• Mild and Wet
    • A Normal UK Winter
    • Mostly Mild With Cold Spells
    • Wet and Cold
    • Dry and Cold
    • Atlantic Winter
    • Dont Know

Posted

One thing is certain this year is very different to last year and again out of the norm from what we are used to? What does this mean? We don't know because we aren't acustomed or used to such patterns so early on. It could be exceptionally mild, it could be average who knows, Amser y ddegnys (time will only tell)

I agree. A colder-than-normal autumn could the subsequently disappoint us with a mild or normal UK winter. I'm hoping for a snowy winter and do have a feeling it'll be a repeat of last winter. But that's just a hunch and nothing else! That meteorology is an inexact science is both exhilarating and frustrating in equal measure!

Time will tell indeed. Amser y ddegnys in Welsh is lovely to see. In Irish we say that time is a good story-teller: Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir.

Edited by fear sneachta

Posted

I agree. A colder-than-normal autumn could the subsequently disappoint us with a mild or normal UK winter. I'm hoping for a snowy winter and do have a feeling it'll be a repeat of last winter. But that's just a hunch and nothing else! That meteorology is an inexact science is both exhilarating and frustrating in equal measure!

Time will tell indeed. Amser y ddegnys in Welsh is lovely to see. In Irish we say that time is a good story-teller: Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir.

Go maith :) Ta cupla focail gaeilge agam :) (I've a little Irish)

Funnily enough I was walking down blackpool pier (weekend away to a cousins of mine) and I asked this guy how to get to a certain point and he was irish so I spoke to him in Irish he was a proper Gaeligori he seemed amazed and as I walked off he said Diolch yn fawr (Go raibh maith agat, Thank you very much) to me I fought now that's a celtic conversation lol

Edited by adamjones416

• 2 weeks later...

Atlantic winter... I think we will have a Positive NAO and the only chance of cold through 1-2 day northerlys as low pressure clears through.

SNOW-MAN2006

Has anyone else noticed this

look the worst cold winters in uk notice anyting ?

1916-1917

1932-1933

1946-1947

1962-1963

1978-1979

1994-1995

2010-2011?

16 year gaps between them well i know 2009-10

was a cold one but what if the 2010-11 is the really cold one

this is strange

Cold winters usually come in groups, so it could be cold this winter. Also think of the 16 year cold winter pattern, 2011,1995,1979,1963,1947

WILL 2011 BE ANOTHER 63 OR 47 WINTER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Has anyone else noticed this

look the worst cold winters in uk notice anyting ?

1916-1917

1932-1933

1946-1947

1962-1963

1978-1979

1994-1995

2010-2011?

16 year gaps between them well i know 2009-10

was a cold one but what if the 2010-11 is the really cold one

this is strange

Cold winters usually come in groups, so it could be cold this winter. Also think of the 16 year cold winter pattern, 2011,1995,1979,1963,1947

WILL 2011 BE ANOTHER 63 OR 47 WINTER

1994-95 was a mild winter definetly not cold :drunk:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

how about 1987 record cold.

that is what i think this winter is going to be like for the uk.

87 surrey blizzards, for the south late winter snowstorms this time with battle of the cold and mild, for south uk more chance of channel lows, i would think some massive snowfalls for the south from these, snow showers from the north sea bringing falls to ea and se early winter i would say its worth stocking up on grit, thats how sure i am of this winter having an impact on the se.

Posted

1994-95 did have it`s cold outbreaks but you wouldn`t think so looking at this chart coldest day of that winter.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1995/Rrea00119950103.gif

Weather was certainly more interesting to what that shows.

March made up for that winter though,needs a smiley for snowy.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looking at the poll results I still think the question could easily be renamed, "Winter Prediction Poll 2010/11- Your Hopecast"!

Aye, 1994/95 was a good example of a mild winter followed by a wintry March, although I remember March 1995 for accumulations during snow showers that would then melt in the sunshine in between the showers, so you had to be quick if you wanted to build a snowman. Overall in my snow events analysis the 1994/95 season ranked slightly below the long-term average.

1995/96 was probably the cold snowy winter that was being suggested, although some parts of the northeast were both colder and snowier in 1993/94.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Yes spot on TWS alot of us are hopecasting ,but some are looking at data/models and things and some are doing both, who can tell by the poll though!

im learning all the way :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Factors present now:

-NAO in negative phase

-Low sunspot count

-Jet stream far to the south of uk

-Slow of the gulf stream

-Strong la nina

im quite certain of a severe cold winter to start earlier than last year, when the blocking sets up to bring in very cold air. the stalled pattern to continue for much of the winter. atlantic doors may open again at the end of winter (feb) bringing storms but huge frontal snow events as mild battles cold.

I think during november winter hits hard with december and january bitterly cold ,severe frosts and snowy, frozen lakes, from north to the south coast.

check the date i wrote this..