Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

What's Your Ideal Winters Day?

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hey all, just to boost some spirits, and have a look what others look forward to in Winter, what's your ideal day?

For example;

My ideal day is: Just having come out of a long Delamere forest walk on a frosty sunday afternoon. Football is on the radio and the wind is blowing strong. My nose is running and the car thermo reads 1c, and a front of snow is getting ready to push in!

Yours? :lol:

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Hey all, just to boost some spirits, and have a look what others look forward to in Winter, what's your ideal day?

For example;

My ideal day is: Just having come out of a long Delamere forest walk on a frosty sunday afternoon. Football is on the radio and the wind is blowing strong. My nose is running and the car thermo reads 1c.

Yours? :ph34r:

I don't think reading that will raise people spirits up! :shok:

Anyways, mine would be, heavy snow showers coming in from the east with sunshine inbetween, lamppost watching the snow whilst watching Newcastle beating Man United.

I suppose i can dream though. :lol:

Posted

I don't think reading that will raise people spirits up! :)

Anyways, mine would be, heavy snow showers coming in from the east with sunshine inbetween, lamppost watching the snow whilst watching Newcastle beating Man United.

I suppose i can dream though. :lol:

That's my ideal day though. We all get a runny nose in Winter. :ph34r:

I love the snow too. :shok:

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

Mines is :

Cold temps about -3c with little wind and loads of sunshine reflecting off the iciles and snow with some hoar frost added in as well. I remember that last year mmm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Depends on how you define "runny nose"- we all do to a certain extent but when I see "runny nose" I think "nose constantly running like a tap, and 1 hour of sleep in 2 nights due to keep having to blow your nose while in bed" lol!

I think my ideal day would be similar to what Geordiesnow describes- a mix of sun and heavy snow showers, winds from NE or E, towering cumulonimbus cells and dramatic effects as snow showers introduce large changes in visibility, and I'd add a brief thundersnow event, probably either early morning or late evening, with a few flashes & rumbles.

Posted

Depends on how you define "runny nose"- we all do to a certain extent but when I see "runny nose" I think "nose constantly running like a tap, and 1 hour of sleep in 2 nights due to keep having to blow your nose while in bed" lol!

I think my ideal day would be similar to what Geordiesnow describes- a mix of sun and heavy snow showers, winds from NE or E, and I'd add a brief thundersnow event, probably either early morning or late evening, with a few flashes & rumbles.

Hi Ian,

I meant the type caused by the wind. The windchill, not the flu type. :)

You don't seem too easy to please :lol:

Thundersnow is something I have only seen/heard once. That and the fact that we've only had 2 storms here all summer, so what's the odds of that in winter :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, you asked for "ideal day", so I thought I'd be specific! I tend to be easily pleased whenever "sunshine" and/or "convective precipitation" and/or "snow" appears somewhere in the description, so I don't think I'm that hard to please.

Posted

Well, you asked for "ideal day", so I thought I'd be specific! I tend to be easily pleased whenever "sunshine" and/or "convective precipitation" and/or "snow" appears somewhere in the description, so I don't think I'm that hard to please.

We actually get alot of that up here in Winter. If we get a Westerly (cold Westerly) we seem to get alot of convective hailstone rather than snow. We don't get much thunder from those, but scattered heavy hailstone showers is what we get alot of in winter. Seperated by the sunshine inbetween it makes for a pretty lovely day. So I like your idea of thinking!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Hi Ian,

Thundersnow is something I have only seen/heard once. That and the fact that we've only had 2 storms here all summer, so what's the odds of that in winter :p

THUNDERSNOW! morning noon or night would be it for me in Warwick.

My favourite winter day would have to be the Friday 8th February 1991. There were 6 or 7 inches of fresh snow on the ground from low pressure pushing from the east on the Thursday evening, college was closed, the sun was shining and no thaw of the snow at all that day.

My ideal weather pattern would be very close to the event on the 12th Jan 2010, when low pressure pushed in from the South West and hit the embedded cold over us, the only problem with that was that the snow was marginal and this led to a steady thaw the following day.

If this could happen with less marginal conditions say with the cold of the previous week, that would be my ideal weather scenario.

Posted

Hi Ian,

Its nice too know that the North East gets at least more thunder/lightning in winter than in another region unlike the summer time! 31st December 2009 had thundersnow around here, a few flashes of lightning in some of the snow showers on that occasion. There been other days in previous winters where thunder and lightning occured during snow showers also.

Posted

Its nice too know that the North East gets at least more thunder/lightning in winter than in another region unlike the summer time! 31st December 2009 had thundersnow around here, a few flashes of lightning in some of the snow showers on that occasion. There been other days in previous winters where thunder and lightning occured during snow showers also.

waking up at 6 am in the morning pitch black, ice on the roads, severe white frost all over the grass and trees, especially around christmas. and the feeling of warmth in your room/bedroom. while you listen to xmas music, adverts etc on tv. sort of talking more on christmas now lol. oh and on the day i describe, knowing that later on your are forecast heavy snow leading to disruption. lovely.....

Edited by snowlover2009

Posted

My Ideal day has already occurred fortunately- Feb 2nd 2009. 

Heavy snow-showers since the previous evening, leading to 7-10cm of snow by morning with persistent heavy snow showers till 3PM. Then a weather front arrives delivering exceptionally heavy snow-fall for the first two hours, followed by persistent moderate snow with blustery winds leading to semi-blizzard like conditions, continuing till the next day...  :lol:

Definitely not +1C, much prefer somewhat lower, say about -4C, calm with a clear blue sky and bright sunshine, about 20 centimetres of fresh snow having fallen the previous evening and night and blown in a quite strong wind into the most wonderfully shaped drifts. The snow is still powdery and because it is calm dry and the sun is shining it does not really feel that cold. Magic!

Posted

My ideal winter day would be being cosied up at home with the heating cranked up whilst its nearly 0C outside. The Xmas tree is lit up and there are nice films on the tv and presents under the tree... everyone is cosied up inside and the roads are quiet outside.

Does anyone else get annoyed when cars come down the road when its snowing and it starts turning to slush,.. i get really angry lol. I also open the curtains of the lounge so I can see the street light to see if its snowing.

A favourite memory of mine is being a kid on xmas day I must have been about 5yrs old and im 26 now and was born in 1983 so cant remember the year but it was snowing on xmas day and all the family were round watching the tv in the evening, I remember the lounge was only lit by the xmas lights on the tree and everyone had brought their chairs into the middle of the room so it was all cosy and great. Me and my brother had made a snow man earlier in the day. We had a great day.

Funny how you remember memories like those, makes me all warm inside to think of it.

Xmas 2009 was also great, everyone together and it was snowing outside. Roll on winter this year hope it doesnt dissapoint us!

Edited by richardc1983

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

my ideal winter day would be...

The week has been sunny cold and clear blue skies, temps hovering around 0c(32f) and severe night frosts with temp of 12f(-10c) for a few nights with rime frost coating the trees white like snow! on a couple of days, and fern frost patterning cars, then friday night a snow streamer sets up with such heavy snow that it lays fast ,outside becomes brighter with bright orange sky, snow all night very heavy with deep coverings you cant find ya car in the morning! then sunny day with ne'ly bringing thundery snow shrs, then a hard frost to crunch over the top layer of snow!

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

This is it taken on the 19th of December 2009 at 2.30pm, -1c, fresh north wind, light snow showers coming in off the Firth, bright blue skies between the showers and about an inch of powdery snow on the frozen ground. Very scenic but not disruptive.post-2744-098525900 1284703181_thumb.jpg

Posted

Alone in a remote Highland bothy with a huge pile of dry wood. 2 foot of snow overnight with strong winds. Wake to perfect calm. Wall to wall sunshine all day. Temp below freezing throughout. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Morning - Cold north easterly blowing, clear skies with some clouds arriving. Around -2c to 1c

Afternoon - Cloud cover intensifies. Rain, then sleet, then snow! Around 0c to 4c

Night - During the evening the snow rapidly speeds up, and it begins to get some depth... wake up in the morning with a winter wonderland, snow up to 20cm on the ground and everywhere you look, trees, cars, house windows, whatever... Around -5c to -2c

Also, this would happen on Christmas Eve and we I would wake up on Christmas Day.

Thanks.

:lol:

Posted

Some great ideal days - Keep them coming. Let's see how many we can get before the first Northerly, then let's see how many come true. :angry:

quote from Essan

Alone in a remote Highland bothy with a huge pile of dry wood. 2 foot of snow overnight with strong winds. Wake to perfect calm. Wall to wall sunshine all day. Temp below freezing throughout.

With Eva Mendes in the bunk :angry: :unsure: :D:D:D:D:D