Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CatchMyDrift

Ira Or Other Irish Republican Groups Bomb Threat To The Uk

At a guess its more likely than an attack by islamist militants.

I wonder if the two groups will try and work together. Anyway great having two groups of cranks wanting to blow us up anybody else want to join in???

I wonder if the two groups will try and work together. Anyway great having two groups of cranks wanting to blow us up anybody else want to join in???

They only want to assasinate yer bankers this time. Maybe they will join forces with the CNLA!?

The Scots are always up for having a pop at the English. Doubt they're really up to it though!

That's an odd thing to say - I can assure you that even as a strong nationalist (but in saying that, not really an SNP supporter) I abhor militant groups such as the IRA and the SLA. I can sympathise with what their saying, but their actions are the worst of the worst. Indeed, in Scotland it's actually the unionists that tend to be a bit more on the lunatic fringe.

That's an odd thing to say - I can assure you that even as a strong nationalist (but in saying that, not really an SNP supporter) I abhor militant groups such as the IRA and the SLA. I can sympathise with what their saying, but their actions are the worst of the worst. Indeed, in Scotland it's actually the unionists that tend to be a bit more on the lunatic fringe.

So true, the only real problem in Scotland with militancy has been the sectarian protestant/catholic rangers/celtic tribalism, though this is much less of a problem than in Ireland and than it used to be.

What does everyone think of the threat from Irish dissidents?

http://www.google.co...UT8QZwD9IEG0780

They say it is a threat to the UK but in reality it is an English problem...

That's largely true, though there sectarianism in Scotland is obviously linked to the troubles in Ireland, although not to dissident republicans.

The increase in violence in NI in the last year has been pretty worrying, not least the horrendous racist attacks which have made Belfast the racist capital of Europe. It's still a deeply divided place, in spite of Stormont. It's somewhat disappointing after what seemed a major political breakthrough in the general election when Naomi Long of Alliance took Peter Robinson's seat, not in that he lost his seat (that was a possibility given the moral outrage about the affair involving his wife) but that it went to Long instead of the TUV.

The real question is why are we moving back to the old days. Surely the people of Ireland see things are better now than they were before. So why shelter these terrorists???

The real question is why are we moving back to the old days. Surely the people of Ireland see things are better now than they were before. So why shelter these terrorists???

the fear is still alive and well, so they'd not dare say a word, it's the age old thing isn't it?

the fear is still alive and well, so they'd not dare say a word, it's the age old thing isn't it?

Sort of thing the old IRA members should be able to sort out eh but no doubt lost the old contacts.

How do these people think they will acheive anything.

It has to be said anybody involved in republican activity probaly has serious mental health issues! I presume there is only a handful of them left. Unfortunately this means only the luniast of them all are left(i.e the most dangerous)

I feel EXTREMELY ashamed that our country is put up there with the likes of liberia! I tought we were past this

Nobody in Ireland shelters terrorists! Al these terrorist live in council estates and claim social welfare, there is probaly very few of them. They have 0% public support

It is also important to remember that ''the old ira'' usually refers to the ira of the 1910's and 1920's which had 100% of the public on their side. And they were far from terrorists.

As someone who lives in the troubled Island It really annoys me to live in a place where I don't feel safe going to certain places that I'd like to. I have no religious beliefs whatsoever and yet I feel like I'm targeted just because most of my family are protestant. I care not of the past, I have friends of many religions and we get along fine. The people that are terrorists no longer do it for any cause, they seem to do it for fun.

Like someone said, these groups used to be actual citizen armys, the old UVF, IRA, etc, who actually had no clause with the general public, but now it doesn't seem to matter who the target or what it is, so long as it spits in the face of the opposition.

Are you being serious? Most that are involved in those kinda terrorist activities don't broadcast it. And for the few that know of IRA members or their activities and don't say anything, it's generally because they fear for their lives. Things being better now than before isn't going to change any of that.

It's like me saying England harbours Islamic extremists!

Ah the old "one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" bit.

I guess the next stage is some cranky loyalists start up (Probably already have). I buy the fear thing but I don't buy the zero % support as there clearly is some.

Terror atacks are just like the weather, they come and go every so many years. Its part of being British sadly.

Any how, I think its an inside job to control the state when times are hard and loosing faith... 911 ring any bells?

But as usual we just sit back and let it happen.