Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted

Glosea has churned out 2 weeks of below freezing daytime temperatures plus heavy snow every day. The forecaster is wondering whether Glosea has broken or is actually telling the truth. 

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Here is my shot at what the met office update will look like. January will be a dry wet month with settled spells of unsettled weather with temps mostly around the seasonal average apart from when they are not. Cloudy wet conditions will give way to other weather from time to time which could lead to different weather. As we head further into the month we ain't got a scooby doo, but you all probably already know that Sorry to any ex-met people on here, just joking of course

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lassie23 said:

Here is my shot at what the met office update will look like. January will be a dry wet month with settled spells of unsettled weather with temps mostly around the seasonal average apart from when they are not. Cloudy wet conditions will give way to other weather from time to time which could lead to different weather. As we head further into the month we ain't got a scooby doo, but you all probably already know that Sorry to any ex-met people on here, just joking of course

To be fair Larry that's a good analogy of the Mets non committal approach to long range forecasting 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK Outlook for Wednesday 26 Dec 2018 to Friday 4 Jan 2019:

Boxing Day should be mostly settled with a ridge of high pressure across the UK. Southerly winds will bring mild air across many parts making Boxing Day a rather cloudy affair with drizzly patches over western coasts and hills. The best of any bright or sunny spells likely in the east or northeast. Through the remainder of December and into early January settled conditions should dominate bringing variable amounts of cloud across many parts with temperatures generally around normal. Any clear spells overnight will bring a risk of frost or fog, with fog patches being slow to clear. Northern parts of the UK are likely to see showery periods or longer spells of rain accompanied by strong winds. An increasing chance for northern hill snow through early January.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK Outlook for Saturday 5 Jan 2019 to Saturday 19 Jan 2019:

Generally quite settled and dry across the south with variable amounts of cloud and overnight mist and fog patches. Perhaps more changeable in the north with rain and stronger winds at times. Probably turning more widely unsettled for a time in early January with showers or longer spells of rain and stronger winds affecting all parts along with some hill snow in the north. Then, further into January, most probably becoming colder and drier than normal, with an increased likelihood of easterly winds. There is uncertainty at this stage, but this could see an increased chance of snow across many areas. Despite the potential change to colder weather through mid-January, some milder, wet and windy interludes remain possible throughout the period

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Posted

What is interesting to note, is that about a week ago the update was talking about a change to colder weather in the New Year with the possibility of this happening earlier. This has certainly been pushed back with the change to colder weather 'further into January'.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

What is interesting to note, is that about a week ago the update was talking about a change to colder weather in the New Year with the possibility of this happening earlier. This has certainly been pushed back with the change to colder weather 'further into January'.

Yes, thats not a big problem for me and suggests they do not expect a QTR to any potential split..

It also suggests to me the high near the UK will give in to the Atlantic late this month, thats when the process to the high getting dragged west will commence, thats my hope/theory anyway..

On reflection tho i will start to become a little uneasy if the onset of colder weather starts being delayed to late JAN/FEB.

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
15 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes, thats not a big problem for me and suggests they do not expect a QTR to any potential split..

It also suggests to me the high near the UK will give in to the Atlantic late this month, thats when the process to the high getting dragged west will commence, thats my hope/theory anyway..

On reflection tho i will start to become a little uneasy if the onset of colder weather starts being delayed to late JAN/FEB.

I am going away on the 20th Jan so i can do with the cold hurrying up a bit! 

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

Haha yes, funnily enough, i suspect the 1st sign of a pattern change will be the high giving way..

Would be nice to see some cold/snow before you go tho.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
26 minutes ago, karyo said:

I hope it gets here before April

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, karyo said:

Mid month onwards works for me! I’m stuck in a leg brace for 3 more weeks!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Mid month onwards works for me! I’m stuck in a leg brace for 3 more weeks!

When i booked the holiday i was reading posters thoughts about a front loaded winter so i though 20th Jan would be safe to leave the country. lol

Posted
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

When i booked the holiday i was reading posters thoughts about a front loaded winter so i though 20th Jan would be safe to leave the country. lol

15th-20th works for me, let’s book it in for then. ? 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
33 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

15th-20th works for me, let’s book it in for then. ? 

But that's 15 days' later than it was 15 days back? Early June snowfall, anyone!

Posted
12 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But that's 15 days' later than it was 15 days back? Early June snowfall, anyone!

But if it’s 15 days earlier than it was 15 days back, and now it’s 15 days later it’s actually 15 days sooner than it is 15 days later. So all good Pete :clap:

Posted
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes, we don’t want be chasing the pot of gold all winter!