Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stewfox

What's With The French ?

I dont get the French.

You cant study till you 35 work till your 40 then expect a full pension after that for the next 60 years ??

Are the us of the 1980s ? Do they think money grows on trees ?.

http://af.reuters.co...WEA290720101019

http://www.telegraph...l-services.html

http://www.guardian....trikes-protests

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-11572610

http://nowtnews.com/...iker-dismissed/

I dont get the French.

You cant study till you 35 work till your 40 then expect a full pension after that for the next 60 years ??

Are the us of the 1980s ? Do they think money grows on trees ?.

http://af.reuters.co...WEA290720101019

http://www.telegraph...l-services.html

http://www.guardian....trikes-protests

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-11572610

http://nowtnews.com/...iker-dismissed/

Er no, they have a much better grasp of what is truly important in life, and it's got nothing to do with balance sheets, earnings per share, dividend yields, year on year growth and all that carp. Maybe they're saying, we're all happy to be a little bit poorer during our working lives if it means we can relax and enjoy the wine and the sun a few years earlier - I know, crazy aren't they !!!!!!!!!!!

We live in a rediculously debt based world propogated by the banking / political cartel.

The sooner we break out of it the better.

At least the French are getting off their collective assee and doing something.

Whats the point of working until whenever if its only to serve burgers at MacD's ?

The French would revolt over a change to a 10 minute fart break. They always want their cake and eat it and have visons of gradneur beyond their station in the world arena. They only have EU headquarters in Brussels and Strasbourg so the French economy gets a boost every fortnight.

I cannot however take a nation serously that can reclassify the snail as a fish (land- based) to get EU fishery subsidies for farmers and no sympathy for having to work 2 extra years until 62.

They have however other wider issues where their immigration policies and breakdown of multi-cultural society is causing unemployment issues. France has real political problems beyong the blinkered attidue of the public towards the ecomony. The expulsion, bordering on ethnic cleansing, of the Romany's is very disturbing.

The French are revolting!

Are we going a little too soft in this country?? The French are up in arms about retiring 3 YEARS before we already have to (and that will rise), they are rioting and it won't be long before the farmers are out blocking motorways with tractors and fishing boats will be blocking harbours. What do the Brits do? stay calm and sit firm.......... :doh:

I remember the fuel protests when we were all up in arms about prices that were rising to 10 or 15% LOWER than they are now - but I don't see any protests or complaints about it. I also see lots of whinging about the cost of food rising (and jeez has it risen in the last year!) but again, no one is taking any direct action or making public demonstrations about it.

Perhaps we should get like the French and show how we really feel - or perhaps we can't be bothered to get off our rear ends because X-Factor is on..... :unsure:

They are indeed. Bunch of arrogant ingrates who think the State should provide everything and grow money n trees (using EU subsidies). And if they can't get their own way they'l make their own lives - and that of ther family and friends and neighbours - even worse out of spite. There are actually 273 known dead Dodos who are recognised as more intelligent than the French.

Hopefully most Britons are living in the real world and accept responsibility for themselves.

Still, simple solution to the problem. Start work at 12. Compulsory euthanasia at 65 :lol:

Are we going a little too soft in this country?? The French are up in arms about retiring 3 YEARS before we already have to (and that will rise), they are rioting and it won't be long before the farmers are out blocking motorways with tractors and fishing boats will be blocking harbours. What do the Brits do? stay calm and sit firm.......... :doh:

I remember the fuel protests when we were all up in arms about prices that were rising to 10 or 15% LOWER than they are now - but I don't see any protests or complaints about it. I also see lots of whinging about the cost of food rising (and jeez has it risen in the last year!) but again, no one is taking any direct action or making public demonstrations about it.

Perhaps we should get like the French and show how we really feel - or perhaps we can't be bothered to get off our rear ends because X-Factor is on..... :unsure:

the exact sentiments have been aired here in work this morning... and we are all agreed here that letting it just go over our heads with total surrender is probably why its so easy for it to be done in the UK

Er no, they have a much better grasp of what is truly important in life, and it's got nothing to do with balance sheets, earnings per share, dividend yields, year on year growth and all that carp. Maybe they're saying, we're all happy to be a little bit poorer during our working lives if it means we can relax and enjoy the wine and the sun a few years earlier - I know, crazy aren't they !!!!!!!!!!!

Don’t get me wrong I do believe the £8.3 billion Goldman Sachs set aside for salary bonuses could be better timed , i.e. in a few weeks time.

Despite profits plunging 40% its only giving bankers on average £314,000 a year surely you feel sorry for them ?

However

In 1910 you worked 79% of your life (aged 14 to 65 dropped dead at 66).

2010 you work from 19 to 60 50% of your life (drop dead at 82).

Do the Maths it cant go on and support the bankers at the same time ??.

Yeah we should definitely be more like the French, things might actually change for the better - atm the government just walks over everyone.

@Coast

That fuel protest was a waste of time too, if the lorry drivers had continued to blockade the refineries for a couple of more days we (the people) might have actually got what we wanted. But we got nothing...

I could talk about fuel prices all day, because its the biggest injustice there is today in the UK. DOUBLE taxing of petrol has to stop, please remove the VAT.

However

In 1910 you worked 79% of your life (aged 14 to 65 dropped dead at 66).

2010 you work from 19 to 60 50% of your life (drop dead at 82).

Do the Maths it cant go on and support the bankers at the same time ??.

Maybe the current 'older' generation can retire at 60 in the UK. I've got to work till 68 before claiming state pension (if of course that still exists by then) and goodness knows what age my child will have to work till before they can retire.

I respect the French for having the back bone to protest, although they do tend to protest over any change (which can be a bit tedious). I wish the UK had a bit of oomph in us sometimes instead of letting the Government and Bankers walk all over us!

In my experience, in our society many people complain about things a lot, but the moment you suggest actually doing something about them, the stance changes abruptly to "that's life, it can't be helped because that's just the way it is, deal with it, and be thankful for how lucky you are!".

Which of course is completely the wrong way around- that kind of stance is most suitable for dealing with non-constructive rants from pessimists which do little other than to reduce morale, not constructive suggestions for improvement.

As for France, it will vary across different parts of the country, but having been on holiday there numerous times in the last decade and a bit, I get a sense that there are many cultural differences with respect to much of Britain, with some positive differences and some negative ones. On economic issues I like their greater emphasis on social factors rather than the "work and money is all that matters" philosophy, but on the other hand, they also seem plagued by inefficiency, which won't make for a good economy. Similarly, I like their willingness to make their voices heard, but they also seem plagued by destructive strikes/demonstrations where, in some cases, it's more about individual groups being self-centred rather than aiming for the good of the country as a whole.

Thats the trouble with the brits we to bloody lazy to get off our backside and do something.

Yeah we should definitely be more like the French, things might actually change for the better - atm the government just walks over everyone.

@Coast

That fuel protest was a waste of time too, if the lorry drivers had continued to blockade the refineries for a couple of more days we (the people) might have actually got what we wanted. But we got nothing...

I could talk about fuel prices all day, because its the biggest injustice there is today in the UK. DOUBLE taxing of petrol has to stop, please remove the VAT.

Correct, but if the prices were lower it would send dangerous signals concerning abundant supply - and such a supply is certainly not abundant with respect to demand around the world.

Maybe the current 'older' generation can retire at 60 in the UK. I've got to work till 68 before claiming state pension (if of course that still exists by then) and goodness knows what age my child will have to work till before they can retire.

I respect the French for having the back bone to protest, although they do tend to protest over any change (which can be a bit tedious). I wish the UK had a bit of oomph in us sometimes instead of letting the Government and Bankers walk all over us!

Here's how Britain treats its old people: -

A 94-year-old war hero today pledged to hand back his medals after the Government refused to give him his winter fuel allowance.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz12vUxI8cG

Yeah we should definitely be more like the French, things might actually change for the better

Yes, it would be so much better if we had no petrol, food was running out, no-one could work, petty dictators were holding the country to ransom because they wanted to run it, and there were yobs rioting in the streets :rolleyes:

Stil, if you like the French system so much, there's a simple answer: Move (that's if you can, it may be a week before your ferry gets into port:p ) We won't miss you.

Here's how Britain treats its old people: -

A 94-year-old war hero today pledged to hand back his medals after the Government refused to give him his winter fuel allowance.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz12vUxI8cG

Thank the gods Brown's no longer in charge then :p Though I doubt the story is quite as portrayed in the Daily Fail :winky:

I've got to work till 68 before claiming state pension

How do you know that? It'll probably true depending on how old you are now (I never expect to retire), but even today the retirement age has only gone up to 66 from 2020 ..... :unsure:

In my experience, in our society many people complain about things a lot

Yes, but we know that a) it's wonderful living in a country where we can complain about things and b ) we really actually haven't got anything to complain about.

How many people today really can't afford a takeaway and therefore have to make their own pizza at home from fresh ingredients instead ?

The British are too busy working and sending all our money to europe so the likes of the french can afford to go on strike!

Thank the gods Brown's no longer in charge then :p Though I doubt the story is quite as portrayed in the Daily Fail :winky:

I always check secondary sources: -

http://www.portsmout...n-94.5809826.jp

They are pondering CUTTING winter fuel allowance: -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/liberaldemocrats/8052352/Chris-Huhne-Winter-fuel-allowance-could-be-cut.html

How do you know that? It'll probably true depending on how old you are now (I never expect to retire), but even today the retirement age has only gone up to 66 from 2020 ..... :unsure:

Here: http://pensions.direct.gov.uk/en/state-pension-age-calculator/home.asp

Although bizarely, my retirement age has gone down from 68 to 67 years, 7 months and 27 days. Something to look forward to in 2045 then!

Well my pensionable age on that site comes up as 66 - I can't see how your figure comes about? The site doesn't give days and months - just that exact date (and age) at which you beome pensionable. Which happens to be your 66th birthday :cc_confused:

Yes, but we know that a) it's wonderful living in a country where we can complain about things and b ) we really actually haven't got anything to complain about.

How many people today really can't afford a takeaway and therefore have to make their own pizza at home from fresh ingredients instead ?

Unfortunately that's reminiscent of "we don't need to improve the way things are- we should be happy with our lot, at least we aren't the starving children in Africa", an attitude that hinders our chances of making life better than it already is.

Well my pensionable age on that site comes up as 66 - I can't see how your figure comes about? The site doesn't give days and months - just that exact date (and age) at which you beome pensionable. Which happens to be your 66th birthday :cc_confused:

I've just done it again (to make sure I wasn't dreaming last night!) and it defintaly comes up with the figure I posted above. Maybe my date of birth is on the cusp of eventual age being 68 (having typed my daughters DOB in, thats the age that came up for her)

I not going mad, honestly - I'm female, date of birth 9/11/77

Give the government an inch, they will take a mile.

The French are doing the right thing.

In a way, I agree there.

But, if we (or, more importantly, our elected representatives) acted in our interests a tad more often, France would become, like us, a net contributor to the EU, and our own contribution could become smaller and fairer? Why must we subsidize the wilful backwardness of a huge country like France??

And I say the above as a pro-European!

‎

"...Whereas in France they're running up and down the street and striking and setting fire to random objects and their cuts haven't even started yet. It's as if this is their warm-up match to get in practice and decide on the best formation for the real tournament. The Spanish have had a general strike, the Greeks are in a state of permanent revolt, and even the Belgians have had strikes and mass demonstrations. How humiliating is that? We're being put to shame by the bloody Belgians. How did we become so subservient and docile? It's as if the rest of Europe is preparing for mass protest and our slogan is, "I can't make it I'm afraid, I've got a tummy ache."

The unions have called for a demonstration against the cuts next March. Next bloody March. Even then they'll probably get frightened and call it off, and replace it with a "Gasp of Action", in which we're asked to go, "Ooh" at the same time to show our displeasure at the fire service being sold off to Balfour Beatty.

… You can understand why a population feels unable to confront unfairness, if it's up against the North Korean army or the dictatorships of China or Zimbabwe. But surely we can't allow every public service to be dismantled and the poorest 90 per cent of the population to be wrung dry with no opposition, and say: "Well what could we do? I mean, never mind Mugabe or Kim Jong-Il, we were up against Vince Cable."

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/mark-steel/mark-steel-shamed-by-our-spirit-of-protest-2111258.html

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather