Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted
21 minutes ago, Don said:

Hmm, at least they’ve dropped the possibility of unsettled conditions continuing into January.

Yes it sounds like a holding update until a clear pattern emerges. Not bad but not exciting either.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UK Outlook for Sunday 16 Dec 2018 to Tuesday 25 Dec 2018:

The middle of the month is likely to remain changeable with a mix of blustery showers and longer spells of rain, and a risk of severe gales at times. Temperatures however will return to near normal for the time of year, with the south and west becoming rather mild at times, although some colder air may move into the north at times to give the risk of some hill snow. Heading into the Christmas week and the most likely scenario is for a continuation of the changeable theme, with some further spells of wind and rain, but interspersed by some brighter but showery weather. Temperatures on the whole look likely to remain around normal, although turning briefly mild in any wet and windy spells, but cooler in any drier interludes.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Posted

UK Outlook for Wednesday 26 Dec 2018 to Wednesday 9 Jan 2019:

The end of 2018 is likely to remain fairly changeable with showers or longer spells of rain, possibly wintry over higher ground. Temperatures look likely to be around normal for the time of year. However, as we head into the New Year, there is the chance of high pressure becoming established close to the UK. This would bring drier and colder weather, but also an increasing chance of some snow showers and nighttime frosts.

• Like 3

Posted
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The end of 2018 is likely to remain fairly changeable with showers or longer spells of rain, possibly wintry over higher ground. Temperatures look likely to be around normal for the time of year. However, as we head into the New Year, there is the chance of high pressure becoming established close to the UK. This would bring drier and colder weather, but also an increasing chance of some snow showers and nighttime frosts.

That's an upgrade to me. 'Snow showers' is a brave call this far out and they don't mention solely in the north. Slowly slowly catchy monkey...

Oops spelling mistake

Edited by ALL ABOARD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

That's an update to me. 'Snow showers' is a brave call this far out and they don't mention solely in the north. Slowly slowly catchy monkey...

It’s certainly an update, looks an upgrade too. ;) 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

That's one word away from a stonker, i am always sceptical until they put a more definitively favourable pressure pattern on it, what we need to see, is 'snow showers around Eastern facing coasts and at times pushing further West at times, with some significant Accumulations in places'

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

That's one word away from a stonker, i am always sceptical until they put a more definitively favourable pressure pattern on it, what we need to see, is 'snow showers around Eastern facing coasts and at times pushing further West at times, with some significant Accumulations in places'

Still two words short, feb: lightning and blizzards!:yahoo:

Posted
Just now, Ed Stone said:

Still two words short, feb: lightning and blizzards!:yahoo:

I know you're only joking and i know you already know this, but they will not mention blizzard at the 31 day range, partly because of the wriiten media but mostly because its very difficult to predict one at that range, blizzard has a very stringent definition, in fact its argued that my username is an incorrect statement.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
30 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes that’s the type of wording they used in November 2010. Not that I’m saying this will be the same of course. Also that wet and windy possibility has been dropped on yesterday’s update from the day before that. So an improvement 2 days running 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, ALL ABOARD said:

The end of 2018 is likely to remain fairly changeable with showers or longer spells of rain, possibly wintry over higher ground. Temperatures look likely to be around normal for the time of year. However, as we head into the New Year, there is the chance of high pressure becoming established close to the UK. This would bring drier and colder weather, but also an increasing chance of some snow showers and night-time frosts. Things will then become bitterly cold with wide spread heavy snow and below average temperatures which will lead to the sea around the British isles freezing and allowing frost fairs to be held on the Thames. Communities will become cut off for weeks at times and cities will grind to a halt as grit supplies run low. This theme will continue with temperatures ranging between -10 and -30 for the rest of winter.

Hope to see something along these lines tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

A great laugh but on a serious note i would put that sentence right at the bottom at the top and enbolden it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
9 minutes ago, ALL ABOARD said:

The end of 2018 is likely to remain fairly changeable with showers or longer spells of rain, possibly wintry over higher ground. Temperatures look likely to be around normal for the time of year. However, as we head into the New Year, there is the chance of high pressure becoming established close to the UK. This would bring drier and colder weather, but also an increasing chance of some snow showers and night-time frosts. Things will then become bitterly cold with wide spread heavy snow and below average temperatures which will lead to the sea around the British isles freezing and allowing frost fairs to be held on the Thames. Communities will become cut off for weeks at times and cities will grind to a halt as grit supplies run low. This theme will continue with temperatures ranging between -10 and -30 for the rest of winter.

Just for Feb..

This might be how WeatherAction would do it:

• Like 4

Posted

Whilst these forecasts can be vague, I personally take more notice of them, than anything else. They have never been on board with any cold ramping since the Scandi heights were beginning to show up a few weeks ago and always favoured the Atlantic winning. Unfortunately this forecast does appear to point to the unlikelihood of a white Christmas for most.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Whilst these forecasts can be vague, I personally take more notice of them, than anything else. They have never been on board with any cold ramping since the Scandi heights were beginning to show up a few weeks ago and always favoured the Atlantic winning. Unfortunately this forecast does appear to point to the unlikelihood of a white Christmas for most.

Ironically i would favor hills of Norn Iron and Scotland as sweet spots for a white christmas  MS- i suspect the best shot is going to be a WNW or NW wind direction..

ps the update is moving in the right direction, lets hope it continues..

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Ironically i would favor hills of Norn Iron and Scotland as sweet spots for a white christmas  MS- i suspect the best shot is going to be a WNW or NW wind direction..

ps the update is moving in the right direction, lets hope it continues..

Personally, I think Christmas Day is looking a bit too early for any proper cold, hogmanay maybe.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, mountain shadow said:

Personally, I think Christmas Day is looking a bit too early for any proper cold, hogmanay maybe.

Possibly, although any PM airflow would put the places i mentioned in the sweet spot..

Either way, i feel, and hope things might start to look interesting between christmas and new year, then again, i cant really spend my time looking at net weather and wz on christmas eve , i'll get another rollocking off the wife!

Posted
51 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Ed we can all read without the colours and large bold print=thank you!

sorry my mistake, should read everything rather than bits!

Edited by johnholmes
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, ALL ABOARD said:

Just for Feb..

Or just pop across the Atlantic and see those conditions on the East coast of  New Foundland in Canada every winter guaranteed 

B52DFE0A-7290-4CB6-81B0-33E57733ECB8.png

Posted

UK Outlook for Monday 17 Dec 2018 to Wednesday 26 Dec 2018:

Through the middle of the month, a mix of blustery showers and longer spells of rain looks likely, with a risk of severe gales. Temperatures will be around normal for the time of year, although the south and west could become rather mild at times. However, a chance of some colder air in the north could give the risk of some hill snow. Heading into the Christmas week, it will probably stay unsettled, with further spells of wind and rain, but interspersed by some brighter and showery weather. Temperatures on the whole look likely to be a little milder than average. However, there is a small chance of colder temperatures, which could bring snow to hilltops in the north, and perhaps to low levels for a time in the northeast.

Posted

UK Outlook for Thursday 27 Dec 2018 to Thursday 10 Jan 2019:

The end of 2018 is likely to remain fairly changeable with showers or longer spells of rain, possibly wintry over higher ground. Temperatures look likely to be around normal for the time of year, although there is a small chance things could turn colder in late December. However, as we head into the New Year, there is an increased chance of high pressure becoming established close to the UK. This would bring drier and colder weather, but also an increasing chance of some snow showers and nighttime frosts.

• Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, SLEETY said:

Or just pop across the Atlantic and see those conditions on the East coast of  New Foundland in Canada every winter guaranteed 

B52DFE0A-7290-4CB6-81B0-33E57733ECB8.png

Gawd no thanks, a bit of frost and some powder snow but not that cold-yuk!

Posted

UK Outlook for Tuesday 18 Dec 2018 to Thursday 27 Dec 2018:

Tuesday will see some unsettled and windy weather with coastal gales, cloud, and outbreaks of rain and drizzle moving eastwards across the UK. The rain and drizzle will be followed by sunny spells and scattered, blustery showers. Showers will fall as snow over northern higher ground. As we head through the remainder of the week and into the Christmas week it will probably stay unsettled, with further spells of wind and rain, these interspersed by some brighter and showery weather. Temperatures on the whole look likely to be a little milder than average. However, in the period after Christmas Day there is an increased likelihood that milder spells will become short-lived and a colder and more showery northerly or northwesterly regime could become established across the UK.

• Like 1