IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy
10 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

"A very uncertain chance of snow."

Who writes this stuff? 

I hope they have a better grasp of meteorology than that of English. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
19 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Who writes this stuff? 

That was an exceptionally stupid sentence to include in their update lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
25 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Who writes this stuff? 

I would love to know what they're looking at to suggest an increased chance of snow

• Like 1

Posted

I do find quite odd the lack of attention that the Met Office give to basic considerations of style and grammar in their updates. It doesn't do them any favours.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I would love to know what they're looking at to suggest an increased chance of snow

If my English Teacher had seen that, it would have been roundly ridiculed. I suspect the "Text" Generation, they have no idea how to write coherently.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold
44 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Who writes this stuff? 

It means they’re useless in issuing yellow snow alerts as they keep getting it wrong! ?‍♂️

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 minutes ago, cj114 said:

If my English Teacher had seen that, it would have been roundly ridiculed. I suspect the "Text" Generation, they have no idea how to write coherently.

Lovely generalisation there, especially when you've unnecessarily capitalised words such as "teacher". Oh I do love a bit of irony!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

Sunday 28 Feb - Sunday 14 Mar

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with likely drier and more settled conditions prevailing. Temperatures are likely to return back to around, if not below-average with a slightly greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased threat of widespread frost and a very uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March, there are signs of returning to a more unsettled period, with milder interludes more likely once more.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

A slight downgrade today going from a 'greater chance' to a 'slightly greater chance' of cold spells during this time.

Edited by Don
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Lovely generalisation there, especially when you've unnecessarily capitalised words such as "teacher". Oh I do love a bit of irony!

An English teacher, as in, it could be anyone... or my English Teacher, the one-and-only?  Or, what if my geography teacher just happened to be English? English really is a horrible language!?

Posted
36 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Irony, it's ironic sometimes isn't it? Lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
4 minutes ago, cj114 said:

Irony, it's ironic sometimes isn't it? Lol

You missed a comma.

You can thank me as a 24-year-old from the so-called "text generation".

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted

Suggest the Met Office foresee either high pressure over or just to the NW or more likely north of the UK as we end the month, allowing for a NE flow to bring snow showers to NE parts. Chance of it moving further NW to pull down a colder north easterly airstream for all, or sits in situ. It definitely suggests heights building to our north, just not clear how far north. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Saturday 20 Feb - Monday 1 Mar

Outbreaks of rain will spread across northern and some western areas of the UK during Saturday, with sunny spells and very mild conditions for the southeast. Into the following week a pattern develops that puts the UK into a broad northwest to southeast split, with the northwest more likely to see rainfall and strong winds at times, and the east and southeast more likely to remain dry, fine, and settled. By the end of February and into early March most of the UK will probably become dry as high pressure becomes dominant, although overnight fog will start to become more likely. Temperatures are likely to be mild across the bulk of the UK during this period.

Monday 1 Mar - Monday 15 Mar

Into March there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with dry and settled conditions most likely. Temperatures are likely to return to around normal, perhaps below-average with a slightly greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased chance of overnight frost and an uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March there are signs of a change to more unsettled and milder conditions.

Posted

The backtracks continue with winter looking more and more likely to go out on a whimper......

Edited by Don
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
42 minutes ago, Thinon said:

Hopefully today's update will remove all references to cold and snow, and be replaced with more exciting words such as "warm", "dry", "sunny", and "barbecue"

I don't expect it, but, personally, I'm hoping for the words "blizzards" and "severe cold" to crop up, and will be doing so for as long as the extended Winter permits these things as possibilities.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I don't expect it, but, personally, I'm hoping for the words "blizzards" and "severe cold" to crop up, and will be doing so for as long as the extended Winter permits these things as possibilities.

I hope that to be the case too, but I expect it to be along the lines of zzzzzz.....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Exeter have updated ,so a chance of wintry hazards beginning of Marcgfs h onwards ,No mention of blizards ,but the word SNOW , ITs a start ,having big BBQ this weekend  your all welcome ,sausage baps and stellas ,GFS hinting of a cold end to February, lets see what Ecm as to offer tonight ,I realy think there will be a BIG HUNT for cold soon ,cheers gang . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Sunday 21 Feb - Tuesday 2 Mar

Outbreaks of rain and strong winds will affect northern and western areas of the UK during Sunday, with other areas staying mostly dry and bright. Going into the following week this pattern looks to continue, with a broad northwest-southeast split to the weather. The northwest is more likely to see rainfall and strong winds at times, and the southeast is more likely to remain dry, fine, and settled. By the end of February and into early March most of the UK will probably turn dry as high pressure becomes dominant, although overnight fog will start to become more likely. Temperatures are likely to be mild or very mild across the UK through this period, possibly only becoming colder at the turn of the month.

Tuesday 2 Mar - Tuesday 16 Mar

In early March there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with dry and settled conditions most likely. Temperatures are predicted to be a little below average at the start of the period, slightly increasing the chances of cold spells occurring. During this time there looks to be an increased likelihood of overnight frosts and a risk of wintry hazards, such as snow and ice. Towards mid-March there are signs of a change to more unsettled and milder conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

That's a better ext update,...the wintry hazards and snow are back on the menu☺️

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
12 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

That's a better ext update,...the wintry hazards and snow are back on the menu☺️

Yes Si,I genuinely think we have a window of opportunity from months end through till 2nd week of March!! Plenty of cold air on tap and a response to the final early Feb warming event..could be a quite a significant cold snap too!!

@Don where are you mate...have you got your rollercoasters back on the tracks yet!! I've been in a que for several days now mate...not good enough..next year I'm off to Disney Land...

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Yes Si,I genuinely think we have a window of opportunity from months end through till 2nd week of March!! Plenty of cold air on tap and a response to the final early Feb warming event..could be a quite a significant cold snap too!!

@Don where are you mate...have you got your rollercoasters back on the tracks yet!! I've been in a que for several days now mate...not good enough..next year I'm off to Disney Land...

Matt, the technicians are working flat out, worked all through the night and they have been told they're not going home until it's up and running!  We cannot have people going off to Disney Land next year! 

Yes, that is a move in the right direction from the Metoffice today, which is also good news for the rollercoaster!   Hopefully, the mid March milder conditions will be put back, too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1