MAF

Is your heating on yet?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Heating on?

• yes
    • no
    • too early
    • live in an igloo
    • whats global warming got to do with it??
    • only when "he's" not home

Posted

Hello everyone. i thought it was about time i started my usual thread as to whether you have had to put your indoor heating on yet.

i have to admit it cranked the thermostat up a few degrees last night to check the system was working OK, but am not sure its cool enough for it to go fully on yet.

so? have you put yours on yet?

Edited by MAF

Posted

We have been managing here and are trying to hold off till atleast november, unlikely given next weeks weather projections. Especially considering we're on the Brecon Beacons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Not got the heating on here either, but its getting mighty close, was pretty chilly this morning! Not normally on until November.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Yes! First time has been tonight...its just been too cold in the house.

Posted

yes had it on and off since end of july but only because my nan feels the cold because of illness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Had it on for about a fortnight now. The wind up here always makes it a lot colder than the bare temp suggests.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Hello everyone. i thought it was about time i started my usual thread as to whether you have had to put your indoor heating on yet.

i have to admit it cranked the thermostat up a few degrees last night to check the system was working OK, but am not sure its cool enough for it to go fully on yet.

so? have you put yours on yet?

Where is 'my partner has but I have turned it off' ? :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Where is 'my partner has but I have turned it off' ? :whistling:

:lol:

Exactly my problem, the lovely lady wife turns it on and when she isnt looking i turn it off again.

I wouldnt have the heating on until November given the choice. I did lit the fire today though as a compromise and, as its nice to sit by the fire when its dark outside, I dont mind so much. I do find radiator heat very uncomfortable and drying but a real fire heat not so :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Had it on and off for about 2 weeks now but it's been on most of the time this week keeping it on a nice 20.5-21.5c cycle whenever we're in the house. Been keeping it a bit warmer than usual as I've been ill so needed to keep warm whilst doing very little recovering!

If this place hadn't been heated by now it'd be 14-15c in the warmer spots by now which isn't sufficient unless you're in constant motion.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

I've put in a coal fire and I'm anjoying every bit of smoke and spitting wood you can imagine.

I've decided to warm up the living room more this year than warming up the whole house. A cold upstairs is a healthy one. If you wake up with a warm nose then it's not healthy. Cold noses and ice inside the windows is a must.

Coal is £60 for a 1/4 tonne here and I've been using logs as well and my stock is going down too.

Need to get stocked up with more fuel for the winter. Not prepared to pay £28 a week like last winter. Cost me a fortune.

I'd rather pay that amount and a little more if need be and have a roaring fire in the room. You just can't beat it. ( tis crackiling away as we speak )

and, the ground floor of the house is still warm in the morning and no need for the heating to go on to take the chill off.

The 2 cats and 2 dogs love it and the kids and other 'alf are getting used to it slowly, they;ve never had an open fireplace or even seen fire before in a house !

Cold weather bring it on, gales and power cuts, deep snow and blocked roads, fire blazing.....I will stay warm even if I have to burn my collection of books.

Posted

I'm in student halls this year and its rather cold without the heating on already. I'm not looking forward to the prospective indoor temps during next weeks cold snap.

Posted

got a roaring fire going tonight!

Lovely. :D I haven't had the heater on here all the time yet, I've given it a couple of quick bursts now and then such as in the morning when it's cold but probably be a few weeks before I'd put it on more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Have it firmly OFF in my room in my halls of residence. I have the window open most of the day too. Although I will admit it is starting to get rather chilly :D

Posted

Have it firmly OFF in my room in my halls of residence. I have the window open most of the day too. Although I will admit it is starting to get rather chilly :D

Haven't had my heating on yet in my hall, in a south facing room so the sun has kept it warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

I always find this weird. I put the heating on when we're cool in our house. And vice versa. It's usually on more in the winter, but we could have it on for a while on any day of the year, July or January!

Posted

Usually need a run of sharp frosts before I need the heating on for an hour or two first thing in the morning. If the temp is dropping down below -6c at night it may come on for a short while in the evening. I'm at work 6 days a week, so it's rare indeed for me to put it on during the day, though I may for a few hours if it's cold over Christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Ours has been on intermittently for the past month or so now. When we pick up low cloud and a lack of sun for long periods (like last week and this) the house cools down quite quickly. We are well insulated, walls, loft, doors, windows etc but that damp feeling just gets everywhere! It's not on the timer yet, but I don't think it will be long.

Posted

We've been having the wood burner on virtually every night since August 25 — I work from home, and it gets really cold just sat in front of a computer all day, so I like to warm up in the evenings and go to bed feeling warm. But we're trying not to put the central heating on until November, last year we managed Nov 5!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Ours goes on for an hour of a morning and then about 5pm till 8pm, for now, no doubt this will increase over the next month or so.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Ours has been on intermittently for the past month or so now. When we pick up low cloud and a lack of sun for long periods (like last week and this) the house cools down quite quickly. We are well insulated, walls, loft, doors, windows etc but that damp feeling just gets everywhere! It's not on the timer yet, but I don't think it will be long.

Aye Blitzen, it's that damp dreich and dreary time of the year :whistling:

I have it on the timer now, but only for getting up in the morning as I always feel cold when I am tired :lazy:

Otherwise it's only on, as and when we might be feeling a wee bit chilly :cold:

Big Innes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Now i know you liked the cold but... :lol: