Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Still No Bats!

Fozfoster

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

we have bats can see them flying around as it gets dark but no bat boxes so i dont know where they live :drunk:

Yes we have them flying around, its interesting to see them fly between two lamposts catching moths.

Posted

We've had more bats than ever this Summer. They also seem to be coming closer tot he house and their ariel acrobatics are very entertaining.

Posted

We have some large cattle sheds and now the lights are on for a while at dusk they are inside grabbing flies circling the lights.

Like swallows they seem to have had a good breeding year, flies were more numerous until recently than they've been the last few cooler and wetter summers.

Posted

Yep, the Swallows, Swifts and House Martins have been busy to, it must be an abundant crop of flying food this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

put up 2 bat boxes this time last year and no sign yet!!!!!

What type of boxes did you put up and where did you put them ?

Posted

They also seem to be coming closer tot he house and their ariel acrobatics are very entertaining.

Surely you mean 'to the house' :) Not seen many bats around here.

Posted

What type of boxes did you put up and where did you put them ?

hi GP, They are roosting/nest boxes,I have put them close together on the gable end of the house facing northwest.

Posted

we have bats can see them flying around as it gets dark but no bat boxes so i dont know where they live :pardon:

I don't know whether it applies where you are but they often live down old mine shafts. Many around here and this is an example of an old "bat castle". They are slightly more refined now.

post-12275-093315900 1284641620_thumb.jp

Edited by weather ship

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

We have loads of bats nearby and I enjoy watching them fly about. There's some tall trees, an abandoned college and a specially built bat house nearby so there's plenty of places for them to live.

I've not thought about putting up bat boxes, like I say, they seem to be thriving here so perhaps no need to but I'm thinking about some bird boxes ready for next year.

I also have a few foxes about and at the moment we have a badger that likes to cut through the garden. The power they have is incredible, it's managed to pull up paving stones and break a hole through the fence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Forecaster Centaurea Weather

hi GP, They are roosting/nest boxes,I have put them close together on the gable end of the house facing northwest.

If you can get a Schwegler box, 2F is fine for most species, locate them high up beneath the eaves or gable end on the south or south-east elevation of your house as this is where you will stand most chance of attracting bats during the activity season - even better if you've got some tall trees or shrubs for bats to emerge into nearby.

Posted

If you can get a Schwegler box, 2F is fine for most species, locate them high up beneath the eaves or gable end on the south or south-east elevation of your house as this is where you will stand most chance of attracting bats during the activity season - even better if you've got some tall trees or shrubs for bats to emerge into nearby.

I will try and get a Schwegler box and put it on south-east gable. cheers FF

We have loads of bats nearby and I enjoy watching them fly about. There's some tall trees, an abandoned college and a specially built bat house nearby so there's plenty of places for them to live.

I've not thought about putting up bat boxes, like I say, they seem to be thriving here so perhaps no need to but I'm thinking about some bird boxes ready for next year.

I also have a few foxes about and at the moment we have a badger that likes to cut through the garden. The power they have is incredible, it's managed to pull up paving stones and break a hole through the fence.

Hi, we have 3 or 4 bird boxes, different size boxes and holes and shape of hole will attract different birds. good luck.

Posted

If you can get a Schwinger box, F is fine for most species, locate them high up beneath the eaves or gable end on the south or south-east elevation of your house as this is where you will stand most chance of attracting bats during the activity season - even better if you've got some tall trees or shrubs for bats to emerge into nearby.

no joy finding a Schwinger bat box!! any ideas.

put up 2 bat boxes this time last year and no sign yet!!!!!

We've just moved away from our old flat and we used to see "BatFink" flying to and fro every night just after sunset. No bats at our new house, not that we have seen so far :whistling::(

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Thanks for that GP, an interesting looking bat box, also 1 or 2 ideas where to hang it. will keep you posted.

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

They've al gone off to hibernate around here. I haven't seen any now for a couple of weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

They've al gone off to hibernate around here. I haven't seen any now for a couple of weeks.

I hadn't seen any round here for weeks and then on Friday I caught one flying about at around 6 o'clock. I thought it was unusual at the time.

Edited by Jonathan F.