Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

*Save Rob McElwee!*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Guys, the facebook group is open.

I set it up, though it is the first group I've ever set up! IF anyone can advise how I can just give everyone full freedom and join and not have to "confirm" each individual person, it'd be handy :D

As for the "leadership" interview bolleaux...it is just that, pure, 100%, utter cowfaeces!!!!

Posted

How long ago was that? Jim gave the local forecast on Radio Northampton just the other morning and he often pops up on Look East.

A long, long time ago Jim was actually a regular national BBC TV forecaster. I suspect thats whats being refered to here.

Posted

Oh gawd! wish it had been Dan Corbett! I feel exhausted after his forecasts because he speaks so fast. As for this "grab an extra duvet from the back of the cupboard" or "I think you better remember to take your brolly" - If it's going to be cold or if it's going to rain, just tell me........ I'LL UNDERSTAND!

My feelings exactly, as TWS pointed out Peter Gibbs is OK, Oh and I like Carol Kirkwood, not because she’s necessarily good at presenting the weather, its other reasons, also her accent is really nice. My wife can't stand Liam Dutton, and what’s the name of the welsh chap who looks like Aled Jones. “Walking in the air,†where did I leave that snowman.

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Very poor decision by the BBC in my opinion and many others. If they go ahead with this, then they will loose one of the most well respected weather presenters. Rob McElwee is not only highly respected from the many weather enthusiasts around the British Isles, he also makes weather forecast interesting and enjoyable for all with his professional and enthusiastic presentations. He is someone who obviously loves his work and also loves our very varied British weather.

Posted

This is a real shame, he has true enthusiasm for the subject he forecasts, i am quite sad now    :cray:

If you ever read this Rob:

WE ALL MISS YOU,

BUT WE'LL  NEVER FORGET YOU !!   :hi:

Posted

How long ago was that? Jim gave the local forecast on Radio Northampton just the other morning and he often pops up on Look East.

A long, long time ago Jim was actually a regular national BBC TV forecaster. I suspect thats whats being refered to here.

No, no, no, no, no....semi-fictitious and nothing more than an attempt at cheap innuendo.

Posted

Not only are they getting rid of three of the best forecasters, they are also getting rid of some of the best presenters the BBC has to offer.

I'm sure we can all name a time when in particular Rob has made a blinder of a forecast from over a week out on something very specific. Some people last year refused to believe one of his heavy snow forecasts from over a week away saying it was 'fluke' and he was being 'vague'. The forecast I remember best was for that of the Polar Low on (i think) 28th January 2004 (it might have been a little later). I remember catching the last 30 secs of his late night forecast exactly 1 week before it hit, when he physically showed what had the potential to be a Polar Low formation just off the coast of Greenland, and said that he thought it would be likely that such a feature would hit the UK the following week - he was absolutely spot on

I often stand up for the BBC against those who feel the license fee isnt fair, but I find it more and more difficult to get defend this viewpoint when they, as probably the premier television weather forecasting group, get rid of their best presenters and more accurate forecasters.

I feel sorry for Tomasz and Phillip too, although with Tomasz it was probably the middle finger bombshell that saw his fate sealed

SK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

My father in law works for the BBC and told me that he once had to hand P45s out to some office staff before going to to find Jim Bacon and give him one.

Doesn't sound a very nice job to me.

:lol: Bit of a double entendre there OON!

Posted

Jim Bacon runs his own weather company now, Weatherquest. He is a fantastic man and a top forecaster.

I certainly agree with Gavin P about the last of the old school being filtered out of the BBC national forecasts, very, very sad and disappointing to see.

I wonder how long it will be before a major weather event hits the country and then the media bemoan the lack of experienced forecasters!

Posted

It's not the BBC "getting rid" of their best presenters; it's the Met Office trying to cut costs in the light of the renegotiated contract (with the BBC's ageist and let's get everything as bland as possible policies in mind - an "are you a good team member?" interview process is bound to get rid of those who have a spark of personality as opposed to those who can't actually do the job properly).

Even though it's the Met Office that is primarily at fault, complaints to the BBC wouldn't hurt (for those who want to complain...). Mind you, bombarding the Met Office wouldn't hurt either.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Perhaps it's says a lot about the BBC that those who are lacking in team leadership skills are made managers, whilst those who performed better in the team leadership role are excluded from being managers and left as presenters.

Bizarre.

Posted

Emphatically not. They're not being made managers (despite the title), they're being made duty forecasters with no management role (management is completely separate) and losing up to a third of their income while less skilled - and in a couple of cases less qualified - people remain in the more prestigious and more lucrative role of presenter. The saving to the Met Office is minimal in the light of the overall bill and wouldn't make much difference whoever they put in the duty forecaster role; it's the fact that they're demoting several of their most highly regarded and best presenters is what's bizarre.

Edited by crepuscular ray

Posted

Rob McElwee to me seems to have become increasingly eccentric over the years. His early forecasts are not like his later ones.

As for Tomasz: No flowers, no tears. The ego has landed. Struck me as a show pony, a chip on his shoulder. Never rated this guy. Enthusiasm does not necessarily equate to quality.

Phil Avery, rarely see him on national telly these days.

Posted

Rob McElwee to me seems to have become increasingly eccentric over the years. His early forecasts are not like his later ones.

Probably, but he's not the most eccentric on there.

Posted

Absolutely ridiculous. Rob is head and shoulders above the other presenters. His enthusiasm and the way he signs off always hinting at what is just outside of the reliable timeframe is really captivating. The 10 o'clk weather presented by Rob is the only forecast i go out of my way to watch. He'll probably end up on Sky news with Francis Wilson...what a team :)

Posted

Absolutely ridiculous. Rob is head and shoulders above the other presenters. His enthusiasm and the way he signs off always hinting at what is just outside of the reliable timeframe is really captivating. The 10 o'clk weather presented by Rob is the only forecast i go out of my way to watch. He'll probably end up on Sky news with Francis Wilson...what a team :)

Agree with you about Rob, even though he is "more eccentric" to quote Mr Data (personally I don't have a problem with that).

However, Francis and most of the Sky team got made redundant a couple of months ago. They now have only Isobel Lang (ex BBC) and one other.

Posted

Agree with you about Rob, even though he is "more eccentric" to quote Mr Data (personally I don't have a problem with that).

However, Francis and most of the Sky team got made redundant a couple of months ago. They now have only Isobel Lang (ex BBC) and one other.

Compared to Joe laminate floori Rob looks positively tame :D.... although i prefer to think of him as more charasmatic than eccentric but horses for courses i suppose.

Didn't realise about the Sky news team, i'm more of a cold weather fan so my interest only really peps up around about this time of year.

Posted

The fact is Rob is the last of the true greats. The era of Bill Giles, Michael Fish etc... Is about to end.

Remember a forecast he did back in December where he ended saying "And for a proper winter, I think you'll agree, this one isn't too bad?" with that witty little glint in his eye. The end of an era. :(

My sentiments exactly. They can't get rid of him he's the only one that ramps up the snow!. Oh well. I recorded a good deal of the snow forecasts and news specials from last winter so he's bound to be in there to watch and enjoy again.

Didn't they already trial a different style of forecast??

That video was great. :D

It is a great shame about this as all three are highly respected and knowledgable meteorologists. Personally I haven't watched the BBC national forecasts since they changed to those awful, awful graphics in 2005, because it was clear then where the future for television weather forecasts on the BBC was headed IMO. I am not sure how it will save the BBC money if the men in question are moved into backroom "management roles" though? But then what do I know!

When you look back at archive weather forecasts, it is so sad to see the sorry state of affairs today: http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/weather/bbc.html

I think the new graphics are far better than the old ones, and give far more information. Couple with the intensive use of Synoptic charts on Country file and on regional forecasts, these forecasts are excellent.

Disappointed though if Rob goes.

However, as time goes on BBC's national forecasts seem to continue inching in the direction of those of ITV

I Cannot agree with this. for the reasons above, and for reasons I have often mentioned, in frequent threads about this.

Posted

Three of them to go? Thats sad news, i liked Tomasz Schafernaker and Philip Avery. I was never a big fan of Rob McElwee, he just presents the weather in a boring way.. and really you either love him or hate him. He has the sort of voice that puts you to sleep! I'm glad Daniel Corbett isn't going, hes one of my favourite.

And thats your weather for now.... squeek squeek!

Posted

But if she said it would be dry and sunny, I'd take a brolly...