Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cakie

School Cancels Outside Break

The world has gone mad that kids are not allowed to go out and let off a bit of steam

School cancels outside break

I don't know the full story but from the look of the building it didn't pop up overnight and if you live near a school you know you are going to have a bit of noise. I like the sound of kids charging around (so long as I don't have to deal with the aftermath) and my neighbours love to hear the kids (shouting et all) What is the future for our kids that they can't make a noise or run around :drinks:

The world has gone mad that kids are not allowed to go out and let off a bit of steam

School cancels outside break

I don't know the full story but from the look of the building it didn't pop up overnight and if you live near a school you know you are going to have a bit of noise. I like the sound of kids charging around (so long as I don't have to deal with the aftermath) and my neighbours love to hear the kids (shouting et all) What is the future for our kids that they can't make a noise or run around :drinks:

I could not agree with you more. We always are hearing in the press similar stories. for example relative newcomers to a village complaining of the church bells. Another issuen that really annoys me is residents of fairly new housing developments complaining about further development being proposed near them. They conveniently forget that they created a similar situation a few years previously.

I am a safety officer for a local BSS football team and we have meetings with representatives with local residents every six months. The two ladies concerned seem to expend all their efforts in trying to find something amiss. Poorly parked cars, rubbish being discarded. noise from the social club at nights. In most cases it has been proved that it is not us at fault (in some instances it is the Athletics Club with whom we groundshare or are responsible, but it does not stop them triyng to lay blame at our door.

Rant over.

Sad state of affairs really, i mean in most schools both morning and afternoon break time's are around 15 mins long and add to the lunch hour, that is one hour and 30mins of noise. Not exactly going too caused a huge convenience really.

As a country, we are encouraged for youngsters to eat healthy and do exercise, sitting around in a classroom is not going to give you much exercise to burn off those caleries!

I remember when going to an art studio a couple of years ago, it was beside a school, and at breaktime the kids would play out in the school yard, and I estimate that well over 90% of the kids caused nobody any problems at all- the kids playing just becomes background noise really. Unfortunately, a few idiots kept kicking balls off the windows and seriously disrupting the people trying to have a relaxing time and doing some painting.

My guess is that this particular instance may have been similar- it is more likely to stem from a few idiots' misbehaviour than the general noise of the children playing.

Health and Safety policies seem to have the "the minority have to spoil it for the majority" ingrained in them. If something can be abused, if the school bans it, it's unlikely that it will be sued on Health and Safety grounds even if abuse continues to occur (e.g. irresponsible snowballing in schools where snowball fights are banned). But if the school only bans abuse of it, as soon as an incidence of abuse occurs the school risks being sued for negligence, where "negligence" appears to be defined as "failing to punish dozens of innocent people as well as the offenders".

That really is sad and pathetic......what kind of boring, stuck up, grumpy auld fart would complain about something they did as a kid aswell? Really, it's no wonder kids and teenagers these days are turning to more destructive and illegal behaviour.

Who are these neighbours why don't they name them, Easy to shout from behind closed doors what a bunch of plonkers, i know of a couple who brought a property in a very very wealthy estate next to the sea, Who at the first residents meeting wanted to know when the estate committee was going to get rid of the seagulls :rofl:

what a truly sad world we live in-it gets dafter by the day.

i have two primary/junior schools within 5 minutes walk from my house. and i have never been bothered by the noise at playtimes. in fact when i first started taking my dog out, the first place i went was outside the school at break time so he got used to the noise and watched the kids running around. now when i walk him past the playground he doesnt bat an eye at the noise or mass of running children.

even if you move into somewhere new, you have to be pretty silly to not know there is a school nearby and that school run and playtimes will be noisey.

yes John, indeed, dafter and dafter

Ridiculous indeed......the neighbours IMO, should be shot and the dismembered heads mounted on pikes at town hall.....that should stop the complaining....Harsh, but fair (I hate whingebags who have nothing better to do, no punishment is too harsh...lol) :diablo:

The school governors and local councillors are as much to blame, Acting like scared cats who at the utterance of this might be a fight cave in with out lifting a finger, When i was voted chairman of the local village committee there were 13 members at the first meeting, I stated that anybody who thinks that he can walk around saying i am a committee member and not do any work might think about there position?

7 turned up at next meeting, Said it all, Bloody good committee though.

Ridiculous indeed......the neighbours IMO, should be shot and the dismembered heads mounted on pikes at town hall.....that should stop the complaining....Harsh, but fair (I hate whingebags who have nothing better to do, no punishment is too harsh...lol) :diablo:

Now thats the kinda stuff I like to hear....wooo for bloody torture.

I remember the girls in our secondary school having screaming competitions where about 10 would stand in a row and they would all scream at the top of their voices!! lol!

All that happened is they would get a stern look for the dinner lady (Mrs Bootin.....we were terrified of her,we though that if we miss-behaved, she would stick her 'boot-in'and that's why she was called it, so we were always very good :( )

I think that we all need Mrs Bootin now to come and give the 'authorities' a big kick up the backside!!

I mean, what a really, really stupid thing to go and do?! I really hope they enjoy looking like fools in the national and world press, they deserve it!

The poor kids though, how long is it goona be before all schools are decreed as being too dangerous for kids to go to?

Ridiculous indeed......the neighbours IMO, should be shot and the dismembered heads mounted on pikes at town hall.....that should stop the complaining....Harsh, but fair (I hate whingebags who have nothing better to do, no punishment is too harsh...lol) :(

never mind the town hall. how about outside the school fence :D

I remember the girls in our secondary school having screaming competitions where about 10 would stand in a row and they would all scream at the top of their voices!! lol!

All that happened is they would get a stern look for the dinner lady (Mrs Bootin.....we were terrified of her,we though that if we miss-behaved, she would stick her 'boot-in'and that's why she was called it, so we were always very good :( )

I think that we all need Mrs Bootin now to come and give the 'authorities' a big kick up the backside!!

I mean, what a really, really stupid thing to go and do?! I really hope they enjoy looking like fools in the national and world press, they deserve it!

The poor kids though, how long is it goona be before all schools are decreed as being too dangerous for kids to go to?

I think that's the real problem- with the rise of Health & Safety + compensation culture (plus the growing legal necessity of blanket prohibitions regardless of whether the misbehaviour is widespread, perpetuated by the odd few or even non-existent- sometimes it can just be that someone might misbehave, or indeed that neighbours got annoyed at non-misbehaviour) will we reach a point where kids literally can't do anything other than work? I have heard a few teachers trotting out the argument "children are here to work, not to enjoy themselves, so what's wrong with banning things that aren't work?" over the years, though they may not necessarily be typical.

That really is sad and pathetic......what kind of boring, stuck up, grumpy auld fart would complain about something they did as a kid aswell? Really, it's no wonder kids and teenagers these days are turning to more destructive and illegal behaviour.

Precisely my thoughts when I read on this story a couple of days ago.

So they were never kids themselves eh? Never got up to a bit of mischief or shouted in the school playground?

So then lets ban all outdoor PE activities such as football and cricket whilst we're at it.

This country really is going to hell in a handcart. :nonono:

Phil.

Now this is a rare case where I think the teachers should go on strike! Along with the rest of the town.

Frankly the morons who chose to buy a house next to a school and then complain about the noise can b*gger off out of my country. We don't want you here :D Scum like these should be rooted out, not allowed to spread! :angry:

And I speak as one who hates kids!