Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Walkers Guess Where It Will Rain And Win £10

westysweather

Posted

I woke up before 8am today just to get my third pick in. And Nice currently ive got £50 hoping to increase by tommorrow picks though!

Good going. £40 here. Joined 12 days ago. :)

Posted

Good going. £40 here. Joined 12 days ago. :)

I only found out a week ago , it's a shame we didn't have any Snow at start of October or I might have been following the forums and found out about this sooner . I know me and you would be having our useful rants about postcodes on the radar haha. I wonder if Snow counts on this by the way , Cause in November half the Scotland pics probably will be Snow lol.

Oh and how long from winning did it take to get your checks ?

Posted

Well it's gone 5pm and looking at the radar on Netweather it shows a nice pixel of 1mm in the past 2 hours, but 4mm in the past 4 hours close to my square. Annoyingly there's no 3 hour accumulation chart? :rolleyes:

Bit it looks very marginal today, not sure if my square (28790 Caherdaniel) managed to scrape 1mm or not?

Haha, no way! I've just realised the square I picked is one away from yours. 28789 Bealtra, just to the left of yours on the map!

Definitely some rain in the area this afternoon although hard to make out from the NW radar how much as it only has 15 minute updates for Ireland as opposed to the usual 5 minutes. We're definitely in with a shot I think, but mine right on the coast will probably be too far west!

I only found out a week ago , it's a shame we didn't have any Snow at start of October or I might have been following the forums and found out about this sooner . I know me and you would be having our useful rants about postcodes on the radar haha. I wonder if Snow counts on this by the way , Cause in November half the Scotland pics probably will be Snow lol.

Oh and how long from winning did it take to get your checks ?

LOL. They should definitely consider a winter themed version to follow on from this. "Win £10 every day it snows!" It would be a lot cheaper to run. :whistling:

First two cheques that arrived today were won Tue & Wed last week so 5-6 days to arrive. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Haha, no way! I've just realised the square I picked is one away from yours. 28789 Bealtra, just to the left of yours on the map!

Definitely some rain in the area this afternoon although hard to make out from the NW radar how much as it only has 15 minute updates for Ireland as opposed to the usual 5 minutes. We're definitely in with a shot I think, but mine right on the coast will probably be too far west!

LOL. They should definitely consider a winter themed version to follow on from this. "Win £10 every day it snows!" It would be a lot cheaper to run. :whistling:

First two cheques that arrived today were won Tue & Wed last week so 5-6 days to arrive. :)

Had the thought of the snowy one for ages in my head. :p

Won £20 so far, and have £30 for tea time tomorrow on the West coast of Ireland. ;)

Posted

Maybe someone should suggest it to them , Although I guess all this side of Christmas's Crisps have already gone out ... Besides they got the excuse this one runs till end of march ... Another query as well it says all late entrys will be placed into one final draw on the 2nd April ?? How's that going to work then , They would run out of squares by the 18th of November , Unless they make the squares unlimited in that case if the 2nd of April is a wet day we could mount up thousands by then

Posted

Haha, well there you go :) Yeah the majority of the rain near my square was to the east of my square, though I suspect the over 1mm pixel may have crept into the eastern side of my square? Come tomorrow morning we should know or not when Walkers update the site :)

Posted

I wished i picked the earlier time slot now, as the front seems quite well advanced.

Looking at the satellite pictures, it could clear slightly before another group of heavy showers follows.

Fingers crossed.

Posted

How has somebody got 5 picks tomorrow? Not sure that's fair really on everyone else however it is being done. AFAIK the maximum that should be possible per person is 2.

Without have multiple accounts* (cheating and if caught you don't get paid) it's just possible to get 3 squares - for example, the grid for Friday became available at 8.00am today. Pick one square today, one square tomorrow and, if there are any squares left, a third one early on Thursday before the grid closes at 8.00am. Of course, that does mean there will be days you don't have any squares, but if it's looking mostly dry for a couple of days, this is well worth doing.

* however I think it's one account per person, not per household. So if the whole family get involved ..... :)

Edited by Essan

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Looks like a flunk today as Ireland and Scotland has very little rain this morning. Shows how forecasts/ models can over- represent rain/ get timings out.

Its came through quicker and is patchier, perhaps developments to come pm though in NW?

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

EDIT: Actually it looks like we are in a broad warm sector and the cold front still lies west of Ireland, still hope that rain will develop, western Scotland and the Highlands must see orographic rain much of the day at least.

Posted

Yep it's certaintly worth getting the other half registered and maybe giving them some help....(cough, if you know what I mean).

It's certaintly been an eye opener for me, in that I've never gone for a square in Dorset, but 90% of my squares go to west Scotland, where it must be a very wet place to live !.

I do hope they do this again in the spring as it might help pay for the summer holidays.

Maybe everybody should mail walkers to say how much they are enjoying the game.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

My square in the east and west of Ireland may go bust. How fast has the rain come through! Im quite gutted at this lol and my other square in northeast england for 2pm-5pm is looking dodgy aswell now. This is looking like a terrible picking day for me :(

Posted

Wales would have been the place to go today its pouring!

Posted

I wished i picked the earlier time slot now, as the front seems quite well advanced.

Looking at the satellite pictures, it could clear slightly before another group of heavy showers follows.

Fingers crossed.

So the forecast has completely changed?! Very odd. The radar says it should be raining quite a bit here in Norwich at the moment but looking outside it's bone dry!

Posted

I have 2 squares for today both 11am - 2pm, one in the Scottish highlands which doesn't look too good, and one around Cambridgeshire which looks promising, bring on the rain:-)

Posted

I have 2 squares for today both 11am - 2pm, one in the Scottish highlands which doesn't look too good, and one around Cambridgeshire which looks promising, bring on the rain:-)

And it should have been the opposite although I think you will struggle for 1mm in Cambs still.

Posted

So the forecast has completely changed?! Very odd. The radar says it should be raining quite a bit here in Norwich at the moment but looking outside it's bone dry!

I think its just a small gap in the band, it looks quite promising for Norfolk.

Its not as easy as it first appears predicting rain( unless your names essan)

Posted

And it should have been the opposite although I think you will struggle for 1mm in Cambs still.

Yes, alot of the rain is light and patchy, but the band currently around Manchester / NW Midlands that's heading SE should hopefully clinch the deal, here's hoping anyway lol.

Posted

Yes, alot of the rain is light and patchy, but the band currently around Manchester / NW Midlands that's heading SE should hopefully clinch the deal, here's hoping anyway lol.

Good luck!

Posted

I think its just a small gap in the band, it looks quite promising for Norfolk.

Its not as easy as it first appears predicting rain( unless your names essan)

Completely agree with you there, the squares are incredibly small. I've currently got two more squares on for tomorrow on the west coast of Ireland so fingers crossed for them because it looks like I've missed out today!

Posted

My square in the east and west of Ireland may go bust. How fast has the rain come through! Im quite gutted at this lol and my other square in northeast england for 2pm-5pm is looking dodgy aswell now. This is looking like a terrible picking day for me :(

Terrible day ( Bluddy GFS lol) I thought glasgow would be fine between 8-11 with all the high pressure to the South and Low near Scotland I thought it would stall at least for a little bit early this morning. Winds are Southerly as well so I not sure how this rain band has crossed so quickly , There's not even hardly any showers behind it which GFS has made out all week there would be in Scotland and N Ireland . My £40 on today will be lucky if it has made a tenner. Who would have thought we have been better off picking sqaures in the South.

Posted

Completely agree with you there, the squares are incredibly small. I've currently got two more squares on for tomorrow on the west coast of Ireland so fingers crossed for them because it looks like I've missed out today!

It looks like i may have won my first tenner today, with a square near Bideford.

Its been very wet down there all morning.

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Posted

4km square is 2.4 miles in each direction . I don't think the Met office can have that many weather stations though so I don't see how they can say exactly where showers have formed . I might still have half a chance if they predict the showers correctly but how they measure in every 4km square weather 1mm has fallen is beyond me .

Posted

4km square is 2.4 miles in each direction . I don't think the Met office can have that many weather stations though so I don't see how they can say exactly where showers have formed . I might still have half a chance if they predict the showers correctly but how they measure in every 4km square weather 1mm has fallen is beyond me .

Radar accumulation as the superb Netweather radar features makes it simple.

Terrible day ( Bluddy GFS lol) I thought glasgow would be fine between 8-11 with all the high pressure to the South and Low near Scotland I thought it would stall at least for a little bit early this morning. Winds are Southerly as well so I not sure how this rain band has crossed so quickly , There's not even hardly any showers behind it which GFS has made out all week there would be in Scotland and N Ireland . My £40 on today will be lucky if it has made a tenner. Who would have thought we have been better off picking sqaures in the South.

As I mentioned above most of the UK is in a broad warm sector with some degree of orographic enhancement (e.g. west Wales) and therefore not in a showery airstream, that will be tomorrow, although most places they will be few and far between.

In any case more frontal rain coming into parts of the north of Ireland/ Eire and western Scotland now.

Edited by Tonyh