Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

*Save Rob McElwee!*

Posted

Bah, apart from Peter Gibbs there's no one else there whose forecasting style really interests me. Laura Tobin is very pretty but extremely dull.

The most telling sentence in the Daily Mail article is that the 3 forecasters are getting the chop because 'they failed in the team leadership interview'.

That's depressing if true.

Posted

Yes and we all paid however many £000,s for some idiot HR media twit to write that piece of fluff :(

By the time the media propoganda is over they probably could of all stayed presenting for less than the cost of the press releases

Posted

How about getting rid of (who if they read this don't take it personally) Liam Dutton, Matt Taylor and John Hammond who for all intents and purposes are as dull as dishwater! (snip)

That mob haven't got a clue, not a bloody clue! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I'm not getting embroiled in this thread but this cannot pass without refutation. Perhaps before launching such ill-informed diatribe against three friends of mine, whose combined and individual expertise I and others greatly value as colleagues, perhaps you might read - for sake of one example - John's biography and then come back here and re-attest that he (or Matt, or Liam) "...haven't got a bloody clue". Do you really think that a 2 minute TV weathercast is a full, academic symposia-style reflection of the (outstanding) professional scientific expertise of someone like John (et al.)?

One additional broader point of clarification: those of you who have actually read the quotes cited in various newsmedia sources on this story today will, I am sure, have already deduced how there is a clear and important distinction to draw between a Met Office internal HR process, versus any undertaken directly by the BBC.

Ian.

Posted

I'm not getting embroiled in this thread but this cannot pass without refutation. Perhaps before launching such ill-informed diatribe against three friends of mine, whose combined and individual expertise I and others greatly value as colleagues, perhaps you might read - for sake of one example - John's biography and then come back here and re-attest that he (or Matt, or Liam) "...haven't got a bloody clue". Do you really think that a 2 minute TV weathercast is a full, academic symposia-style reflection of the (outstanding) professional scientific expertise of someone like John (et al.)?

One additional broader point of clarification: those of you who have actually read the quotes cited in various newsmedia sources on this story today will, I am sure, have already deduced how there is a clear and important distinction to draw between a Met Office internal HR process, versus any undertaken directly by the BBC.

Ian.

I am also not going to get embroiled in this thread but just to say I agree completely with your post. Bit concerned that you are a long term Lewis Hamilton fan though.:)

Posted

Jay Wynne (BBC1, 13.30) has just emphasised that "even by 8am temperatures will still be in single figures across the South"

in a tone suggestive of it being a bad thing : temperatures shown were 8c-9c for tomorrow morning!

Posted

Good Luck to you and all of your colleagues Ian - Internal HR moves are never the easiest thing so I hope it passes as smoothly as possible for you all without undue acrimony

Posted

I really like John Hammond. He's very good. Actually the vast majority of BBC forecasters are all very good, highly trained professionals. Even "Dan The Man" clearly has an incredibly in-depth knowledge of forecasting.

At the end of the day, what this is really about is that some people prefer one forecasters style a little more over another forecasters style. And thats a personal thing, really.

And of course the other issue is the concern that this is actually about the further dumbing down of forecasts. It would be terrible to see BBC forecasts going the same way as Sky weather forecasts.

Posted

To be fair to Harry I think he made those remarks in the heat of the moment. I can't speak for him obviously but I doubt in reality he harbors any particular ill feeling to the forecasters mentioned. It is fair to say however that Rob is extremely well liked by us enthusiasts and in many people's view few if any of the other national forecasters can hold a candle to him. That's why people feel so strongly about this, but it is perhaps wrong to get into the nasty business of "x" or "y" should have gone instead. I think, quite evidently, as Gavin pointed out, it's the end of an era as he is the longest serving forecaster there.

It just amazes me really that after nearly 20 years as a BBC forecaster Rob is being treated like this. Clearly he is still at the top of his game, as is made clear by the fact he remains very popular with viewers who hold him in as high regard now as they did all those years ago. It is for those reasons that contrary to the beliefs of the Met Office, this move does not place him in a role that "best fits [his] individual skills and strengths" as his excellent presenting skills will be wasted in that capacity.

I'll fire off a couple of strongly worded e-mails later to both the BBC and the Met Office. I suspect the most I will get is a generic response back, but it will feel good letting off some steam and vocalising my concerns about this in the proper way.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

OK folks, taking Ian Fergusson's view (from a much better position than we on 'the outside' have) let's try and keep the conversation to the topic title and not a generalised rant over who you don't like in TV weather broadcasts please.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Any chance of NW signing him up in the event of this being true? One man's trash is another man's treasure!

Posted

Any chance of NW signing him up in the event of this being true? One man's trash is another man's treasure!

If Netweather could get him on board somehow it would be a massive coup for this site.

Posted

When I heard this news for a moment I could not believe it. For me Rob is a legend and quite simply this is a disgrace.

Then, when I thought about it I realsed that this is the BBC.....probably the decision of some weather media consultant!

Well how do we protest and how do we get our message heard? Facebook, perhaps (I'm not a member so that it no use to me). Is there a BBC e/mail address or what? These ******s should not really be allowed to get away with it.

MM

Posted
OK folks, taking Ian Fergusson's view (from a much better position than we on 'the outside' have) let's try and keep the conversation to the topic title and not a generalised rant over who you don't like in TV weather broadcasts please.

Yep come on guys lets get back on topic.

Please add in your support for Rob!!

Lets show the BBC what he means to us. :)

And if you haven't joined the facebook group yet here is the link,

http://www.facebook....161476193870140

Posted

Well they can't get rid of Rob o'r laura that's just madness, they are some of the more charismatic yet well informed forecasters there are I'de sooner they got rid of people such as - Nina Ridge, Tory Lacey.

Rob is one of the best, if not the best forecaster out there, he makes waching the weather exciting.

I'll even get out the Welsh here, BBC will listen to that :p if not I'll call them discriminatory :p

Peidiwch da chwi a chael gwared ohono Rob mae e'n un o'r cyflwynwyr gorau sydd gennych ac yn sicr bydd y bbc ar eu colled os yn colli'r cymeriad a'r gallu sydd gan Rob.

Don't get rid of Rob he's one of the best weather forecasters that you have and the BBC would certainly be at a loss if they loose his brilliant charachter and intelect.

Posted

very sad if Rob McElwee is going as he is a great forecaster, really knows his stuff, always seems genuinely interested and makes others interested in the weather. And in winter, he gives the most accurate forecast of any of them, being a real snow fan.

very sad if Rob McElwee is going as he is a great forecaster, really knows his stuff, always seems genuinely interested and makes others interested in the weather. And in winter, he gives the most accurate forecast of any of them, being a real snow fan.

PS I think there's already a Facebook save the forecasters group up and running.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

That’s the most amazing statement I've ever read (well almost), still if you like to have the word temperatures replaced with numbers, and rain described as large swathes of blue, you're onto a winner with Dan, he presents in a weather for idiots style. Personally I can’t stand watching him, even with the sound turned down. Rob on the other hand always sounds as if he knows what he's talking about. What’s her name, Laura Tobin, nice to look at, but talks with a lisp, nothing wrong with that, she can't help it, but I like my weather presented in a clear and concise style.

My thoughts exactly.

Well put there WE.

I need to read the rest of this thread now but that is 3 of the best, surely? They are getting more like ITV or even Channel 5 now, yuk!

No more said.

STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Put it on face book get 250,000 to sign up just like Gamu X factor

you remember her

Serious note he had that twinkle in his eye when he knew something was on the way

Posted

Jay Wynne (BBC1, 13.30) has just emphasised that "even by 8am temperatures will still be in single figures across the South"

in a tone suggestive of it being a bad thing : temperatures shown were 8c-9c for tomorrow morning!

perhaps your perception, not necessarily what he said?

Ian.

thanks Ian for a positive post in what is a rather unkind and ill informed thread at times.

Folks do take note of what Ian has posted, from inside so to speak, and stop making rather unfair comments about some Met O forecasters.

Presentation is a very difficult art, regardless of ones professional abilities, some are better at it than others. But some of it is what we as viewers/listeners WANT to see/hear, so please try and remember that.

Other than Ian none of us have any real idea on what is actually happening and why-just remember that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Rob is a fantastic tv forecaster, one of the few who manage to convey their passion for meteorology (and in particular for snow, as Rob is famed for!). Beasterlies and northerlies just won't be the same without his mischievous smile and sense of humour. I also liked Avery and Shafernacker - the latter was refreshing in his on-screen attitude which seemed a fine antidote to some of the more patronising sounding weather forecasters (not a comment aimed at any in particular, just a general observation).

Ian.

Very true. The style and the undoubted substance and scientific expertise of a forecaster are two very different things. Slagging people off based on forecasts is not perhaps the fairest judgement on them, but still I would like to see Rob stay on the television.

Edited by LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

(Im not sure where the best place for this thread is)

BBC weather presenter Rob McElwee, is to be axed from the BBC.

Please show your support here to save the presenter.

BBC weather wouldn't be the same without Rob's humour, his weather presenting skills - he's one of the best we've got!!

**COME SHOW YOUR SUPPORT FOR ROB!!**

I will email this thread to the BBC with all our comments :)

saverob.jpg

I think I'll print that out and stick it on the back of my car.....ty