Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rollo

The Chilean Mine Rescue

I am surprised nobody has commented on the wonderful news of the complete success of the rescue attempt in chile.Watching the BBC live coverage was a most wonderful experience. There really is very little good news these days and I feel this brought everyone together in an exceptional way.

Totally agree, it's nice to have something happy to listen to in the news :)

It's a great story and will make a fantastic film which no doubt will happen !!

I hope they never have to go back down there again.

Sadly, it seems world copper investors want them to.

Fantastic story, so glad it all ended well. I kept welling up everytime they showed them getting out of the mine :blush:

and some have already expressed a wish to carry on working in mines....

It is a great story in a generally bad news world! I'll admit it made me feel an ickle bit emotional and I am amazed at how these guys have kept themselves physically and mental well.

I followed the rescue online yesterday and every time a miner was brought to the surface and reunited with his family I welled up. Their positivity, courage, faith and love are a shining example of humanity at its best.

Totally agree, it's nice to have something happy to listen to in the news :)

It's a great story and will make a fantastic film which no doubt will happen !!

yes its good to have a + story making the headlines for once. Quite how they must have felt, and their families, from day 1 is hard to comprehend, nor on what effect on them long term this will have.

re the last comment, if the story in one newspaper is correct then they are rumoured to being offered £300, 000 to each miner for their story and film rights. if that is the case then they hardly need to go down another mine?

if the story in one newspaper is correct then they are rumoured to being offered £300, 000 to each miner for their story and film rights. if that is the case then they hardly need to go down another mine?

Interesting proposition - I'm still not sure I would like to spend two months trapped underground, even for that kind of money!

A happy ending for these very very lucky guys.

There was a very disturbing piece on BBC R4 news last night saying that at least 12,000 people die each year in the mining industry worldwide. The real figure could be as high as 25,000 as many deaths, particularly in China, go unreported. The same report also said this particular Chilean mile had been closed in 2007 and subsequently reopened without any of the health and saftey issues being addressed.

http://af.reuters.com/article/drcNews/idAFLDE6961Y320101011?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0&sp=true

Yes I'm afraid mining regs. Chile and other countries are virtually nonexistant. I believe one of the trapped miners complained of lack of safety regs. prior to the collapse and was told that there plenty of others to do your job if you are not happy. So they get on with the job as they have family to feed. I fear though this is not as bad as Bolivia. Bit like Britain in the 19th century.

http://news.bbc.co.u...cas/7448032.stm

Yes I'm afraid mining regs. Chile and other countries are virtually nonexistant.

Perhaps this is why?

Copper miners will struggle to meet soaring demand in 2011, the world’s two largest producers have warned, painting a bullish picture for the metal, which many senior traders and investors expect will reach a record within the next year.

www.ft.com

(not an excuse, just the reality in many parts of the World)

Im so glad all the miniors made it up its not often the news reports happy endings so its nice for once that it was a very happy ending and did it all in 24 hours :D

Their miners its there life why wouldn’t many of them want to go back down.

There probably going to have to struggle with a few live USA chat shows before they do.

We all need copper, 'the copper investors', provide it.

It’s a great story and of H&S etc needs to be improved World Wide.

There probably going to have to struggle with a few live USA chat shows before they do.

We all need copper, 'the copper investors', provide it.

It’s a great story and of H&S etc needs to be improved World Wide.

Working hours should be shortened considerably, and of course H&S.

Working hours should be shortened considerably, and of course H&S.

I guess they'll be pleased with that, if they are paid hourly.........

see below, that is IF it is true?

if the story in one newspaper is correct then they are rumoured to being offered £300, 000 to each miner for their story and film rights. if that is the case then they hardly need to go down another mine?

If reports are to be believed, then a new movie is going to be made on the Chilean miners incident, the film will reportedly have no one other than the hot Spaniard Javier Bardem to play the part of one of the miners.

post-10773-036578400 1287068080_thumb.jp

[ I wonder if he would like some help learning his lines]

I guess they'll be pleased with that, if they are paid hourly.........

I think that idea is entirely workable if we aim for improved efficiency and more emphasis on rewarding people for the quality/quantity of their work and effort rate rather than the amount of time that they spend on it (we get a lot of inefficiency resulting from the "work expands to fill hours" syndrome). But it wouldn't work if we stuck with people being paid hourly.

In the meantime, I can only echo what a lot of others have said, isn't it great to be hearing a positive news story with a happy ending for once?

yes its good to have a + story making the headlines for once.

Thats why nobody commented on it here :wallbash: its easy to be negative and look for bad in everything..nice to see something positive for once

I think it's all a con. Did you see the state of them when they emerged? They looked a lot cleaner/fitter/healthier and happier than me after 8 hours at' mill, I can tell you. Maybe they had a salon or summink down there to prepare them to greet the waiting world. It's like that guy on the teevee ad for van insurance when he's banging on about "after a hard days work" but looks like he's just got outta the bath.....

Isn't it great to be hearing a positive news story with a happy ending for once?

I bet he never thought even in his wildest dreams this could ever happen...

[The miner Edison Pena, who was rescued from a copper mine in Chile last October, has fulfilled a lifelong ambition by singing Elvis Presley songs at the singer's home in Tennessee.

Pena, who sang Elvis songs to lift the spirits of his 32 colleagues during their seven weeks underground, was on a six day trip to Memphis]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-12143311

Drilling the rescue shaft was on tv all the time, it was boring...

Shall we put you thousands of feet underground instead then? Pathetic.

• Some first weekend of Summer - even the pigeons don't fancy it

Gusting winds, showers and persistent rain - not the type of weather you'd usually associate with the first weekend of summer. But there will be some improvement through the weekend and into next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2020-06-05 21:46:10 Valid: 06/06/2020 0600 - 07/06/2020 0600 THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - SAT 6TH JUNE 2020 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather