Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

My Treat - Weather Station

Posted

Others have probably asked this question a lot so I'm sorry.

I'm 18 soon and I'm going to treat myself to a weather station. My budget is only £130 so any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Regards, Shaun.

Posted

hello Shaun

Welcome to Net Wx, not an unusual question at all, make sure you go to a reliable firm, there are several about. Try this link on Net Wx to read up on other people and their discussions and I'm sure there are links to reliable sites in the link below

http://forum.netweat...-and-equipment/

I know this shop has a good reputation

http://www.weathershop.co.uk/

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Others have probably asked this question a lot so I'm sorry.

I'm 18 soon and I'm going to treat myself to a weather station. My budget is only £130 so any suggestions would be much appreciated?

Regards, Shaun.

I've got myself a WMR80 from Oregon Scientific; works a treat. Only £100!

Posted

Hello, thanks for the replies.

I was looking here (http://www.weathershop.co.uk/shop/collections/best-sellers/oregon-scientific-wmr100n-weather-station.html)at the WMR100N.

It's £130 so just in my budget! Is this worth it for the price or could I pick up something else with just as much or more features similarly priced?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I was looking here (http://www.weathersh...er-station.html)at the WMR100N.

It's £130 so just in my budget! Is this worth it for the price or could I pick up something else with just as much or more features similarly priced?

Hello mate Ive just bought the same weather station but it hasnt been set up yet but its feautures etc are decent for the price and I dont think for your budget there is any better ones out there

Posted

Hello mate Ive just bought the same weather station but it hasnt been set up yet but its feautures etc are decent for the price and I dont think for your budget there is any better ones out there

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks.

I'll probably buy it after getting back from Portugal :)

Posted

That's what I wanted to hear, thanks.

I'll probably buy it after getting back from Portugal :)

Okay mate if you need help any time just ask and ill try my best and help you pal :)

Posted

I was looking here (http://www.weathersh...er-station.html)at the WMR100N.

I've just brought this weather station to replace my faulty TFA station, It's a brilliant little weather station reliable and accurate !! Can't go wrong with Oregon Scientific.

Before you buy a weather station though it's worth having a little think about were your going to placing your sensors , it's quite important and can be over looked* :)

Posted

I've just brought this weather station to replace my faulty TFA station, It's a brilliant little weather station reliable and accurate !! Can't go wrong with Oregon Scientific.

Before you buy a weather station though it's worth having a little think about were your going to placing your sensors , it's quite important and can be over looked* :)

Iv got the WMR100N it looks very good but i havnt used it yet because im still looking into where to have it :)

Posted

My weather station is up and working greatly but you need microsoft excel on your computer to download the information which sadly I dont have so Im going to have to buy it and its quite expensive £90

Posted

It's up and running here with me and so far so good but I was wondering where the most 'ideal' location for the temperature sensor should be and what height from the ground?

Thanks

Posted

My weather station is up and working greatly but you need microsoft excel on your computer to download the information which sadly I dont have so Im going to have to buy it and its quite expensive £90

You could download openoffice from www.openoffice.org

Their spreadsheets are practically the same and it's free.

Do you have MS Works already?

That should do it also.

Posted

You could download openoffice from www.openoffice.org

Their spreadsheets are practically the same and it's free.

Do you have MS Works already?

That should do it also.

nope i dont have ms works i only have proccessor beside I want it all done correctly so this way will be best in the long run.

Posted

It's up and running here with me and so far so good but I was wondering where the most 'ideal' location for the temperature sensor should be and what height from the ground?

Thanks

It's supposed to be around 4 feet above the ground, in the shade as far as possible.

Ideally it would be in something resembling a small Stevenson screen.

People have made them quite cheaply for example using four white plastic grills which are sold for wall vents.

I wouldn't get too hung up on it, almost every situation something will be difficult or impossible to get quite as it should be.

Over time you compare with your own figures as much as anything.

There's so much difference between individual locations caused by other factors such as shelter from trees or other buildings.

Comparing with other stations is interesting but doesn't mean either of them are 'wrong' or badly sited.

Posted

Okay so my station has been set up for a little while now but I need some advice....

Everything seems to working well except the WIND DIRECTION. I can feel a WESTERLY wind blowing on me but when I look at the Wind Vane direction thingy it's EASTERLY. It's frustrating because my wind direction is actual opposite to what it actually is and yes I have set the device correctly but that's irrelevant because it's the physical direction thing on the wind vane that appears to be giving inaccurate directions. I've also detached the device and moved it around but it's still messed up.

I hope you understand what I mean, everything is set up perfectly but the directional device (the thing that spins with an arrow) is pointing towards the wind (instead of the tail facing it).

Do you think it's a manufactured problem with the arrow thing? It's narrow and straight, unbent and looks in good shape. I'm baffled?

Any help much appreciated - sorry for the long explanation trying to make it clear.

Posted

Okay so my station has been set up for a little while now but I need some advice....

Everything seems to working well except the WIND DIRECTION. I can feel a WESTERLY wind blowing on me but when I look at the Wind Vane direction thingy it's EASTERLY. It's frustrating because my wind direction is actual opposite to what it actually is and yes I have set the device correctly but that's irrelevant because it's the physical direction thing on the wind vane that appears to be giving inaccurate directions. I've also detached the device and moved it around but it's still messed up.

I hope you understand what I mean, everything is set up perfectly but the directional device (the thing that spins with an arrow) is pointing towards the wind (instead of the tail facing it).

Do you think it's a manufactured problem with the arrow thing? It's narrow and straight, unbent and looks in good shape. I'm baffled?

Any help much appreciated - sorry for the long explanation trying to make it clear.

orite mate how did you sort the problem with the sunlight directly hitting the sensor and giving incorrect high temp readings also how did you get the rain thingy to work ? :) on mine im having these problems. With the wind it will be hard to get correct readings with but im unsure how to help here.

Posted

Hi Snowstorm the rain gauge worked when I tested it with a little clean water but I have only put it out today so we'll see when the rain comes.

The wind vane and temp sensor has been since day 1 and seem okay except the direction thing with the wind. I found a spot in the garden near my shed where there is no sunlight at all through the day so that's fine for now.

Posted

Hmm... this happened with my Vantage Vue initially because you have to assemble the vane onto it's spindle and I put it on 180 degrees out ?!

Is it possible to simply turn your unit on the mounting?

I'd be amazed if it's a fault with the station.

Posted

Hi Snowstorm the rain gauge worked when I tested it with a little clean water but I have only put it out today so we'll see when the rain comes.

The wind vane and temp sensor has been since day 1 and seem okay except the direction thing with the wind. I found a spot in the garden near my shed where there is no sunlight at all through the day so that's fine for now.

Im going to have a look at it in the next few days the rain thing. :) And any ideas to help with the sunlight issue? someone suggessted a butter tub idea, me personally had an idea of putting cardboard with holes in to minimise the effects but someone said it wouldnt work lol :p

Posted

Hey Snowstorm, not sure on the sunlight issue as I'm an amateur and not very creative :p

And guess what, I've just been testing my rain gauge again and it appears it's not syncing with the base station... I even changed the batteries in the dark just now and I took the base station to it to get better signal and no luck... :o

So there we have it -

The wind vane spindle thing is giving opposite directions;

Rain gauge isn't giving the base station results.

What next... 2 down just the temp sensor and wind speed to go now :L

Oh dear.

Posted

Hey Snowstorm, not sure on the sunlight issue as I'm an amateur and not very creative :p

And guess what, I've just been testing my rain gauge again and it appears it's not syncing with the base station... I even changed the batteries in the dark just now and I took the base station to it to get better signal and no luck... :o

So there we have it -

The wind vane spindle thing is giving opposite directions;

Rain gauge isn't giving the base station results.

What next... 2 down just the temp sensor and wind speed to go now :L

Oh dear.

Ive got only one more to go the wind speed lmao as said my temp readings are wrong lol :')

Posted

Okay I'm officially an idiot... Rain gauge now synced as I wasn't using the 'search' button properly.

Ive tried pressing the search button but doesnt work still :(

Posted

Ive tried pressing the search button but doesnt work still :(

Maybe you were doing it wrong -

Press search once > when you hear the beep press it again but HOLD it in and soon you will hear another beep. It will start searching then.

Posted

make sure you have the wind sensor pointing north.there should be marks on the main housing.

loads of help on here Shaun http://sandaysoft.com/forum/