Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather General Discussion

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

are you sure that's not the rain moving down from the North overnight as most showers are forecast to die away this evening

I don't think so as this forecast mentions the rain for later on in the night separately. This is courtesy of the Met Office:

Headline:

Scattered heavy showers lasting into the night.

This Evening and Tonight:

Showers will become heavier with a risk of thunder this

evening. Some spots will have considerable amounts of rain. Later in the night

the rain will ease, before it becomes wet again towards morning. Minimum

temperature 10 °C

Posted

The storm has now seemed to have eased off, but I think there is something else brewing not to far away to the West / Northwest. Could this be storm number two? ;)

hope so the amount of rain and hail that fell from the last one was excellent to watch.

Edited by SNOWBLOCK

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Over 22mm past hour in the Newcastle area with more to come!

Posted

Temp dropped to 6.7C in the hail ;)

now 10.2c

Edited by Chassisbot

Posted

Obviously too report we had thunder and lightning, torrential rain and hail stones here also, saw about 7 flashes of lightning and i could easily double the amount of thunder i heard. It does seem to eased off at the moment but it still looks like its raining heavily to my South.

Certainly satisfied after seeing a huge shower cloud earlier on in the day but no thunder/lightning reported.

Shame days like this don't come too often here but when they do, they are certainly worth waiting for.

Edited by Geordiesnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Is it just me or are the cluster of storms over the newcastle area moving south? The skies look promising to my north but then again they have looked promising all afternoon and have only had 1 moderate shower.

Posted

Massive development in that storm but I'm not seeing any rotation - on the NW Radar anyway.

Play back the last hour you can see how the intense precipitation core seems to spin in a clockwise motion heading off on a slightly SE bearing. Upper winds are northerly to its north and SW to its south, so a strong convergence.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

It's got noticably humid and uncomfortable here in the office in Consett this afternoon, it feels just right for a storm but only light showers here so far. All the good stuff is east and north of here.

Looks like more torrential to come over parts of Tyne and Wear.

Posted

* = I am willing to be proved wrong if it means getting thundery weather!

Thankfully being proved wrong is a very good thing!

Just had a thunderstorm here, a fairly small but quite electrically active one. Some very angry clouds gathered

to the north and west and I saw two overhead flashes of lightning and several loud rumbles of thunder. Has been

raining fror about 15 minutes, with about 5 minutes of torrential rain.

And what a rapid moving trough it is! Brief thundery shower just whipped through here between 15.55-16.10 with

two bright flashes and two loud rumbles, the second of which was overhead. The cloud was very interesting with

quite a discreet cell visible with lots of fast moving ragged scud beneath it ;).

That doubles the amount of thunder I've heard this year lol!!

Posted

Play back the last hour you can see how the intense precipitation core seems to spin in a clockwise motion heading off on a slightly SE bearing. Upper winds are northerly to its north and SW to its south, so a strong convergence.

I see it slightly now, I'm not surprised that there is rotation mind with that convergence.

Cell to the West of Hereford has started to develop in the last 30mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Gone quite dark over Newcastle again, and I just heard another rumble of thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

wind really picking up here now.

Not much on the radar heading for us, even just a few miles east in Stanley they are getting a lot more rain than Consett, so I'm looking forward to going home.

Hopefully something moving in from the west will explode into life for us!

Posted

Well it's looked promising here in Doncaster but seems to be going around me on the East of town at the moment, plenty of friends etc over the other side of town had some thunder but all quiet here at the moment (bar the large wind increase).

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

radar looked quite intense near burton upon trent at 16.15 not sure what it's like now though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Plenty of sferics detected in the line currently stretching south of Swindon, any first hand reports from this? Im thinking of heading out into the traffic....

Posted

BREAKING NEWS

It's Cloudy

Posted

Plenty of sferics detected in the line currently stretching south of Swindon, any first hand reports from this? Im thinking of heading out into the traffic....

That line does look good on the radar. Like you say, plenty of sferics detected. Might be worth a little chase if your in that area.