Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kiwi

The Pope's Visit

Apparently the cost of the Popes visit will be greatly outweighed by the moral benefits to the country!!? http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gIcVLCFQ0chBsTOPCwO_NDmVvwcQ

Surely its more a case that we should cancel the visit on moral grounds!

Add to this, our present dire financial position, and surely the money (estimated costs of £20million) could be far better spent elsewhere.

I reckon the Pope should stay at home....what do others think?

http://www.thepapalvisit.org.uk/

If the self professed leader of a religious group wishes to tour the country meeting his acolytes, then he can. But like Sun Myung Moon, he pays for it himself. And unlike Britain, the Vatican isn't exactly short of a few billion or three.

Shouldn't he be under police custody?

And which British law has he personally been convicted of breaking exactly ? I'm not in any way religious myself, but I do know that this visit will be of deep significance and great importance to many thousands of fellow British people so I for one am not going to denigrate and insult all those people by attacking something which they clearly hold so dear, even if I personally couldn't give a monkeys.

And with regards to the cost, should we also therefore ban any football matches which require a police presence ? I would suggest the cost to the UK taxpayer of one season of Premier League football will far outweigh this, and there's plenty of people in Britain who hate football...........

Not as much as they hate religion though.

My personal view:

Why do we hold one person so highly.....even the bible says we should not worship false idols, that includes Prime Ministers, Queens, Presidents, Popes, etc.

I ain't even religious and even I can understand the flaws in the majority of christianity and religion. I support :diablo:

:whistling:

The church paid for Pope John Paul II's visit, why should it be any different for this pope? The Vatican is just a pariah state invented by Mussolini anyway - why should we fork out that amount for a state visit for a dubious nation of such a small size? Should we really be paying for a former member of the Hitler Youth to come over and lecture us about our lack of morals for allowing women and homosexuals to have an equal place in society and tell us that using condoms causes AIDS?

And with regards to the cost, should we also therefore ban any football matches which require a police presence ? I would suggest the cost to the UK taxpayer of one season of Premier League football will far outweigh this, and there's plenty of people in Britain who hate football...........

Clubs pay for police attendence within grounds.

Shouldn't he be under police custody?

It's a State visit and therefore diplomatic immunity comes into play.

The Vatican is just a pariah state invented by Mussolini anyway - why should we fork out that amount for a state visit for a dubious nation of such a small size?

The position of Pope has been around a lot longer than the Vatican, he would have been given the same protection etc whether he was the head of state or whether it was a state visit or not or whether the Vatican existed or not. It would be extremely embarrassing to this country if something was to happen to the Pope.

The fact is the Pope is still a very popular figure amongst many Catholics around the world.

And if we are going to complain about costs, how much will President Obama's State Visit to the UK will cost? He has been invited on a State Visit and I can tell you it won't be cheap! I suspect we are getting the Pope cheap compared to Obama.

Not as much as they hate religion though.

My personal view:

Why do we hold one person so highly.....even the bible says we should not worship false idols, that includes Prime Ministers, Queens, Presidents, Popes, etc.

I ain't even religious and even I can understand the flaws in the majority of christianity and religion. I support :diablo:

:pardon:

I agree i thought you had to worship god and only god, when i asked my mum this she told me to shut up. lol. (i am not catholic she is.) Personally i think they are just money in the brain when you goto their church services they pass around a basket were people put in £5 notes! They must be raking in £500 every week, that is a disgracefull amount of money for a church to be getting.. omg imagine how much they get out of doing that in the whole world!?

The tax payer shouldn't pay for it the Vatican should. As for Moral grounds that's rather ironic.

The tax payer shouldn't pay for it the Vatican should. As for Moral grounds that's rather ironic.

I'm not religious and I'm not a Catholic and I know the controversies surrounding the Roman Catholic church but I feel I got to make this point.

There are State Visits every year to this country that cost the taxpayer money that hardly ever get mentioned.

How many knew that the King of Saudi Arabia was on a State Visit, a couple of years ago? How much did that cost? The Saudi King is not exactly broke and is not exactly controversy free.

And don't forget when the Queen goes on State Visits, it's the country she visiting that foots the bill.

In one way, I can see the resentment but I'm not sure why the Pope is being singled out. There have been far more controversial people that have come to this country on State visits but little fuss is made and every State visit costs the taxpayer money. How much money did Bush's State Visit cost in 2003?

Hirohito, the Emperor of Japan, was on a State Visit in 1971, just 26 years after WII, to this country. I think that is probably the most controversial State Visit of the last 60 years.

I remember the mass murderer Idi Amin coming on a state visit and meeting the queen. About 1971?

Personally, I couldn't care less if the old codger visits or not. But, whatever I think, his visit will bring happiness to a great many people...

Personally, I couldn't care less if the old codger visits or not. But, whatever I think, his visit will bring happiness to a great many people...

Not the victims of abuse in places like Ireland though....

And what's with this censoring of posts? I do know some people who were abused by priests, and it makes me angry that the higher-up's are getting away with their actions.

My take as someone who is not a fan of any organised relegion and a bit right wing is: He is a leader of State 'The Vatican' and is entitled to no lesser treatment than any other leader and should not be singled out. His visit will not make me feel any better but I suggest his visit will make a lot more people happier then a visit from Obama.

My child, I am a frequent visitor, but seldom post as I'm so very busy with meetings and my new Vatican City Saturday night TV show - Pope Star.

Current conditions at the Vatican; 18.1 degrees, 2 oktas of cloud and a light breeze.

Placido Domingo.

Cardinal Kasper now has the cheek to compare us to a third world country because he walked through Heathrow Airport and saw a lot of ethnic minorities. He's a stupid old bigot, as are the lot of them, and I don't see why would should pay for these anachronisms to come over here and tell us how immoral we are.

Cardinal Kasper now has the cheek to compare us to a third world country because he walked through Heathrow Airport and saw a lot of ethnic minorities. He's a stupid old bigot, as are the lot of them, and I don't see why would should pay for these anachronisms to come over here and tell us how immoral we are.

Got the link where he actually said that?? Good job he didn't travel on some of the roads in Sheffield he would thought it was a fourth world country. I haven't been through Heathrow but this guy thinks the Cardinal is right http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100053812/cardinal-is-right-britain-often-does-seem-like-a-third-world-country/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11317441

Says alot about the Vaticans modern liberal attitudes!! :diablo:

What next? before we know it they'll be recruiting the Hitler youth and paedophiles!

I'm sorry that link doesn't say anything about ethnic minorities and the comment he made about BA and the crucifix is right by the way.

Going back to Mr data's post yup Mr data you have a point.

I'm sorry that link doesn't say anything about ethnic minorities and the comment he made about BA and the crucifix is right by the way.

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said Cardinal Kasper's comments weren't intended to slight the United Kingdom, but simply reflected the cultural diversity instantly evident upon landing in the capital.

He intended to refer to "a cosmopolitan reality, a melting pot of ordinary humanity and all of its diversity and its problems," Lombardi added.

....thats ok then! :diablo:

My child, I am a frequent visitor, but seldom post as I'm so very busy with meetings and my new Vatican City Saturday night TV show - Pope Star.

Current conditions at the Vatican; 18.1 degrees, 2 oktas of cloud and a light breeze.

Placido Domingo.

Now thats FAR too funny :drunk:

Vatican spokesman the Rev. Federico Lombardi said Cardinal Kasper's comments weren't intended to slight the United Kingdom, but simply reflected the cultural diversity instantly evident upon landing in the capital.

He intended to refer to "a cosmopolitan reality, a melting pot of ordinary humanity and all of its diversity and its problems," Lombardi added.

....thats ok then! :drunk:

I think the non political correct version of that in Old fashioned English is:

THE PLACE IS FULL OF FOREIGNERS :pardon:

• Temperatures into heatwave territory and no rain

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions later this week and it's not the usual suspects. No rain as water levels decline and how are the evening skies for LanuchAmerica viewing? Watch the video here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather