks to be very prevelant.

It's not hard to imagine what happenes the next time we get 70 - 90mph gusts is it!

I suggest you all check for this, It could save you your xmas bonuses!! :mellow:

Ric

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

Indeed, I spent 10 hours on my roof this summer re-pointing all my ridge tiles. I must have brought down about 5 bucket loads of old broken mortar that had broken and rolled down the roof..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Tell me about it! We discovered a fault during the heavy snow of February. I landed up with a flooded hallway. It's an old house though (1900) and I suppose we have to be thankful that the fault, after inspection, highlighted many other faults which we weren't aware of. Still, all fixed now and ready for this winter! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Fortunately, but expensively, we had our roof stripped, lined, re-slated and re-pointed 2 years ago. It was just getting to the point where I was having to go up and there and patch it too often and I suspected one more severe gale would mean more than just minor repairs.

It's also nice not now having to go into the loft to remove several buckets of snow every time there's dry snow with a strong wind.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I thought you loved snow?

Not when it melts and brings the roof down....

Posted

Ok, on inspection of my roof today I descovered that there were many loose tiles, especially the top trusses. I highly suspect this was something to do with a very wet autum '09 followed by the coldest winter for the best part of 33 years ('09, '10)

All that moisture under the tiles expanding as it froze chipping and loosening the mortar between the tiles has pushed many of my tiles loose. On inspection of other houses on our estate, the same looks to be very prevelant.

It's not hard to imagine what happenes the next time we get 70 - 90mph gusts is it!

I suggest you all check for this, It could save you your xmas bonuses!! :mellow:

Ric

Have you got any moss on the roof, As it is the biggest under estimated problem that befalls roofs, when it

grows it expands and lifts the tiles or slates.

Posted

No moss, just a raised thatch.... Oooh err!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I thought you loved snow?

I love rain, gales and cold too but outside, not in.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

This evening could be one to watch in respect of this topic. Wind increasing quickly now, gusts of 37, 39mph.

As a frontal wave rushes through this evening and the first part of the night areas in northern england and the north mids may see gusts to 65 mph. These are my feelings only and not an official weather warning!!

Posted

Gusting in the high 40's now.... Just had a 51.3 Mph! Prehaps an advisory form Netweather would'nt go a miss! :cc_confused:

Posted

Gusting in the high 40's now.... Just had a 51.3 Mph! Prehaps an advisory form Netweather would'nt go a miss! :cc_confused:

no need now,you already know its wild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Nothing much on the NE Coast today:

Durham Max Gust: 25.9km/h

Wallsend (East Newcastle) Max Gust: 49.9km/h

South Shields (Coastline) Max Gust: 54.8km/h (as of 1015am, not recorded since, potentially much higher)

Edited by Isolated Frost

Tell me about it! We discovered a fault during the heavy snow of February. I landed up with a flooded hallway. It's an old house though (1900) and I suppose we have to be thankful that the fault, after inspection, highlighted many other faults which we weren't aware of. Still, all fixed now and ready for this winter! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I remember that happening to you Blitzen :( You did stay remarkably calm throughout though :)

I think the next proper severe gale to hit west central Scotland will be very costly, it hasn't happened since the winter of 98/99 which is a good while ago now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

You mean this one on the 26th/27th December 1998?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1998/Rrea00119981227.gif

There were then some wintry showers in western areas from a south-westerly on the 28th, and a few of those penetrated to inland parts of north-east England (I remember going on a trip out into west County Durham and there were some sleet/snow flurries), but it was mild again by the 29th. I don't think Tyneside was as heavily hit by the Atlantic storm on the 26th/27th as western Scotland, though it still got very windy.

There were then some wintry showers in western areas from a south-westerly on the 28th, and a few of those penetrated to inland parts of north-east England (I remember going on a trip out into west County Durham and there were some sleet/snow flurries), but it was mild again by the 29th. I don't think Tyneside was as heavily hit by the Atlantic storm on the 26th/27th as western Scotland, though it still got very windy.

Yes, the Boxing Day storm in 1998 was very severe (gusts of 93mph at Glasgow Airport), although there was another fairly severe storm on the 4th of January 1999 (gusts of 83mph at Glasgow Airport).

Nothing since then has touched this. The peak gust at Glasgow Airport since then is a mere 75mph.

I certainly remember the chill after the storm on the 26th, there are photos somewhere in my parents' house of many fallen trees thick with frost in the days after the storm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

remember that storm well, we were driving back from my grandparents after a boxing day tea, in the dark with trees and branches coming down and we lost 3 ridge tiles off the house was very scary

Edited by james12

remember that storm well, we were driving back from my grandparents after a boxing day tea, in the dark with trees and branches coming down and we lost 3 ridge tiles off the house was very scary

I drove home from work that night (with wheelie bins bouncing over my car) and after negotiating several pavements to get past fallen trees had to drive round the really bizarre sight of an upside down caravan spinning around and around in the middle of the road on the way home.

Posted

I drove home from work that night (with wheelie bins bouncing over my car) and after negotiating several pavements to get past fallen trees had to drive round the really bizarre sight of an upside down caravan spinning around and around in the middle of the road on the way home.

it was very severe, and there was a corrigated barn in the field near my house and it eneded up being wrapped like tin foil round the trees, the last decent storm we had here was january 2005 when a gust of 104mph was recorded on the cumbrian coast at st bee's head. probably the worse one i can ever remember

Edited by james12

Posted

Late sunday needs watching, could be a real wild one if ECM and GFS are to believed.

it was very severe, and there was a corrigated barn in the field near my house and it eneded up being wrapped like tin foil round the trees, the last decent storm we had here was january 2005 when a gust of 104mph was recorded on the cumbrian coast at st bee's head. probably the worse one i can ever remember

The really weird thing about the Jan 2005 storm was that the north of Scotland was thrashed and you were thrashed in the north of England. Here in the south of Scotland the winds were starting to get to the level of very frightening when they simply stopped. Weird...

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

The really weird thing about the Jan 2005 storm was that the north of Scotland was thrashed and you were thrashed in the north of England. Here in the south of Scotland the winds were starting to get to the level of very frightening when they simply stopped. Weird...

found this as an intersting read on the meto site, when will there next be mean winds of 63knts (72mph) and a top gust of 88knts (101mph) on the cumbrian coast...

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/jan2005wind/