Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ZONE 51

Homeless And Unwanted

Why is it that people are just left on our streets with no home, Why is it people worldwide are living in boxes on streets?

People do care yes, but most cant do anything about it, their are small groups that set up to provide shelter and meals, and some homeless get into hostels, but its not enough, if it was'nt for those great people running the shelters (un-paid work) some homeless would not survive.

We need to build small cheap 1bed blocks of homes and get them off the streets.

Last winter was prolonged cold, did anyone see news/media coverage of the homeless? ' I did not see anything at all, some winters the news would show cups of soups or hot drinks handed out, are the homeless just an invisible part of society, because they have ended up unfortunate in life does it make them worthless, what they were and what they have become does it mean they have to be treated like trash? like a bin bag in a doorway thats 'just in the way'.

No it dont need to be like this, and the goverment needs to make it a priority to get them off the street.

I'm 100% agreeing with your thoughts, Nimbilus.

2010. And still some countries live in the caveman days.

But this can be discussed with those who can, but WON'T do anything about it. (Called MPs generally!)I could cause a storm here on Netweather (Hey I like that! - Storm on Netweather!! biggrin.gif ) with what I really think about society and the way it abuses the unfortunate indigenous probably through no fault of their own. Cardboard City anyone?

Phil.

There's a saying charity begins at home although they are some people that refuse to stay in shelter. There was one women in Sheffield despite being given home just went back on the streets. Isolated case but it shows you'll never get 100% homeless. There's also don't care in community people who have mental health problems who are just shoved out and left to defend for themselves which shouldn't happen but they never vote so who cares.

One reason - money (or at least no money where it's really needed). Until there is a radical redistribution of wealth in this country such things will always be the case, whether we have the best of intentions or not. Did you know that the top 1% of the UK population owns 23% of the country's wealth, and yet only contribute 14% to annual UK tax income, yet the bottom 30% owns just 3% and contributes 12% !!! How can that be in a so-called 'equal society' !!! (incidentally there is only one developed country with a worse inequality gap - the good old US of A..........)

For those interested, here's a good place to start:

http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/410872/web-poverty-report.pdf

It's going to get harder for people who are homeless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-11231112

Nomad are probably the biggest help for people on the streets around here. I worked for this charity when it was in it's early life. The people it helps are not people that want to be homeless. These are people that have lost confidence in life. Most of the people it helps are mid to late teen, who have wandered from pillar to post, with no focus in life. They help these people to be part of a community, help them to make friends and help them to find work and with that, they find their self worth. It's a fantastic charity. I've seen how they help to turn people's life around. It really would be a shame to see this just vanish through lack of government funding.

Yes, there are people that want to live their life in a homeless way but there are those who just need a hand and a kind word to help them out of their situation. They generally don't even know that the help is there.

There seem to me to be three types of homeless

1. those that accidently end up there due to monetary problems and such.

2. those that get into drugs crime and such, and cannot get out of it.

3. those that are able to live that way (and i swear to god, i sometimes envy the freedom they have) they may have massive hardships, but just look at their freedom? some of them must like it?

P.S. don't jump on me, these are only thoughts, not even well thought out opinions :whistling:

i agree with the scenario posted above..and unfortunately only those in category 1 would benefit from help and would welcome help.

For some their situation is such that taking them off the streets would only be temporary and they would end up there anyway through their lifestyle or choice.

Some fair comments, but i dont feel that some homeless that say they are ok really cant be during winter, when we are drawn into a dark unpleasant time in life, we say to everyone ,were fine its ok dont need any help, but its not true is it, deep down we would want things to be normal, back how they were, my point is a homeless person is in shock, cant believe what has become of them and blocks out everything, the longer their homeless the more it becomes life, but why should it?

Of course most would jump to help ,just so many worldwide dont get offered help their just left.

Part of the reason is that the last government presided over a real terms increase of residential real estate of over 200%.

If rents had risen by a similar amount, we would have several million people homeless by now.

That said there were plenty of homeless people around when property was cheaper, so there isn't necessarily a link between the two.

A more plausible reason is that as a society, we have a certain percentage of people who find life pretty much unmanageable. Prior to the 1980s, the solution was to class these people as 'mental' and lock them up for their own good thereby institutionalising them. Care in the community was essentially a good idea, because it did away with all that, however history tells us that the community did not care enough and government of the day did not intervene with a good enough safety net which led to the explosion of people sleeping rough in the late 80s and through the 90s.

Care in the community was a disaster and a simply cost cutting exercise where people would simply drop out of sight. Again another failed policy from the Tories which Labour failed deal with and the present Government is going to make worse. The labour Government even tried to extend the idea which hopefully the Tories will forget about. Care in community I've got first hand experience off by the way.

The house price boom and credit boom of the Tories didn't help and the failure of subsequent Governments since to deal with this issue won't help. There's a huge amount of potential first time buyers that cannot afford housing so again there's potential for a huge increase homeless people.

There's a huge amount of potential first time buyers that cannot afford housing so again there's potential for a huge increase homeless people.

how?..potential first time buyers will be employed with a steady regular income..dont see how they would end up homeless anymore than anyone else?

I do agree considering its 2010 I find it staggering the amount of people being homeless. What irritates me is when people refuse to give a homeless person any money because they believe this will be spent on booze or drugs. Now whilst this might be true, and even I would prefer to buy them food or drink, I see booze and drugs as a symptom of being homeless. If I was homeless I would probably turn to drink and drugs just to help me through the day. You also hear people moaning about homeless people having a dog as a pet, well again I would probably want some company.

Let me put it this way if I won the Lotto. After looking after my family and resolving my health problems I would spend the rest helping the homeless people in Peterborough. I would offer food and shelter and then try and find them a more permanant solution.

Let me also tell you what we as a family do every xmas. After having xmas dinner/tea, instead of throwing any waste in the bin we used to collect this food and take it in the car and give it to the homeless. One particular homeless person we used to give food to was a chap called Nobby. Now unfortunately he passed away a few yrs ago but we found out he used to be a teacher! Sadly poor Nobby suffered a mental breakdown due to mental illness and lost his home, job. The so called care in the community failed him which is why he remained homeless for the rest of his life.

I might have my problems as some of you know. However im always thankful that I was bought up in a loving home and have a very supporting family. Sadly this isn't the case for some people. So next time your out and you walk pass a homeless person, don't judge them and instead give them some money or even better offer them some food or drink. Even a coffee and a Sandwich would be most welcomed from these poor people.

Think about the winter being in a box or covered in newspapers un-washed in a street shop doorway or an alleyway ,getting bullied and laughed at with things thrown at you, its a scary thought.

Preventing people becoming homeless is the obvious answer, and in my books no one should be without shelter, with clean and healthy living conditions. Their are various reasons why some end up sleeping rough.

The house price boom and credit boom of the Tories didn't help and the failure of subsequent Governments since to deal with this issue won't help. There's a huge amount of potential first time buyers that cannot afford housing so again there's potential for a huge increase homeless people.

As i demonstrated on the house price thread, house prices in real terms fell between 1979 and 1997 (I'm not claiming it was by design - a higher inflationery environment, some sound policies and some very failed policies all contributed).

In any event, rents have risen pretty much in line with average earnings since 1979, so house prices are clearly not a factor when it comes to homelessness.

Care in the community was a disaster and a simply cost cutting exercise where people would simply drop out of sight. Again another failed policy from the Tories which Labour failed deal with and the present Government is going to make worse. The labour Government even tried to extend the idea which hopefully the Tories will forget about. Care in community I've got first hand experience off by the way.

So we should still class these people as insane and house them in asylums - not very progressive

The policy wasn't wrong - it just didnt work

As i demonstrated on the house price thread, house prices in real terms fell between 1979 and 1997 (I'm not claiming it was by design - a higher inflationery environment, some sound policies and some very failed policies all contributed).

In any event, rents have risen pretty much in line with average earnings since 1979, so house prices are clearly not a factor when it comes to homelessness.

So we should still class these people as insane and house them in asylums - not very progressive

The policy wasn't wrong - it just didnt work

Houses not a factor when it comes to homelessness. Nonesense of course it's a factor.

So you're saying that people who need medical help with there mental illness should be left to fend themselves??? Or in some cases ending up attacking people despite asking for help. Typical Tory. Like I said I've got first hand experience of don't care in the community.

The fact that any meaningful provision for council-rented (and hence not-for-profit) housing was anathema to Thatcher's 'There's no such thing as society' ethos might have played a part??

Houses not a factor when it comes to homelessness. Nonesense of course it's a factor.

Demonstrate to me a link between house prices and homelessness then.

So you're saying that people who need medical help with there mental illness should be left to fend themselves??? Or in some cases ending up attacking people despite asking for help. Typical Tory. Like I said I've got first hand experience of don't care in the community.

I would prefer it if you didn't make incorrect assumptions about my political allegences on the forum, thank you.

Very quick google http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3818595.stm okay out of date but still applies. Another one http://www.bournemouth.gov.uk/textonly/Residents/Quality_of_Life/Quality_of_life_report/DCTCrime/DCTC_Homelessness.asp

Another one http://www.poverty.org.uk/81/index.shtml note the use of affordable housing which again reflects that houses prices have an impact.

Oh if you don't want to be considered a Tory stop sounding like one. I notice you didn't answer my point about mental health people being deprived of help.

By the way house prices is only part of the problem.

Another link. http://www.homelessdirect.org.uk/policyandinfo/facts/causes

Part of the reason is that the last government presided over a real terms increase of residential real estate of over 200%.

so house prices are clearly not a factor when it comes to homelessness

Am I being thick....?

Am I being thick....?

as usual, yes

by only reading selective parts of the post. My paraphrasing could have been better though

So far its been mostly about the causes and please continue , and with some heated debates in here, but what can be done to prevent, and to help those already homeless?

Of course prevention is to tackle the cause.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather