Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
16 minutes ago, iceman1991 said:

Looks like mid term downgraded to me even more and they’ve pushed cold to the very end which can’t member if  it was last year I think they kept pushing cold to the back all the time and nothing materialised in the end winter was gone sorry don’t mean to be like the grinch want cold and snow much as everyone eles here  really hope I’m wrong 

I agree. Where's the excitement coming from Exeter update alert. Chance of snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
16 minutes ago, MattStoke said:

‘Towardthe end of the month colder conditions become more probable, this bringing an increasing chance of snow’.

But winter is over on 1st January with the U.K. in the middle of a cold spell.

Some people are such a joke

This was the bit I was alluding too 

“By the middle of January conditions will probably begin to become a little less cold with the potential for periods of rain and strong winds.”

Winter  is far from over and we are in at least the game for some snow and potential exciting weather . I certainly have hope that it delivers and await the 12z runs with anticipation. I was just a little disappointed with the update from the met that’s all . Still all to play for . 

Edit - Apologies it does indeed say that later on my mistake , That part is indeed encouraging

Edited by Mark wheeler
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Things can and do change quickly

UK Outlook for Wednesday 10 Nov 2010 to Friday 19 Nov 2010:

Cold northerly winds will bring sunny spells with some showers on Wednesday, especially over eastern areas and probably turning wintry on hills in the north. Rain then spreads from the west later on Thursday with some hill snow possible in Scotland. During next weekend low pressure systems will move east bringing rain or showers, especially over northwestern UK, but with some drier and clearer spells between. The start of the following week is likely to see a brief interlude of drier weather before a return to rain and showers from the west. It will be generally windy throughout, especially as low pressure systems pass close to the UK. Temperatures start cold, especially in the north, and then recover to nearer normal later in the period, especially in the south.

UK Outlook for Friday 19 Nov 2010 to Sunday 28 Nov 2010:

Unsettled across southern parts of the UK to start, with outbreaks of rain and strong winds at times. More settled in the north, but with showers at times, these wintry over the hills. Into the new week northeasterly winds will become prevalent. This will lead to a downward trend in temperatures across the UK with overnight frosts becoming more frequent and northern parts in particular becoming cold. Showers are likely at times, particularly across northern and eastern parts. These will be wintry over high ground, especially in the north, with an increasing chance of some snow to lower levels too. Best of any drier and brighter weather likely across southern and western parts of the UK.

Updated: 1139 on Sun 14 Nov 2010

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Rain for lowland SE according to the Met still.

Are you referring to the text on metoffice website? That was written before 12z runs came out? 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, iceman1991 said:

Looks like mid term downgraded to me even more and they’ve pushed cold to the very end which can’t member if  it was last year I think they kept pushing cold to the back all the time and nothing materialised in the end winter was gone sorry don’t mean to be like the grinch want cold and snow much as everyone eles here  really hope I’m wrong 

But up until now, they haven't mentioned the chance of particularly cold conditions.  However, I agree it's a bit of a downgrade in the mid term.

Posted
1 hour ago, winterof79 said:

Things can and do change quickly

UK Outlook for Wednesday 10 Nov 2010 to Friday 19 Nov 2010:

Cold northerly winds will bring sunny spells with some showers on Wednesday, especially over eastern areas and probably turning wintry on hills in the north. Rain then spreads from the west later on Thursday with some hill snow possible in Scotland. During next weekend low pressure systems will move east bringing rain or showers, especially over northwestern UK, but with some drier and clearer spells between. The start of the following week is likely to see a brief interlude of drier weather before a return to rain and showers from the west. It will be generally windy throughout, especially as low pressure systems pass close to the UK. Temperatures start cold, especially in the north, and then recover to nearer normal later in the period, especially in the south.

UK Outlook for Friday 19 Nov 2010 to Sunday 28 Nov 2010:

Unsettled across southern parts of the UK to start, with outbreaks of rain and strong winds at times. More settled in the north, but with showers at times, these wintry over the hills. Into the new week northeasterly winds will become prevalent. This will lead to a downward trend in temperatures across the UK with overnight frosts becoming more frequent and northern parts in particular becoming cold. Showers are likely at times, particularly across northern and eastern parts. These will be wintry over high ground, especially in the north, with an increasing chance of some snow to lower levels too. Best of any drier and brighter weather likely across southern and western parts of the UK.

Updated: 1139 on Sun 14 Nov 2010

That had me very confused for a second! 

• Like 2

Posted

They know more than we do. I doubt we will have any significant snow before the middle of the month. I think it will the end of January beginning of February Happy New Year to one and all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WINTERS WITH HEAVY DISRUPTIVE SNOWFALL AVRAGE SPRING HOT SUMMERS.

ok folks hope all of you had a good newyears day. models may look all over the place for now i was getting a bit nervous nervous regarding some of the outputs. how ever i did really enjoy reading the extended update from the met office. here's what they say regarding mid and end of month. 

Friday 15 Jan - Friday 29 Jan  

During the middle of January unsettled conditions are likely to affect southern and central parts of the UK with drier weather expected for the north and west. Whilst generally remaining colder than average some milder interludes are possible in the south. Toward the end of the month colder conditions become more probable, this bringing an increasing chance of snow.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Fri 1 Jan 2021.

Posted
37 minutes ago, Don said:

But up until now, they haven't mentioned the chance of particularly cold conditions.  However, I agree it's a bit of a downgrade in the mid term.

They did said wintry hazards mid term now they’ve backed tracked away from it it’s ok always time for upgrades for mid term will see 

Posted
4 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Friday 15 Jan - Friday 29 Jan

During the middle of January unsettled conditions are likely to affect southern and central parts of the UK with drier weather expected for the north and west. Whilst generally remaining colder than average some milder interludes are possible in the south. Toward the end of the month colder conditions become more probable, this bringing an increasing chance of snow.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/

The bit I highlighted in bold is clearly the expected period for the SSW to take effect in the trop - so for now the wait goes on, but in between now and then lots of great model watching to be had.

4 hours ago, iceman1991 said:

2019 I think, ... they wrongly predicted easterlies from late January, and kept wrongly predicting them over and over again until early April.  Afterwards papers were dug out showing "it was the wrong type of SSW"... just poor science all round, that god it was the stratosphere and not a nuclear reactor.   Turned me into a hardened old cynic.

Posted

Todays update....well if nothing else, it does say there is a chance of a good sleep on Thursday...who puts these updates together and why dont they get them checked Before making live?! 

Edited by KTtom

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Thursday 7 Jan - Saturday 16 Jan

Areas of rain, sleep and snow make erratic southeast progress into Thursday, with wintry showers mostly affecting coastal districts in central and southern areas. Elsewhere is likely to be fine and dry with some sunny spells, though freezing fog patches may also be likely for some. For the rest of the week, conditions are likely to turn more widely unsettled with a mixture of rain, sleet and snow for many areas. Overnight frosts and icy stretches are also expected with temperatures below average. A chance that by the middle of January conditions may become a little less cold and unsettled for a time at least across the south, although wintry hazards are still possible in many areas.

Saturday 16 Jan - Saturday 30 Jan

Confidence is low during this time but more unsettled conditions may continue to affect at least southern and central parts of the UK, with drier and colder weather being retrained in the north. Whilst generally remaining colder than average some milder interludes are possible in the south. Later in the month an increased chance of colder conditions returning nationwide. Throughout there is a risk of snowfall and other wintry hazards.

Nice to see they check the updates before publishing

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

I said this would happen in the model thread this morning I can see the lows going further south than model show and like the last week or so just stay there just... its a thoight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
9 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

We could all do with a bit of sleep and the govt keep talking about retraining ......

Irony, its invisible. Angel of death take me now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

colder weather being retrained in the north.

Us northerners will do our best, knock the cold weather into shape for you before sending it on southwards. 

• Like 2

Posted

Updates issued to fix the errors highlighted above

Thursday 7 Jan - Saturday 16 Jan

Areas of rain, sleet and snow make erratic southeast progress into Thursday, with wintry showers mostly affecting coastal districts in central and southern areas. Elsewhere is likely to be fine and dry with some sunny spells, though freezing fog patches may also be likely for some. For the rest of the week, conditions are likely to turn more widely unsettled with a mixture of rain, sleet and snow for many areas. Overnight frosts and icy stretches are also expected with temperatures below average. A chance that by the middle of January conditions may become a little less cold and unsettled for a time at least across the south, although wintry hazards are still possible in many areas.

Confidence is low during this time but more unsettled conditions may continue to affect at least southern and central parts of the UK, with drier and colder weather being retained in the north. Whilst generally remaining colder than average some milder interludes are possible in the south. Later in the month an increased chance of colder conditions returning nationwide. Throughout there is a risk of snowfall and other wintry hazards.

Posted

Friday 8 Jan - Sunday 17 Jan

Some outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow are likely across central areas initially, with wintry showers also feeding in from the North Sea. Through Friday precipitation will be tending to decay in both of these regions, with cold, fine and dry conditions becoming more widespread. Over the weekend conditions across the country are likely to turn more unsettled with cloud and patchy rain spreading east and temperatures recovering to near average for many, by this time the risk of sleet and snow will most likely become confined to the north of the country. Through the following week rather cold conditions are most likely to re-establish nationwide, with northern and western areas continuing to see frosts.

Confidence is low during this time but more unsettled conditions may continue to affect at least southern and central parts of the UK, with drier and colder weather being retained in the north. Whilst generally remaining colder than average some milder interludes are possible in the south. Later in the month an increased chance of colder conditions returning nationwide. Throughout there is a risk of snowfall and other wintry hazards.