Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's Your Ideal Winters Day?

Backtrack

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

This is it taken on the 19th of December 2009 at 2.30pm, -1c, fresh north wind, light snow showers coming in off the Firth, bright blue skies between the showers and about an inch of powdery snow on the frozen ground. Very scenic but not disruptive.post-2744-098525900 1284703181_thumb.jpg

Yes, my ideal winters day, anything like this, that’s not disruptive.

post-1046-061295000 1284716539_thumb.jpgpost-1046-083148700 1284716543_thumb.jpgpost-1046-024218200 1284716547_thumb.jpgpost-1046-092669400 1284716548_thumb.jpgpost-1046-075855900 1284716549_thumb.jpgpost-1046-098834700 1284716550_thumb.jpg

post-1046-086948800 1284716536_thumb.jpg

Posted

The 8th of January this year, when it had dropped to -15.0º the night before, and only rose to -6.5º during the day...angel dust in the air....ahhhhhh! That was pretty close to being perfect.

post-717-004478900 1284717968_thumb.jpg post-717-085033700 1284718080_thumb.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nine feet of level snow with a maximum temperature of -1C...I'm off to Telford!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Perhaps I should provide some pictures of the sort of "ideal winter's day" I was envisaging as well:

post-7-081087600 1284728748_thumb.jpgpost-7-013276500 1284728784_thumb.jpgpost-7-076271900 1284728765_thumb.jpg

Posted

Crystal clear blue skies no wind deep snow cover.:unsure: I love it

Edited by clee_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

waking up at 6 am in the morning pitch black, ice on the roads, severe white frost all over the grass and trees, especially around christmas. and the feeling of warmth in your room/bedroom. while you listen to xmas music, adverts etc on tv. sort of talking more on christmas now lol. oh and on the day i describe, knowing that later on your are forecast heavy snow leading to disruption. lovely.....

:nea:

Its a very difficult choice for me as i love brisk southwesterlies bringing 15c as much as a clear, sunny and cold day at 0c. Although i would settle for plenty of snow overnight, then the temperature rising just above freezing so it can stick together to make snowballs.

Posted

A day on a par with February 15th 1979, cold and dry,cloudy and windless with an increasing easterly wind bringing light snow showers at first which gradually increase to heavy powdery snow with considerable drifting-chaos by the next morning with most roads blocked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

My ideal winter day would be preceded by low pressure from the SW bringing mild wet weather for a couple of days to wash away all the road salt and then a dry day and sunny spells with temps around 10C. This happened in January 2008, perfect conditions for giving the motorcycle a winter blast.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Looking at netweather???

Posted

A day on a par with February 15th 1979, cold and dry,cloudy and windless with an increasing easterly wind bringing light snow showers at first which gradually increase to heavy powdery snow with considerable drifting-chaos by the next morning with most roads blocked.

I was going to highlight that spell as well. Snow with high winds is a beautiful combination.

Posted

same as above :drinks:

My perfect winter 24 hour period to be played out during winter 2010/11

After and overnight low around -10c 14f and deep powder snow from the previous days prolonged

snow showers the sun is starting to haze over as the stratus clouds start to move in. During the

morning and into the early afternoon the clouds thicken into a thick nimbostratus layer. The wind

increasing all the time from a variable light to moderate in the morning to a strong east northeasterly

mid afternoon as the first powdery flakes start to fall. Temperatures max out at -4c (windchill -12c).

By mid evening a major blizzard is unfolding with forcasters advising the need to stay indoors and

not travel. Approximate snowfall depths have been marked up from 30cm to as much as 45cm.

Night time min around -7c the blizzards bringing white out conditions at times accompany the gale

force winds and severely drifting snow.

The blizzard continues relentlessly through the night. By daybreak I sweep back the curtains to reveal

a unfamiliar world with snow still thick in the air and drifts that have literally buried cars creep up

towards the bedroom window sill.

The telly is talking of the worst blizzard in over 150years with east Anglia and the southeast completely

cut off from the rest of the country with up to 60cm of snow falling and no sign of an end to the bitter

winter weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

my ideal winters day would be global warming gone mad, with a daytime temp of 86F, a light breeze, with a big evening spanish plume initiated thunderstorm, followed by a dramatic drop in temperature after 9pm to about 0C and approx 6 inches of snow which melts by mid-morning thus not affecting my work schedule, and repeat this daily cycle.....As one might gather, I love snow, but detest the cold as it's physically uncomfortable and plays havoc with my business income (I work outdoors)...Needless to see, I will never see my ideal winters day :drinks:

Heavy snow overnight of 30mm rain equivalent or more, strong winds making drifts many meters high. During the day, clear blue skies and max temp of -5C. Maybe some thunder snow for good measure.

Not too much to ask for? :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Ideally a bitterly cold night under crystal clear skies - temps -5c or lower (I'd like -16c like Manchester got last winter!).

Then a crystal clear sunny day temps not above -2c/-1c with the only cloud being the odd rogue snow shower. Essentially like early Jan was this year. I can take or leave the snow (although I'd prefer to get more than last winters 4cm!) but just want the clear, sunny skies. I'd happily take the dreaded 2c-7c range so long as it was clear. Just don't like unending cloud off the North Sea!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Lampost watching as the snow gradually gets heavier the night before, then waking up to a foot or 2 of snow with some large drifts the next morning with just some light snow falling. As the day progresses, temperatures climb to just below 0C, with frequent blustery blizzard like snow showers bringing the wind chill down to -15C. But nice sunny spells too so the snow can glisten in the sunlight.

Snow level like this

snowmet-1.jpg

But where conditions change from this...

...to this in minutes!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I have two ideal weather setups for winter.

The main one is idea of something like Feb 2nd 2009 or Jan 5th/6th 2010 where the snow was powdery and there were nice big fat flakes. Usually this comes during a spell which is set to last as opposed to the likes of 13th Jan 2010 which was followed by a thaw the days following.

Alternatively, and I prefer this during the early winter, are the really stormy days with dramatic showers e.g. 21st Nov 2009 or 1st Dec 2007 where there are violent squalls, hail, thunder, lightning with big cloud structures and sun between. I'd love it if a period of stormy cold zonality went on to give a northerly with increasingly wintry showers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

To be really honest, i would so so so love it to SNOW Christmas eve night through to Christmas day. My little girl even my step son have never had that experience,which is so portrayed throughout the festive season on telly,books,etc. Even now my little girl has asked if there will be SNOW at Christmas. So Im praying for the BIG WHITE STUFF.

The winter forecasts are so hit and MISS that REALLY the message is WHO knows.

My personal opinion is PLEASE be worse than this year,Very selfish I know but TIS the season to be jolly .drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Simple.

February 12th, 2008.

I must admit, although my ultimate preferences lie elsewhere, I thoroughly enjoyed the spell 8th-20th February 2008. I can't recall another winter anticyclonic spell like it as far as the combination of consistently warm sunny days, frosty foggy nights and stunning sunsets is concerned.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Continuous heavy snow driven by a 60 mph E/NE wind and a temperature of -8c, that'll do for June.

As for winter, hmmm now let me think, continuous heavy snow driven by a ......

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

My perfect winter 24 hour period to be played out during winter 2010/11

After and overnight low around -10c 14f and deep powder snow from the previous days prolonged

snow showers the sun is starting to haze over as the stratus clouds start to move in. During the

morning and into the early afternoon the clouds thicken into a thick nimbostratus layer. The wind

increasing all the time from a variable light to moderate in the morning to a strong east northeasterly

mid afternoon as the first powdery flakes start to fall. Temperatures max out at -4c (windchill -12c).

By mid evening a major blizzard is unfolding with forcasters advising the need to stay indoors and

not travel. Approximate snowfall depths have been marked up from 30cm to as much as 45cm.

Night time min around -7c the blizzards bringing white out conditions at times accompany the gale

force winds and severely drifting snow.

The blizzard continues relentlessly through the night. By daybreak I sweep back the curtains to reveal

a unfamiliar world with snow still thick in the air and drifts that have literally buried cars creep up

towards the bedroom window sill.

The telly is talking of the worst blizzard in over 150years with east Anglia and the southeast completely

cut off from the rest of the country with up to 60cm of snow falling and no sign of an end to the bitter

winter weather.

Now that would be a RESULT. Dec,Jan or Feb?

Posted

I would like the best of both worlds. A clear crisp morning, sunny with a light frost, or even layer of snow. I will go out and walk through the cornish country side with my dogs, with my gloves and hat on. Get home and put the fire on, when the cloud starts building around 2/3 o'clock and we then have some lovely snow showers whilst enjoying dinner with my family. Perfect :(