Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Build Up To Winter? Do You Guys Also Do This?

Cymro

Posted

Every year around september I get some kind of snow fatigue and search endless videos of heavy snow on Youtube etc and follow forecasts in countries such as Canada and Norway just to see how close winter is, whether it's knocking the door or not. The abscence of snow for the time being is fine however we're only just in autumn but I still ove looking at the videos on Youtube. There's something magical about snow it brings out a community spirit not known often in this country any more. Anyone else do this?

Why not post some of your favourite Youtube snow vids here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Haha very true Adam, I have been doing the exact same thing! I've just been searching for "Swansea Snow" nothing much comes up but there is a few videos from last year. Some of the videos i will give you a link to now. I'm hoping to get a HD camcorder soon, so i will hopefully be taking some footage of the snow this winter (hope we get lots again) :cold:

Above is a very funny vid back from 2007 i think (maybe hes on Netweather!) (Strong Language)

Above is snow footage in Swansea from last year

Above is footage of the very heavy snow Feb 2009 in Swansea

Above is heavy blowing snow on the Mumbles front right on the Sea (2009 also)

Posted

i flick through the archives and media of past winters for the build up. love that feeling lol.

slightly off topic, but i love it when songs are released this time of year and you relate them to the christmases coming up.

it is also this time of year i think of xmas and think it is close. just 12 weeks to go guys haha. and only 9 weeks to go until we get some idea of the upcoming winter if not a little sooner.

Posted

Hi ,

Oh hell yes.

The company i work for always order grit for gritting the site about now and that turned up today :D

i follow this link to , please copy ot to your favourites and give at a couple of weeks and it will turn white by about December the river is frozen :cold:

linky clicky thing

I cant wait for winter , we are all big kids really lol

Edited by keviwal

Posted

No because I hate winter, snow, cold, frost and the general discomfort and pain of cold, inconvenience of snow and ice, so I dread the six months of winter October - March and long for the return of spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No because I hate winter, snow, cold, frost and the general discomfort and pain of cold, inconvenience of snow and ice, so I dread the six months of winter October - March and long for the return of spring.

wanna swap locations then? my area sucks for snow, your area very snowy

Posted

Thoughts of the upcoming winter really begin to enter my mind in earnest during the last week in October. I find that particular week of the year physcologically the most active in terms of a real shift in general feeling and mood. For this reason I relish that particular period especially the first day after the clocks go back when we are plunged into darkness around 5pm it is a real shock to the system.

At this time of year, I often think about winter but don't have any wintry feeling, weather conditions are often so benign. The current period of the year is a taxing period for me in terms of the weather. I often take a holiday during mid October to break up the long period from late summer into early winter. I find by late October I am in a very different state of mind.. a much better state of mind in an odd way, the reverse to many people who really don't like the return of dark nights and prospects of cold weather.

Posted

Thoughts of the upcoming winter really begin to enter my mind in earnest during the last week in October. I find that particular week of the year physcologically the most active in terms of a real shift in general feeling and mood. For this reason I relish that particular period especially the first day after the clocks go back when we are plunged into darkness around 5pm it is a real shock to the system.

At this time of year, I often think about winter but don't have any wintry feeling, weather conditions are often so benign. The current period of the year is a taxing period for me in terms of the weather. I often take a holiday during mid October to break up the long period from late summer into early winter. I find by late October I am in a very different state of mind.. a much better state of mind in an odd way, the reverse to many people who really don't like the return of dark nights and prospects of cold weather.

i agree, there seems to be a big shift of peoples mood and the atmosphere like when it gets dark very early. it is a big shock and it feels weird, e.g. the mood seems pretty depressing, but i love the feeling in a weird way. very different to the longest day of the year, when you are sat in the house or outside in the heat or muggy air, with it still being light at 10.

Posted

Yes I do sometimes Google images of snow in Leeds, hopefully another Feb 09 style event.

Not all that often you see this much lying snow on the roads in the afternoon. For a main, busy road this is pretty expectational. 15-25cm of snow is not to be sniffed at either. 

3250530578_9fa1d77c9e.jpg?v=0

3250530592_526fa502ac.jpg?v=0

Posted

Yes I do sometimes Google images of snow in Leeds, hopefully another Feb 09 style event.

Not all that often you see this much lying snow on the roads in the afternoon. For a main, busy road this is pretty expectational. 15-25cm of snow is not to be sniffed at either.

3250530578_9fa1d77c9e.jpg?v=0

3250530592_526fa502ac.jpg?v=0

yahoo.gif yes the snow stayed for 2 weeks. there were several similar falls or better falls of snow in the winter just gone, which i wouldnt have expected at all after feb 09 event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

And you live in one of the coldest and snowiest areas of England. :cold:

Posted

Every year around september I get some kind of snow fatigue and search endless videos of heavy snow on Youtube etc and follow forecasts in countries such as Canada and Norway just to see how close winter is, whether it's knocking the door or not. The abscence of snow for the time being is fine however we're only just in autumn but I still ove looking at the videos on Youtube. There's something magical about snow it brings out a community spirit not known often in this country any more. Anyone else do this?

Why not post some of your favourite Youtube snow vids here?

Try this Adam, go to Lapland on the map on the left and just click on a camera

http://alk.tiehallinto.fi/alk/english/frames/kelikamerat-frame.html

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, very cold (inc. anticyclonic) weather

Every year without fail I watch this:

Posted

Haha this is great I'm not the only loopy loon who finds any excuse for some winter build up. Another thing I do is prepare the garden for winter, kind of sad like have a spade ready by the nearest shed. Have my thermometer all cleaned up and so forth. Those videos and links are great guys, I'm gonna spend the next half hours goig through them :doh:.

Posted

This is one of my facourites of where I live, you see the brecon beacons behind that's where I live and bare in mind the heather and bracken on there is waste hight so for that mountain to turn proper white you need alot of snow

and this is when the snow had just got underway then we had a month of it

Posted

Every year without fail we never get this! This is the beast from the east we never get anymore.

The lack of being able to tap into that really cold continental air has been a right pain, we nearly got there in january for it only to be pushed away from the north, we still stayed cold however not as cold as we should and could have been.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

The lack of being able to tap into that really cold continental air has been a right pain, we nearly got there in january for it only to be pushed away from the north, we still stayed cold however not as cold as we should and could have been.

Yeah, a decent, entrenched cold pool is needed over to the east of the UK with -25/-30 uppers so when the correct synoptics fall into place, bingo, there is some deep cold to tap into

Posted

Mmmmmm, Winter.....

My thoughts turn to winter as soon as I see little green berries on our hawthorn, blackberry, apple, pear, plum trees etc etc. Usually about June !!! Holly berries just changing this week :drinks: :drinks:

July is a month of chopping and sawing wood. August sees me furtively checking nightime temps for that exciting "single figure" and the great BBC weather phrase - "There's a good chance of a frost in the isolated Glens !!"

September has me in a frenzy as soon as the NW forum thread changes to Autumn. More chopping firewood/kindling ( 6 fireplaces !!), order another 2000lts of oil, fire up the AGA, 100kg of coal delivered. Excitement at the Vernal Equinox and the drawing in of the evenings. Rapid increase in thread count on NW !! I can't believe how much I'm annoyed by warm days in September :nonono:

October sees the first frosts - I really look forward to that. The TONA chutney, jam and sloe gin production line in full swing - shame to waste nature's bounty (awesome apple crop this year BTW). Order 100+ bales of hay for the mules. No more salad and white wine, it's brown food and shiraz all the way now :drinks: Stews, casseroles, shepherds' pies etc etc

November sees Bonfire night, which I seem to enjoy as much as the children. I now find my thoughts turning from frosts to snow flurries and distant "Beasts" in deep FI. Bring it on............

Posted

Mmmmmm, Winter.....

My thoughts turn to winter as soon as I see little green berries on our hawthorn, blackberry, apple, pear, plum trees etc etc. Usually about June !!! Holly berries just changing this week :drinks: :drinks:

July is a month of chopping and sawing wood. August sees me furtively checking nightime temps for that exciting "single figure" and the great BBC weather phrase - "There's a good chance of a frost in the isolated Glens !!"

September has me in a frenzy as soon as the NW forum thread changes to Autumn. More chopping firewood/kindling ( 6 fireplaces !!), order another 2000lts of oil, fire up the AGA, 100kg of coal delivered. Excitement at the Vernal Equinox and the drawing in of the evenings. Rapid increase in thread count on NW !! I can't believe how much I'm annoyed by warm days in September :nonono:

October sees the first frosts - I really look forward to that. The TONA chutney, jam and sloe gin production line in full swing - shame to waste nature's bounty (awesome apple crop this year BTW). Order 100+ bales of hay for the mules. No more salad and white wine, it's brown food and shiraz all the way now :drinks: Stews, casseroles, shepherds' pies etc etc

November sees Bonfire night, which I seem to enjoy as much as the children. I now find my thoughts turning from frosts to snow flurries and distant "Beasts" in deep FI. Bring it on............

Haha what a romantic way of putting it if that's the word :/ you've got me excited by just reading your post, seems you live for the Winter :D Likewise haha. You really should get into writing stories or something :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Every year without fail I watch this:

Don't know about anyone else, but I laughed so much at that forecast; it was almost unreal - a snow lovers dream come true. I could just picture snow lovers everywhere watching, mouths open, drooling at the prospect, not quite believing what they are seeing...

"Snow, followed by more snow, with snow spreading in behind the snow before it turns colder with snow arriving, spreading to most parts by...."

Brilliant. I'd be like a 5 year old kid if I saw a forecast like that today.

As to the topic - started watching early this year after last year's bonanza. Been following the 'snow in the northern hemisphere' thread with interest and watching for the first frost (tonight possibly). Garden certainly on the way out - think I can leave the lawn without a further cut. Need to fill the woodshed; starting to light the fire every night now as you can feel the chill in the air.

Love the build up to winter as much as I love spring.

Posted

Don't know about anyone else, but I laughed so much at that forecast; it was almost unreal - a snow lovers dream come true. I could just picture snow lovers everywhere watching, mouths open, drooling at the prospect, not quite believing what they are seeing...

"Snow, followed by more snow, with snow spreading in behind the snow before it turns colder with snow arriving, spreading to most parts by...."

Brilliant. I'd be like a 5 year old kid if I saw a forecast like that today.

As to the topic - started watching early this year after last year's bonanza. Been following the 'snow in the northern hemisphere' thread with interest and watching for the first frost (tonight possibly). Garden certainly on the way out - think I can leave the lawn without a further cut. Need to fill the woodshed; starting to light the fire every night now as you can feel the chill in the air.

Love the build up to winter as much as I love spring.

Quite agree there something special abous priong aswel knowing the trees will be budding and the birds singing jsut the same after a s ummer the fought of cold bear winter can make someone feel nice and cosy and fatigued in some way :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Yes its a great feeling this build up to the winter, the snow season, everyone wants to be indoors, people gathering together in warm cosy homes, pubs n clubs, the street becomes energetic with everyone rushing in and out the shops, in fact its a time when more people go into shops to get out the weather,and end up buying something they would'nt otherwise. When snow is deep (an event) we talk to people we dont otherwise, it brings people together, and making snowpeople (thats becoz they can be male or female) and that makes a cold day warm!

Edited by nimbilus