Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coast

Beyond Smoke Free

The anti-smoking charity ASH Scotland, is calling for more stringent and wide-ranging bans on smoking. One of its proposals is a 'consultation on introducing legislation to ban smoking in vehicles and the development of "robust" intermediate and endpoint targets to reduce the effects of passive smoking in the home and in vehicles'

What are your views on extending the current smoking ban to vehicles and even your own home?

www.bbc.co.uk/scotland

Why not just ban vehicles and then we can improve everyones health and the number of respiratory admissions to hospitals would drop ten fold.

Even though I'm strongly against smoking, I'm not a fan of this approach, and half-expected proposals like this to arise when the smoking ban was first introduced (it's a logical extension of it).

Although I agreed with the general premise of the smoking ban in public places I felt that it was too "broad-brush", for although most public places have benefitted from the ban, there are, for example, a minority of pubs/bars that rely upon smokers for custom and which have thus been disadvantaged. I would have preferred to see individual places allowed to apply to use designated smoking areas, and the main opposing arguments that I came across ("the ban will be positive overall so why bother looking for an even better implementation?", "it's a blanket ban in Ireland so it should be the same in the UK because the law is the law", and "why cater for people who take up the filthy habit?") were hardly convincing.

To me this looks like a "slippery slope" method of prohibition by stealth via small incremental erosion of where people can and can't smoke, and I have my doubts about the effectiveness of this as a method of stamping out smoking, it is likely to produce similar side-effects to the "war on drugs".

Why not just ban vehicles and then we can improve everyones health and the number of respiratory admissions to hospitals would drop ten fold.

I think vehicles get exempted because they have a lot more practical use, but nonetheless there's a good point in there- there are some gaping double standards re. how smoking is treated vs. other sources of potentially harmful "passive inhalation".

Im sure any ban on smoking in cars will be as effective as the one on not using mobile phones.......

I should also make it clear that my earlier post referred to mandatory laws- I don't have anything against people choosing to enforce smoke-free policies on their own premises. (In itself, that poses real questions about the logistics of banning smoking in cars, homes etc- people can impose "bans" themselves if they want to!).

They'll not stop me,I'll just pull over on the hard shoulder then climb in the back and puff away discretely in the rear seat footspace. When the bobbies come a-knocking on the window and flashing their torches around I'll say I've lost me tanner for the emergency telephone. Ha!

M'Lord and I already enforce the smoking ban in our home.

If you don't like it, don't visit. Simple.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to light up in someone else's house. But on another note shortly after the legislation was introduced I was standing on a windswept country railway platform (couldn't really call it a station) having a quiet smoke when this urchin of about 12 sidled up. After a brief sizing up he said, "you aren't allowed to smoke on the platform mister". After I ignored this he moved on to my mobile phone, "blimey, I thought those went out with the ark". I was contemplating how to manouvre him towards the edge when unfortunately the train arrived.

I fully agreed with the public smoking ban, but this would be going too far IMO.

Yeah, I completely agreed with the smoking ban but how can you stop people smoking in their houses or in their cars.

Although smoking whilst driving is dangerous I think - some of my friends smoke whilst driving and so then they drive with just one hand on the wheel which cant be much safer than using a mobile phone.

I also think that smoking around children, either in the car, house or outside should be banned or frowned upon.

I tend not to smoke anywhere bar my own house and outside, I don't even smoke in the playground when I take my kid there, I simply stand outside the gate. Although if I'm a passenger in a vehicle and the driver smokes, I tend to follow their instuctions on wether they allow me to smoke in the car or not.

If I'm having a smoke while my kid is in the house I take it to a different room and keep the window open.

One thing I definitely miss is not being able to have a cigarette while I'm playing snooker.

Im sure any ban on smoking in cars will be as effective as the one on not using mobile phones.......

I'm a non smoker and always have been, I strongly support a ban in public places, but this is pointless. As you have rightly pointed out they can't enforce the ban on using mobiles, I see somebody driving using one of those almost every time I go out, better to get that one sorted out than start worrying about people having a fag. I have to say that people using mobiles while driving makes my blood boil, personally I would ban them for life. My wife an I were almost run off a duel carriage way last year by a man in an articulated lorry veering across the road because he was busy texting.

I am a smoker and disagree with the ban we already have in place, I simply see no reason why we cannot have freedom to choose? Bars / clubs can have what policy they like, if they decide non smoking that's fine with me. Public places is just plain daft to be honest, and is pretty much just a bit of spite towards smokers more then any thing else. 1 minute waiting to cross a road is about the same as standing all day next to someone smoking in the park.

A lot of reformed smokers appear to lead this campaign and it has more to do with the fact they don't want to see others enjoy a smoke then any health issues. It should be noted that car pollution is predicted to have caused a massive increase in childhood asthma, yet this government does not even make exhaust pipes facing the centre of the road mandatory.

There really is lot of rubbish spoken about this subject, I wonder how many here agree with the ban and will get in their cars tomorrow and cause a 1000 times more damage? They may even see a cyclist having a ciggy in the park and think what a bad chap he is !

You can't use a mobile phone while driving, so what we do in our cars does obviously affect others. And if your cigarette smoke goes out of your car and affects people in the street then that can be an argument towards banning it in certain places?

You can't use a mobile phone while driving, so what we do in our cars does obviously affect others. And if your cigarette smoke goes out of your car and affects people in the street then that can be an argument towards banning it in certain places?

Too right! And what happens when a lighted cigarette falls onto one's 'lap'? :crazy:

Too right! And what happens when a lighted cigarette falls onto one's 'lap'? :crazy:

Light up another one? When I'm out on me motorbike I find it dreadfully frustrating and a trifle inconvenient that I have to stop if I want a fag and/or use the phone.

I'm quite positive that people are getting more damage through exhaust emissions than even the sniffle of a chance of a small puff of smoke passing ones face because of a smoker in a car.

I'm quite positive that people are getting more damage through exhaust emissions than even the sniffle of a chance of a small puff of smoke passing ones face because of a smoker in a car.

Absolutely! At the hangar-door entrance to our works there's one of those ubiquitous "smoking prohibited beyond this point" type signs. Yet anyone crossing the threshold is instantly plunged into a noxious atmosphere of oil vapour/smoke,airborne metal particles,burnt wood fumes etc etc. Can be really bad at times. Still,good to know the PTB have my best interests at heart by removing fag smoke from the mix. Even if I'm there alone it's still illegal. Come on,what's that all about? A non-smoker would be hard-pressed to detect the presence of tobacco in that miasma,and the other aforementioned nasties would be a million times more hazardous. World's gone soft in head if you ask me,next thing someone will be suggesting that cigarette smoke is contributing to climate change and We Have To Act and .... er,hold on.

Personally i am all for the ban, i am sick of sitting in the back seat or passenger seat and smelling smoke. Unfortunately, i cannot see it being easily enforced.

Personally i am all for the ban, i am sick of sitting in the back seat or passenger seat and smelling smoke. Unfortunately, i cannot see it being easily enforced.

Why travel with them then? If you are happy to use their transport then you should be prepared to allow them to smoke.

Whilst I am all for the ban on smoking in public enclosed spaces, I do believe people have a right to smoke in their own private spaces.

I trust you're talking about taxis and not private vehicles?? If I was kind enough to offer someone a lift (as I often do with the agency staff I encounter) and they were rude enough to remark that my car's interior wasn't to their liking,they'd find themselves stood at the side of the road in short order.

I don't know why anyone needs to smoke whilst driving, but I totally oppose any ban on them doing so unless it can be convincingly demonstrated that doing so is dangerous to other road users.

I think there should be respect between the driver and passengers. I think it would be rather inconsiderate of a driver to smoke heavily while driving out a heavily asthmatic passenger for example. But this is the sort of thing that is better "governed" between individuals than by a law that would punish a lot of innocent people, and I think the same applies generally to smoking in private places such as the home.

I think there should be respect between the driver and passengers. I think it would be rather inconsiderate of a driver to smoke heavily while driving out a heavily asthmatic passenger for example. But this is the sort of thing that is better "governed" between individuals than by a law that would punish a lot of innocent people, and I think the same applies generally to smoking in private places such as the home.

See - it ain't rocket science! Now if I ever go to someone's drum and they have the audacity to open a jar of that dreadful peanut butter stuff.....

Well being a smoker myself I've naturally defended smoker's "rights". Last week,like a bolt from the blue I decided I was going to give up. I set the date (Mon 8th Nov),and went up to the hospital's smoking cessation service right then to prepare myself for the said date (which was yesterday,obviously!!). I've tried cold-turkey in the distant past and it's always ended in tears so this time I decided to get support. After a very interesting/eye-opening three quarters of an hour at the hospital,I came away with a prescription for some full strength nicotine patches and a nasal nicotine spray for the most intense cravings. I haven't had a cig for nearly 48 hours and I can tell you it's grim. Very grim. The nasal spray is like having pepper spray squirted up your nose and results in streaming eyes and sneezing and coughing. So unpleasant that I'm reluctant to use it until the craving gets too much. Gotta say it works tho' - one hit is the same as having one cig. Seems to be defeating the object I know,but I'm trying (as advised) to deal with the 30year- long habit of smoking first,then the addiction to nicotine. But it's not as bad as previous attempts. The aids are just enough,so far,to keep me from cracking,and I've only resorted to the nasal spray 5 or 6 times,and I took my patch off about 4 hours ago and don't yet feel the need to put a new one on. Folk I've spoke to who've been thru' this assure me that day 3 is the worst and then it slowly,so slowly gets better. Will I make it? I actually believe I will,this time.