Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HighPressure

Snooker - O'sullivan 'can't Be Bothered For 4K'

Ronnie O'Sullivan

Made this disgraceful statement tonight to the BBC:

"Jan talked me into it [potting the black]. My whole thing was I was going to make 140 and leave the black What's the point of making a 147 if they're only going to give you four grand for it?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/snooker/9016342.stm

Does this guy realise what £4000 can do for those living in poverty in places like Africa? One of the worst things I have heard from a high profile sportsman. It has really made me angry as I deal with kids in The Gambia and 4k could do change lives :unknw:

I can understand why someone uber-rich like him would scoff at £4,000, but it still defies belief that he was only interested in the 147 for the money. As well as entertaining the audience there was also the opportunity to overtake Stephen Hendry's milestone of nine 147 breaks, yet he had to be persuaded into it!

On the other hand it was quite amusing that he asked about the 147 prize while he was on a break of 8- as if he already knew what was coming- and then went on to do a 147. A genius at his sport, shame about his attitude.

I nearly had a 147 once, I missed he first black. :p

Back on topic I can sort of see his point, but it does set a very bad example to everyone watching him.

Why does the word... 'Arrogant' spring to mind?

I watch 'Deal or no Deal' and to be honest, these contestants would say that they could do a lot with £4,000.

It's time that Rocket Ronnie got his head out of his @rse, his profession having made him £6 million the richer to wake up and smell the coffee.

Phil.

But he isn't staving and living in Africa, and he isn't a contestant on Deal or No Deal. There are no consequences to anyone other than himself to not winning that £4000. I'd question his professionalism, but not his morals!

If you're walking down the street and you see a 20p on the floor, do you pick it up, or might you not be bothered? That 20p could buy enough grain to feed a family for several hours.

I agree, I think what was unreasonable about it was the fact that a large majority of the crowd wanted to see another 147, not the money.

Ronnie did redeem himself to some extent in his subsequent match against Jimmy White, turning down a miss because he felt that particular instance of the miss rule was too harsh, and then his subsequent interview about the 147 was interesting, suggesting that he was doing it partly to incite a controversial talking point and do something "different", rather than it being mainly about the money.

There is often a saying about particularly talented sports professionals, "love them or hate them", regarding their strong but often-controversial contributions to the sport. Ronnie O'Sullivan is an exceptional case in that I seem to both love and hate him.

Oh come on, he's not the brightest button is he !!! Just another mindless comment which had no real thought behind it at all, except maybe that it sounded like the kind of thing a 'maverick' or 'bad boy' might say, which is probably all that lay behind the comment in terms of his thought processes (or lack of them).