Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy Bown

The Ryder Cup

I'm not a big golf fan but will watch it to see who's winning and enjoy seeing the players tested by the weather.

On that note, why are people posting in other threads (especially the model discussion)that the upcoming tournament will

be badly affected quality wise by the wind/rain?

In my opinion this will make the golf much more interesting and will test the players abilities to a much greater extent

than 4 days of calm, sunny weather!

Come on Europe!

Hi Andy,

Was going to post in the other thread but glad you've opened this one!

Quite comforting to see that Monty is putting 3 Irish boys out early in the Fourballs tomorrow, in what looks like being quite a wild and wet morning. Should imagine that McIlroy and McDowell will feel quite at home in the elements and will probably get the barbecue out after the front 9! :good:

I think it could well be a delayed start or at least a suspension of play tomorrow morning. Not too sure how the weather situation we are facing tomorrow morning, typically plays out in S.E.Wales. Would like to hear any locals in S.E.Wales views on that.

Sunday could be a problem too with some rain likely in the afternoon but wind doesnt look too strong at the moment.

Couple of Bookmakers were offering 4/1 about a Monday finish but think they should finish the event on Sunday.

Anyway, come on Europe!

Regards,

Tom.

I got a day off tomz as all schools in Cardiff and Newport are closed. Security is red hot and the FBI are around apariently. Some are saying the President is expected to land in Cardiff tomz with Airforce one. Clinton and Bush are expected here too. The President of Europe arrived today.

Hi W123098,

Obviously, you're not too far from Newport. How bad are you expecting the weather to be tomorrow morning?

Peak of wind and rain look to be around 9 o'clock.

Regards,

Tom.

Looking quite wild tomorrow morning, previous tournaments have has one or two problems but not so much at the 2010 Course where the Ryder Cup is bring played. At additional issue is that is can get foggy along the Usk Valley (possible Saturday and Sunday, although he wind may help reduce this risk). If it does get foggy though, this really has the potential to stop play for a while especially in the mornings.

As for wind, Newport is much more sheltered than Western coastal parts of Wales, and while gusty for golf, rainfall amounts and fog are generally bigger concerns.

Thanks Jackone, for the local take on possible weather problems at the Ryder Cup in the next 3 days.

A colleague of mine mentioned today that he'd read an article stating that fog can be a problem in the Newport area and that it could cause problems at the Celtic Manor course.

Regards,

Tom.

Thanks Jackone, for the local take on possible weather problems at the Ryder Cup in the next 3 days.

A colleague of mine mentioned today that he'd read an article stating that fog can be a problem in the Newport area and that it could cause problems at the Celtic Manor course.

Regards,

Tom.

I was listening on the Radio before and up to the opening shots

What a lot noise and a singing crowd.:blush:

I am not really into golf but will probably watch the final stages if its close

I think it is largely to windy for fog , and strong gusts could def be a problem on Sunday

I was listening on the Radio before and up to the opening shots

What a lot noise and a singing crowd.:blush:

I am not really into golf but will probably watch the final stages if its close

I think it is largely to windy for fog , and strong gusts could def be a problem on Sunday

Play has been suspended, Reason is that it is not possible to take a drop which is not in casual water

Hi W123098,

Obviously, you're not too far from Newport. How bad are you expecting the weather to be tomorrow morning?

Peak of wind and rain look to be around 9 o'clock.

Regards,

Tom.

I dont know when the rain is going to stop but it's still tipping it down.Im hopeing play will be expanded onto Monday that way I get another day off sixth form :blush:

Hi Barry,

Yes, very frustrating at the moment, years of planning to get this course in a position to host a Ryder Cup, its a great shame.

Forecasts not expecting rain to clear until around 2 p.m. Although the course evidently drains very well, the fairways will need a little while to be playable again. Would be very surprised if the morning Fourballs are totally completed and the afternoon Foursomes begin.

Regards,

Tom.

Over an inch of rain fell over much of South Wales in the past 24 hours, while certainly not rare, is something that only happens a few times at most in October. So bad timing to say the least.

I really wonder why they hold the cup so late and in a wet part of the world. On top of that October is the wettest month on average so all in all it is not surprising that things are in the current parlous state, I feel that the arrangement to end the cup at 6-40 or 7-40 on Monday and to call all the matches still out on the course halves no matter what the score is at that stage to be highly unsatisfactory.