Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

What Would You Do With 100Meg Broadband?

Just suppose for a minute that you lived in a village in the middle of nowhere which had just been awarded a grant and chosen by central government as a guinea pig for fibre to cabinet broadband, which will provide 100meg broadband. Purely hypothetical, of course. What would you actually do with all this bandwidth, as I find 5meg each way broadband perfectly adequate for iplayer, gaming, etc etc.

Why would you want a TV with more than 3 channels?..why have a remote control or colour for that matter?

Just suppose for a minute that you lived in a village in the middle of nowhere which had just been awarded a grant and chosen by central government as a guinea pig for fibre to cabinet broadband, which will provide 100meg broadband. Purely hypothetical, of course. What would you actually do with all this bandwidth, as I find 5meg each way broadband perfectly adequate for iplayer, gaming, etc etc.

what would do?....get my business head on, and fleece the villagers, by offering 100 villagers, 1mb connection each at a tenner a month....kerching!....a grand a month in my pocket for doing bugger all....lol

Good question OON.

Britons are not ensuring they get value for money in terms of their broadband speeds, according to new research published yesterday (September 7th).

Mobile operator O2 conducted a survey of 2,000 consumers and found that the average internet user pays for a deal which offers them a speed of up to 20Mbps per month.

However, the majority of individuals only use their broadband connections for tasks such as web browsing, social networking and managing emails.

These activities can be comfortably accomplished with an 8Mbps package, leading O2 to suggest that Britons are wasting more than £700m every year on under-used connection speeds.

http://www.compareandsave.com/news/britons-overpaying-on-broadband-speeds/

with unlimited usage? id download the entire worlds movies and games!!!!!!! >:unsure: !!!

I think that there's a need for that sort of speed but not all the time. Video on demand is a good example if you're going 1080 hi def. Online gaming is needing more and more bandwidth as time moves on due to the demand for higher definition. Music downloads.... At that sort of speed, getting an album would take about 5 seconds. It's all about saving time (like life isn't moving too fast as it is?).

At the end of the day though, if the web site you're using only has a 1 meg uplink, you're only going to get 1 meg download speeds from it tops. I certainly think that its a bit OTT for general use but who knows what the next big thing is going to be? Super high definition 3D transmission to a pin sharp laser projector?

Misleading...100Mbps is not megabytes, its megabits....8x less than what you actually are thinking. So when they advertise 20Mbps, its actually 2.5MBps, thats upload and download, probably averaging 2MB download and 500kB upload. So technically most people won't know the difference between Bytes and Bits and so they are misleading people.

Misleading...100Mbps is not megabytes, its megabits....8x less than what you actually are thinking. So when they advertise 20Mbps, its actually 2.5MBps, thats upload and download, probably averaging 2MB download and 500kB upload. So technically most people won't know the difference between Bytes and Bits and so they are misleading people.

True.. But most people won't look at it either way. All they know is that 20 meg should be faster than 2 meg whichever way you look at it....

When I used to run the village broadband and ran tests, we used to get download speeds of about 900, which equated to about 6 mega something...I can never remember which way round this is. Anyway, what we're getting...according to the university who are sorting this, is 100mbits...both ways. I suppose it will be future-proof at least?

I've got a few movies I'd like to download, via a proxy server....perhaps.

Well that would be a dream cause i cant even get 1mb here :) its so bad.

according to the university who are sorting this, is 100mbits...both ways. I suppose it will be future-proof at least?

Both ways? WOW!! I don't think anyone would complain about lack of internet services at that speed. If you had your own server, you wouldn't notice much difference between hosting your own at home and some of the pro hosting stuff..

It won't work....probably. Apparently they're linking into the big thing that goes up the M6 and then upgrading the fibre link between the village and somewhere, and then doing something and there we go. We're a "Big Society" experiment.

:clap:Im on BT infinity and get sometimes up to 45meg thats enough 4 me

download songs in like 5seconds if that, movies in 3 mins its just fast fast fast:D

Video on demand and live streaming but even you need more than 100mb for reliable streaming.

The other problem which a lot of people are already getting caught out with is the router.

Most home routers can't pass more than 20 meg through the firewall. I know of only one of the top of my head which allows 120 mb or 100 mb and that's the Draytek 2920 series. A nice dual wan router.

I'd be surprised you'll be getting 100mb full duplex but if you do enjoy it.

Both ways? WOW!! I don't think anyone would complain about lack of internet services at that speed. If you had your own server, you wouldn't notice much difference between hosting your own at home and some of the pro hosting stuff..

No doubt the providers will think of this and there will restrictions on the amount of traffic you can have.

That's a point - I'd never thought about routers.

We've got a meeting about this tomorrow night, but we've already got a grant for for upgrading our current wireless system to 5ghz, and then the next phase of upgrading to the full fibre-optic system will kick in. The funding includes all the equipment necessary for current subscribers.

We have a new MP who's a tory high-flyer and wanting to get some brownie points in this big society nonsense. If it comes off though. I'll not complain.

No doubt the providers will think of this and there will restrictions on the amount of traffic you can have.

I love your glass half full outlook on life.

The providers will be Lancaster University and they're behind all this, so I think they might just let us get on with it. Right now, we lease an 8meg symmetrical fibre link off them, but only pay for 2meg. However, they always let us have full bandwidth. You could be right though...they might limit us to just 20meg upload.

That's a point - I'd never thought about routers.

We've got a meeting about this tomorrow night, but we've already got a grant for for upgrading our current wireless system to 5ghz, and then the next phase of upgrading to the full fibre-optic system will kick in. The funding includes all the equipment necessary for current subscribers.

We have a new MP who's a tory high-flyer and wanting to get some brownie points in this big society nonsense. If it comes off though. I'll not complain.

I love your glass half full outlook on life.

The providers will be Lancaster University and they're behind all this, so I think they might just let us get on with it. Right now, we lease an 8meg symmetrical fibre link off them, but only pay for 2meg. However, they always let us have full bandwidth. You could be right though...they might limit us to just 20meg upload.

It's not a glass half full approach imagine lots of people with servers generating loads of bandwidth use plus there own download usage.

In Jan 2010 I used 9.19 gigs of bandwidth on my website and that's with the stats not working properly. So call it ten and say I use a gig a month so that's 11 gigs of data. Providers ain't going to be happy.

Ok. but there are 50 houses in the village, of whom only 75% will be subscribers, and of those, fewer than 20% would ever be anything approaching heavy users. In any case, we don't really have a "provider".

You could be right, but normal rules don't really apply here.

In your case everyone running a web server won't apply. But when this sort of thing gets more widespread people running their own server would be a problem.

I'm not what I'd be able to do with that much BB?

We have around 7-10 atm and that is more than enough.

The only time I'd need more is if I were downloading films or music, but I don't do that alot either.

I think as long as Lancaster University are behind it and it remains small-scale it shouldn't be a problem. It will be interesting to see how the trials of it work out.

Unfortunately I cannot see this becoming established widely, for it will most likely be deemed necessary to restrict traffic as an antipiracy measure, for high speeds make it a lot easier to download and stream things illegally on a larger scale. True, there are many legal uses for downloading and streaming, but there are also many legal uses for recording sound off your PC, yet it was deemed necessary for Microsoft to disable such sound recording in Vista + Windows 7 to prevent "casual copying" of DRM-protected media. (Then, of course, the ISPs can charge extra money for higher speed internet servers, using piracy as the official reason but with the real reason being to increase profits.)

Personally I have doubts that I would make much use of 100Mb broadband, though it would come in very useful when the ISP encountered problems- think about it, if you've got a 5Mb connection and it drops to 20% of normal rate, you only have a 1Mb connection and it becomes troublesome. Conversely, a reduction from 100Mb to 20Mb because of ISP problems would not affect many people.

We had the meeting last night, and there are a few ifs and buts, but it appears that there are going to be three phases to this:-

Phase 1, which is happening now, is an upgrade of the existing 2.4GHz wireless mesh network to a 5GHz network, which will allow more people in the village to make use of the 8Mbps symmetrical backhaul.

Phase 2, CLEO (Cumbria and Lancashire Education Online) unrestricting the fibre optic line into the village and providing 100Mbps symmetrical backhaul, which will then be fed directly by fibre to each wireless node in the village. Because of the limitations of a 5GHz wireless network, this will "only" provide 50Mbps to each home.

Phase 3, providing true fibre to home 100Mbps connections for all those that want it (paid for by the household itself)

Apparently, this is all coming about because our new MP wants to use the village as an exemplar for any rural community which has a school (because this means it will have a decent internet backhaul) to provide its own, state of the art solution. We already have the fibre optic link, the wireless network and an understanding of how a community broadband project should work. Eventually, it could be that any village could provide its own backhaul, but that is VERY expensive to fund without official help. 100Mbps would also prove cripplingly expensive at commercial rates, but in terms of capital costs, providing 100Mbps doesn't cost any more than providing 2Mbps, so CLEO have agreed to provide the higher speed for the price of a 2Mbps. That's the benefit of having a public body as your ISP, rather than BT or Virgin.

I would run servers and maybe web hosting if its a sync 100/100

Upgrading to 50 here soon but tbh I think I am getting that only cause I can hehe

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather