Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Hi gang ,i think todays update as taken place with exact wording  ,or am i totally wrong ,cheers gang . 

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, legritter said:

Hi gang ,i think todays update as taken place with exact wording  ,or am i totally wrong ,cheers gang . 

No, looks like you're correct 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, cold, ice, frost, thundersnow,

I find it interesting that at time of writing the MO are still convinced about a cold, potentially snowy spell later in the month. This is despite a lot of the computer models hinting at very mild weather instead. They have been consistent about a cold end to February for a while now, despite uncertainties about the mid-term (5-10 days ahead).

I wonder if the models are going to reverse and go for a colder outlook soon. It would be interesting as normally we would have a cold spell appearing in 10 days and most models agreeing, only for it to get downgraded and not happen nearer the time. This could be a reverse situation where a notably mild setup appears in 10 days time, only for it to not happen nearer the time, or get downgraded.

Let's see if later the MO upgrade their longer range forecast. If they still stick with the cold, snowy end to February then it will be interesting to see how the models are in the next week or so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Thursday 18 Feb - Saturday 27 Feb

This period begins with temperatures much milder than recent, with temperatures returning to around or slightly above average for most, with some mild spells being seen in the south and west. There remains a small chance to return to wider colder conditions for the weekend, but the likelihood is low. The UK looks to be split broadly northwest to southeast in terms of the general weather types with the west and northwest more likely to see wet conditions with strong winds at times, and the east and south east more likely to remain drier, fine, and settled. Under these settled conditions we may see temperatures falling back to average or below, and with increased incidence of overnight frost and fog. Any snowfall most likely becoming restricted to the Scottish mountains.

Saturday 27 Feb - Saturday 13 Mar

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with likely drier and more settled conditions prevailing. Temperatures likely to return back to around, if not below, average with a greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased threat of widespread frost and a very uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March there are signs of returning to a more unsettled period, with milder interludes more likely once more.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

This period begins with temperatures much milder than recent, with temperatures returning to around or slightly above average for most, with some mild spells being seen in the south and west. There remains a small chance to return to wider colder conditions for the weekend, but the likelihood is low. The UK looks to be split broadly northwest to southeast in terms of the general weather types with the west and northwest more likely to see wet conditions with strong winds at times, and the east and south east more likely to remain drier, fine, and settled. Under these settled conditions we may see temperatures falling back to average or below, and with increased incidence of overnight frost and fog. Any snowfall most likely becoming restricted to the Scottish mountains.

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with likely drier and more settled conditions prevailing. Temperatures likely to return back to around, if not below, average with a greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased threat of widespread frost and a very uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March there are signs of returning to a more unsettled period, with milder interludes more likely once more.

Yup winter over haha

Posted
26 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Yes, a significant backtrack - I wonder what the Met Office were seeing?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
26 minutes ago, georgiedre said:

Yup winter over haha

Don't count on it.

• Like 1

Posted

More downgrades,no mention of snow showers coming in from the East again,expect the chance of any cold spell returning will be also removed.Once mild takes control in the UK thats normally cold chances gone for weeks or months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
4 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

More downgrades,no mention of snow showers coming in from the East again,expect the chance of any cold spell returning will be also removed.Once mild takes control in the UK thats normally cold chances gone for weeks or months.

Months!! Bloody hell mate thats a bit OTT...we've had our fair share of cold snaps this Winter..And if you read that update again the chances are still there!! Surely you can't take a 2 or 3 week forecast that literally!! Beyond 5 days is going some...those updates are changed more often than my other halfs moods.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

They are back tracking slowly so no one notices

Edited by Frostbite1980
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
38 minutes ago, georgiedre said:

They said snow for North Wales today... but there was no snow hahahah 

Hahaha joke? It’s been snowing here in the Ceiriog Valley  fo four hours,  light snow, but steady and it has settled. Just stopped now.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Months!! Bloody hell mate thats a bit OTT...we've had our fair share of cold snaps this Winter..And if you read that update again the chances are still there!! Surely you can't take a 2 or 3 week forecast that literally!! Beyond 5 days is going some...those updates are changed more often than my other halfs moods.

I think their backtracking will continue over the next few days.  This February seems to be shaping up very similar to those of 2009 and 2012 and they both had very mild second halves and the Marches which followed were also mild, so I think realistically (not definitely obviously)  proper cold is off the menu until next winter now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.
2 minutes ago, Don said:

I think their backtracking will continue over the next few days.  This February seems to be shaping up very similar to those of 2009 and 2012 and they both had very mild second halves and the Marches which followed were also mild, so I think realistically (not definitely obviously)  proper cold is off the menu until next winter now.

Neither me you or the met have a crystal ball don..and there's never any point in trying to make a prediction based on previous winter events..pattern matching is fraught with errors! 

On a funnier note Don im confident we will get another bite at the cherry before we are done..remember this post don for future reference,perhaps save it so you can get back to me and say yes Matt you nailed it!! seriously Don your a good poster but I feel you may be wrong with this one...we shall see....Have a fab weekend mate  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MATTWOLVES said:

On a funnier note Don im confident we will get another bite at the cherry before we are done..remember this post don for future reference,perhaps save it so you can get back to me and say yes Matt you nailed it!! seriously Don your a good poster but I feel you may be wrong with this one...we shall see....Have a fab weekend mate  

Thanks Matt, I enjoy your posts too and yes, I hope I'm (very) wrong on this!  I will certainly be the first to praise you if you are correct!  Have a great weekend also  

• Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Don said:

I've described this winter as very similar to winter 08-09 which also had a SSW in early January. Alas just like this winter it was episodic. It started colder than this winter, but this one also brought a cold first 10 days, much milder weather in the run up to Christmas, this winter the same, cold conditions last week Dec, first week Jan, ditto same as this year, a generally average second half some milder weather at times, same as this year, cold first half to Feb 09, difference this year the cold was shorter lived, then a very mild but wet second half, this Feb looks very mild second half but drier.. 

Let's hope next winter follows on from winter 08-09 another 09-10 repeat when hopefully life is much closer to normal.. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I've described this winter as very similar to winter 08-09 which also had a SSW in early January. Alas just like this winter it was episodic. It started colder than this winter, but this one also brought a cold first 10 days, much milder weather in the run up to Christmas, this winter the same, cold conditions last week Dec, first week Jan, ditto same as this year, a generally average second half some milder weather at times, same as this year, cold first half to Feb 09, difference this year the cold was shorter lived, then a very mild but wet second half, this Feb looks very mild second half but drier.. 

Let's hope next winter follows on from winter 08-09 another 09-10 repeat when hopefully life is much closer to normal.. 

Yes, I definitely see similarities with 08/09 now (was comparing to 85/86 only a week ago!).  However, the reason for my frustration is due to the current cold spell failing to deliver much in the way snow for many areas (unlike early February 09).  If I had seen substantial snow amounts this week, I would have been less bothered about a milder second half.

However, hopefully like 08/09 this is a teaser winter and next year is properly cold and snowy, when like you say life is much closer to normal.  That might mean hot weather lovers have to make do with a mediocre/lacklustre summer this year though.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Here is the March outlook, It will be cold and mild, sunny and cloudy, dry and damp, windy and calm. Oh and the days will be getting longer which they are very confident about lol

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Here is the March outlook, It will be cold and mild, sunny and cloudy, dry and damp, windy and calm. Oh and the days will be getting longer which they are very confident about lol

They haven't mentioned any snow! 

• Like 1

Posted

Im awaiting the ..its more likely to snow in easter than xmas comments on the other thread...the met forecast of significant snow risk for the south reminds me of 2019 when every update from xmas to march hinted at an easterly until when temps hit the 20's they dropped it! Ok, bit of an exageration but they constantly followed the EC46 predictions of HLB which never happened.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Friday 19 Feb - Sunday 28 Feb

Friday will likely be unsettled with strong southwesterly winds bringing heavy rain to many western areas, and the chance of some light rainfall and mild temperatures nearly nationwide. Over the weekend a pattern develops that puts the UK into a broad northwest to southeast split, with the northwest more likely to see rainfall and strong winds at times, and the east and southeast more likely to remain drier, fine, and settled. Under these more settled conditions, we may see temperatures falling back to average, this especially so by night with an increased incidence of frost and fog. A return to widespread frosts but also an increased but very uncertain chance of snow are possible particularly in the North and East. Any snowfall most likely restricted to the Scottish mountains.

Sunday 28 Feb - Sunday 14 Mar

Into late February there is a signal for higher than average pressure to sit close to or over the UK, with likely drier and more settled conditions prevailing. Temperatures are likely to return back to around, if not below-average with a slightly greater chance of cold spells during this time, bringing an increased threat of widespread frost and a very uncertain chance of snow. Towards mid-March, there are signs of returning to a more unsettled period, with milder interludes more likely once more.