Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Did We Really Go To The Moon?

Posted

I love the images Pete.

I am a keen amateur astronomer and help my local Astro Soc run public events. Frequently I find myself up in front of 20-30 members of the Public, going on about Lunar craters, mountains and rilles. I often get someone asking if the Moon landings were faked. My usual initial response (one has to be polite when in front of the Public) is to ask the likelyhood of the secret of it being faked being kept - with thousands of people needed to get Apollo astronauts on the Moon. That usually causes a laugh in the room, as people try to imagine hundreds of Americans keeping such a secret.

Below is an interesting link to the NASA website - the recently lauched LRO now has the resolution to show up the Landers - resolution will improve in the future, so the misguided people who don't believe that Humans landed on the Moon will have more and more to juggle with, in their attempt to keep their conspiracy theory going. I don't blame them, they are ill-informed and misguided. The people I want to punch are those who make money out of this type of lie-peddling. I do remember seeing a guy being decked by an Apollo Astornaut (it might have been Buzz Aldrin) when he asked why the Astronaut had been part of a cover up for so long. It was a good right hook too : )

I guess the above is a long winded way of saying "YES - 24 people landed on the Moon between 1969 and 1972 - one of the crowning achievements of the 20th Century".

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/mult...pollosites.html

Bet the sceptics say the images on the link are faked - there is nothing like compromising your intelligence in the pursuit of a good conspiracy theory. : )

Bet this post riles (or should that be rilles) a few folk : )

Cheers

Tom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

definitely a conspiracy......Anyone with a half decent pair of eyes can see that these are not pictures of the moons surface and astronaut footprints etc.....rather, a series of extreme close ups of a 17 year old teenager's face recovering from a baaaad case of acne...

Its that time of year again, time for the yearly resurrection of the fake moon landings thread..... :doh:

Posted

Enough to make you post!

Can I point out, purely for the avoidance of doubt, and just in case anyone hasn't yet picked up on this that I hate Moon conspiracists and was really just wanting to highlight some pretty smart photos?

Posted
Who cares, does it really matter.

Yes - the pursute of knowledge is what raises us above the rest of the Animal Kingdom. When we stop being curious about the Universe and stop spending resources on Science, we are a finished species. Once we have used up all this Planet's resources, then we need to be able to go elsewhere. The step to the Moon is a small one, but it is a start. Those that say we didn't go there are causing political difficulty for those that wish to spend resources on Science - they are therefore doing Humanity a dis-service. The could have put the money used to bail the banks out to good use - Space research/physics is only one thing that money could have bought. There is no such thing as "useless knowledge", just knowledge that we don't have an immediate use for - but one day we will.

Okay - strong views, but something I feel strongly about.

Rant over : )

Tom

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

The NASA images don't show anything do they though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes.

Posted
Yes.

They could have put the arrows anywhere.

Anyway here's the moon landings debunked http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicapollo.html :)

The radiation belts http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astr...rs/970228a.html

Edited by The PIT

Posted

I just think it's sad that people pick conspiracies in every single event that happens. Don't they have anything better to do with their lives?

Posted
Apart from the fact that they landed on the moon...

Ah but did they??

Posted
Ah but did they??

Well I haven't seen any proof other than petty nitpicking to convince me otherwise.

Edit: See, even PP agrees :):)

Edited by nick2702

They could have put the arrows anywhere.

Anyway here's the moon landings debunked http://www.ufos-aliens.co.uk/cosmicapollo.html :)

The radiation belts http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astr...rs/970228a.html

Ah yes, that old load of rubbish, good to see it wheeled out in desperation again.

IF Nasa didn't go to the moon, and bearing in mind the Apollo craft were independently tracked by other countries including their then arch enemy the USSR do you not think those countries would have provided solid proof that it was a hoax? And looking at it from Nasa's point of view, which of the following do you think would be easier?

Spend $25 billion, employ 100's of thousands of people, create new technology, the most complicated machine ever created, and then create an elaborate hoax and keep lying about it for 40 years?

Or

Build a space craft and go to the moon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

of course we landed on the moon....where do you think our cheese comes from?....we all know what the moon's made out of!

Posted

So if we did go how come we've never been back since and only now taking surveys about the effects of radiation???

So if we did go how come we've never been back since and only now taking surveys about the effects of radiation???

Well the extreme cost involved, the voting publics desire to see taxes spent on more worthwhile eartly problems , not to mention that only 1 country in the world had the rescources and techical capability to do it might have something to do with it.

Oh, and we are going back.

Posted
Well the extreme cost involved, the voting publics desire to see taxes spent on more worthwhile eartly problems , not to mention that only 1 country in the world had the rescources and techical capability to do it might have something to do with it.

So why survey for dangerous radiation first of all ??? You already know there isn't anyway as you've already been there.

Posted

Lack of money,It's more important now to study what space travel can offer than just landing on the moon.

Posted

Precisely. China and India have announced space programmes as well, including moon missions.

When we finally get to Mars this will again happen, people trying to find the non-existent evidence to prove we didn't actually go there.

Either way, one day humanity will have to leave Earth in order to survive...but that is some way off yet :)

Posted

We should fly pedophiles and bankers to the moon, and leave them there.

:)