Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Meto Uk Further Outlook

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Actually was sat in Sainsburys reading those Meto Updates and then read the "Game Over", comment. Sorry but IMO, thought that was a way OTT, comment. I've been a member of this forum, since Jan.2005 and would like a £1 for every Meto update, I've read!! I've learnt in that time that the Met Office are very loathed to use the "S" word. They always seem to be very conservative, in that respect. I'm living in S.E.London, at a very modest elevation of 134 feet, not feeling at all perturbed by that update and not 600 feet up in the Pennines in West Yorkshire. If I lived there, I'd be more than happy with that update!!

Regards,

Tom.  :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

UK Outlook for Sunday 20 Jan 2019 to Tuesday 29 Jan 2019:

Sunday will be cold across the UK, but for many it will be dry; brightest in the southeast. Some light rain or sleet is possible in the southwest at first; then a band of rain, sleet and snow is likely to spread across the northwest later, moving erratically southeast. Overnight frost and freezing fog patches are likely overnight into Monday. Cold weather is likely to continue through mid-week, remaining unsettled and at times windy with fronts spreading southeast across the UK bringing rain, sleet and snow. Snow is most likely over north and eastern areas and over high ground. Similar cold conditions are likely to remain in place until the end of the period, interspersed with brighter showery spells, although these could also be wintry. Overnight frosts will remain likely.

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Snow mentioned plenty of times cold conditions used and wintry.....

What's not to like?

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

So this is what Exeter actually published

UK Outlook for Sunday 20 Jan 2019 to Tuesday 29 Jan 2019:

Sunday will be cold across the UK, but for many it will be dry; brightest in the southeast. Some light rain or sleet is possible in the southwest at first; then a band of rain, sleet and snow is likely to spread across the northwest later, moving erratically southeast. Overnight frost and freezing fog patches are likely overnight into Monday. Cold weather is likely to continue through mid-week, remaining unsettled and at times windy with fronts spreading southeast across the UK bringing rain, sleet and snow. Snow is most likely over north and eastern areas and over high ground. Similar cold conditions are likely to remain in place until the end of the period, interspersed with brighter showery spells, although these could also be wintry. Overnight frosts will remain likely.

What on earth do some of you expect over lowland UK. We are an island not sat somewhere in the middle of a frigid large land mass. Why not try to be realistic for once. How many times has the UK in the past 70 years (my life span) had country wide snow? On the fingers of one hand perhaps!

Comments on the 15-30 day outlook are, some of them, just as ridiculous, THINK, check the statistics then think again before some of you post.

I make no apology for letting fly. Along with the hunt for cold and the now model thread there is, from a few, the most bizarre comments and in my back yard boo hoo it's not going to snow.

Thos who post a measured thought into pretty much anywhere on Net Wx to do with weather are usually pilloried or get sarcastic comments or pm's.

This is a weather forum, we are all mad on the weather, not all about the same thing. Most on here have no meteorological training, no problem with that and some are incredibly aware of how the models and weather links work. Why not just enjoy all the weather links available to us on Net Wx and live and let live. Mind you this post is hardly that but after reading daily from late October some comments on here I felt it was time to offload.

Bye for now, please try and enjoy the weather.

Bulk standard UK Winter fayre John. That is what both Meto outlooks forecast. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS
1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I wonder if the EC46 will maintain its position on Thursday now, i suspect not with the blocking signal and longjevity, not unless GLOSEA has a sudden backtrack again.

But feb go to the tweets thread and there’s a tweet from Ian f and he was asked if glosea was now showing mild and the answer was no .

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Bulk standard UK Winter fayre John. That is what both Meto outlooks forecast. 

But it isn’t .........colder than average at the same time as unsettled is not standard winter fayre

te outlooks are both wintry ..... entropy remains high so making any strong predictions re weather types and regions affected is tough 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Who is this forecast actually written by is my question? You’re not telling me they sit round a table every day and have a big meeting deciding what to put into a forecast for 15 days away? 

This place drives me mad at times, it’s amazing how snow (or lack thereof) turns people into a psychotic mess, it’s the same in the model thread. Nightmare  

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

But it isn’t .........colder than average at the same time as unsettled is not standard winter fayre

te outlooks are both wintry ..... entropy remains high so making any strong predictions re weather types and regions affected is tough 

Of course it is. Mid-end January and a North Westerly is bringing snow showers in the North esp on hills and mountains, with possibly the same to the East as below average temps set in. Normal mid-Winter weather for UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW AND FREEZING TEMPS

These tweets get messed up and half the conversation is missed and then everyone starts throwing a wobbly. 

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

Of course it is. Mid-end January and a North Westerly is bringing snow showers in the North esp on hills and mountains, with possibly the same to the East as below average temps set in. Normal mid-Winter weather for UK.

Let’s revisit this in a few days .........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

I was about to say what @ICE COLD has just said. From what I’ve seen glosea hasn’t backtracked at all. It’s along the lines of what it was showing before. 

Edited by matt111
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, matt111 said:

I was about to say why @ICE COLD has just said. From what I’ve seen glosea hasn’t backtracked at all, it’s still showing what it was showing before. 

It’s just a tweet from yesterday that got taken out of context and someone started saying it so now it’s spread, stupidity is contagious! My biggest gripe is a lot of newbies or people who don’t really understand the models read this thread and will see some people’s reactions and assume the worst, and the vicious circle continues it’s not right. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

It’s just a tweet from yesterday that got taken out of context and someone started saying it so now it’s spread, stupidity is contagious! My biggest gripe is a lot of newbies or people who don’t really understand the models read this thread and will see some people’s reactions and assume the worst, and the vicious circle continues it’s not right. 

Yes I think I know which tweet you’re on about now and that was rubbished quite quickly last night. So why are people still hanging onto it? 

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Yes I think I know which tweet you’re on about now and that was rubbished quite quickly last night. So why are people still hanging onto it? 

Netweather Chinese whispers  

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

Netweather Chinese whispers  

Send reinforcements, cold's going to advance!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 hour ago, mountain shadow said:

If I lived in the South or South West of England I would certainly be thinking that it's game over for Winter in terms of decent snow spell. 

You don't, I do. Winter is not over for the south that is ridiculous! If we get an easterly, we could well be the only ones that benefit! 

1 hour ago, feb1991blizzard said:

its flipped, not necessarily to a mild outlook - but to a more average one.

Where have you seen this GloSea flip Feb..... or are you reading the MetO update and making that assumption....

2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GAME OVER!

just 16 hours ago it was BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!????????

Absolutely hilarious this thread and complete junk all at once..

Just to add, the Met Office give the 00z ECM operational a 25% chance of verifying, usually at that range it would be 5%..... But yup, winters over :whistling:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, sausage said:

yes north leeds 

Neeth lords?

• Like 1