Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Turnedoutniceagain

Equinox

Is it today or Thursday ??

My diary says today, my calendar says Thursday and TONA is all confused !!! ;):cray::cc_confused:

Who cares,today is close enough and it sounds right. Time for me to come out of hibernation - happy autumn everyone. Today's a bit disappointing tho'....

can someone explain what equinox is

When it officially becomes autumn or spring etc. It is usually worked out by the numbers of sunlight hours or the sun angle like on this one everywhere in the world on that day will have 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of night.

I think it is the point in time at which the Sun's 'overheadness' crosses from the Northern to the Southern hemisphere, and vice verca?

yeah its when the sun crosses the equator and heads south for the winter or heads north for the spring

To make it a bit easier to understand.

23 Sep 2010

(Sunrise) 06:56

(Sunset)19:06

(Length of day)12h 09m 26s

(Time of daylight losing until Dec 21st) − 4m 12s

Or to put it into context, break the Calendar down into half first. You have Midwinter where daylight is at its shortest and night is at its longest. Then you have Midsummer 6 months later, as theres 12 months in a year) where daylight is at its longest and night is at its shortest.

Between these 2 Mid-Sols there are Equinoxes, where the transition from the short and long daylight have to counterbalance each other out. This is when Day and Night become equal in the 1/4 Calendar or Equinoxes. This happens in March (20th/21st) and September (22nd/23rd) of every year also.

cheers guys have a great understanding now ...lets get this last warmth out the way and then by friday i can watch the forecasts with interest

yep, equi = equal and nox = night.

So equal night.

Other than that, the explanation of its other terms has been answered above.

...lets get this last warmth out the way and then by friday i can watch the forecasts with interest

why what is happening on friday?

It seems a little late this year. How often does the Equinox drift out to the 23ed. If you wre at the north pole the sun would just be setting, not to reappear untill the Spring Eqiniox

Should be some good tidal bores manifesting themselves...

Are those like Climate Change bores? Must be a thread I've missed over in 'Climate And Environment'..... :winky:

It's officially autumn, 04:09 BST this morning!

Great news. I shall now go out and play conkers, kick leaf piles and fire up the AGA !! LOL

It's officially autumn, 04:09 BST this morning!

Autumn started three weeks ago on Sept 1st :fool:

I think it is the point in time at which the Sun's 'overheadness' crosses from the Northern to the Southern hemisphere, and vice verca?

More or less. It's when sun moves southward across the celestial equator and fall begins in the NH. If you are in the States of course.:D

Just in case, the celestial equator divides the sky into southern and northern hemispheres, just as the earth's equator divides the earth into two hemispheres.

Oops, sorry if this has already been answered.:fool:

More or less. It's when sun moves southward across the celestial equator and fall begins in the NH. If you are in the States of course.:cray:

Just in case, the celestial equator divides the sky into southern and northern hemispheres, just as the earth's equator divides the earth into two hemispheres.

Oops, sorry if this has already been answered.:hi:

Like this!

http://imagery.weath...utc_800x600.jpg

• Some first weekend of Summer - even the pigeons don't fancy it

Gusting winds, showers and persistent rain - not the type of weather you'd usually associate with the first weekend of summer. But there will be some improvement through the weekend and into next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

UK Storm and Severe Convective Forecast

UK Severe Convective & Storm Forecast - Issued 2020-06-05 21:46:10 Valid: 06/06/2020 0600 - 07/06/2020 0600 THUNDERSTORM OUTLOOK - SAT 6TH JUNE 2020 Click here for the full forecast

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather