Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mondy

Burning The Koran

So, what's the big deal?

Islamic fundamentalists have never burned the Bible before? Or have never burned people? Or have never burned the flag of the US, UK etc?

i know its not like its a mosque or a life there burning its a book... its a book! get over it already and yet the president will allow a mosque to be built near ground zero! hmmmmmmmmmmm i think they have there heads screwed on the wrong way!

So, what's the big deal?

Islamic fundamentalists have never burned the Bible before? Or have never burned people? Or have never burned the flag of the US, UK etc?

I think the deal is Mondy that that idiot could land up causing an international incident! I think soldiers out there are having a hard enough time already and could seriously do without this. Islamic fundamentalists are what they are and always will be. Doesn't mean we have to bring ourselves down to their level tho'. I hope this guy changes his mind.

So, what's the big deal?

Didn't the German-Jewish poet, Heinrich Heine, declare: "Wherever books are burned, human beings are destined to be burned too."

100 years later came Hitler and the big bonfire of 20,000 books.

when you start burning books all hope for reasoned arguement is gone..they next step is burning buildings and people to ignore or condone it is dangerous..i dont understand why the media didnt just ignore this as a non event instead of fanning the flames of hatred and religious bigotry.

Religon is the cause of more death and destrcution in the world and always has been..it is just a means of the few to control the masses to do their bidding..people are so stupid and gulable its unreal.

The Media really seem to be fanning the (potential)flames.

What's the big deal?? ...nothing new its been done before....and that all ended quietly...didn't it???

when you start burning books all hope for reasoned arguement is gone..they next step is burning buildings and people to ignore or condone it is dangerous..i dont understand why the media didnt just ignore this as a non event instead of fanning the flames of hatred and religious bigotry.

Religon is the cause of more death and destrcution in the world and always has been..it is just a means of the few to control the masses to do their bidding..people are so stupid and gulable its unreal.

I was going to post, but after reading this I don't really need to! Agree 100%.

I think above all it makes that silly minister look like some sort of gormless ape!

Why bother, it's not the Koran's fault that those muslims commited those atrocities, the abiding principles of all religious books is "thou shalt not kill"?

I think above all it makes that silly minister look like some sort of gormless ape!

Why bother, it's not the Koran's fault that those muslims commited those atrocities, the abiding principles of all religious books is "thou shalt not kill"?

I am sure more then 50 copies of the Bible are burnt everyday.

The Koran and its a 100 death threats and Im afraid many will die from it.

I don't agree with what he is going to do but it makes you wonder

I am sure more then 50 copies of the Bible are burnt everyday.

The Koran and its a 100 death threats and Im afraid many will die from it.

I don't agree with what he is going to do but it makes you wonder

The threats don't come form the Koran, it comes from a very small number of gormless idiots with not enough brain cells to rub together to ignite their independant thoughts.

So there'll be more terrorism, but nothing we haven't become used to over the last 30 odd years.

I do feel sorry for the majority of people on both sides who have to put up with all this ridiculous tit-for-tat violence, WE'D rather just get on with living peacefully, I learned alot from the past and personally plan not to repete the bad bits, shame they don't (can't...too stupid) understand that!

Like these silly sods in palastine and israel who shout "revenge revenge" everytime someone gets killed...how stupid is that?

Is Islam a religion of peace? Is the Koran a peaceful reading book?

No rationally thinking and mentally healthy human being would ever kill a fellow human, no matter what a book says.

The threats don't come form the Koran, it comes from a very small number of gormless idiots with not enough brain cells to rub together to ignite their independant thoughts.

I wish it was a small number say 10,000 or 20,000. I'm afraid it will be millions and world wide hate of the west in the Muslim world. Watch the Embassies of the West burn in such countries over the weekend :unsure:

News just in, the event has been cancelled

Trouble is it will have been all over the news in the muslim world by now and you can bet your life there'll be hundreds of rednecks burning Korans and posting the videos on youtube an such.

Too little too late!

The media should be ashamed of it'self too for the shear amount of airtime and fuss, god help us!!

(funnily enough it's the same god in the Koran and Bible isn't it? they just don't believe the Jesus bit)

oh look! it's started! :unsure:

Funny, I thought it was well known that the media virtually run the world now.

Well, this is my third attempt to post this due to various faliures and as such some of the anger in the original post has abated somewhat, as i can't be bothered to write three paragraphs on the subject anymore.

The culture in the middle east makes any rational and resoned debate or criticism of Islam impossible. The things taught in Islam state anything that is deemed disrespectful can be met with violence or indeed worse. The amount of times i've seen reports about people in the middle east calling for someone to be killed over what we would deem an utterly insignificant remark is disturbingly frequent. I have trouble believing that Islam is a religion of peace and it is utterly intolerant of those who would question thier beliefs. The abrahamic religions in general seem to me to be extremely hypcritcal in their fundamentalist forms, declaring themselves to be followers of a benevolent and loving god while calling for the victimisation or death of so many groups of people. I wish i could say that the fundamentalists have misinterpreted the texts but sadly they seem to have followed it to the letter. The damage Christianty has done to European and American culture is still evident today; none of the previous pagan religions exist in any significant form due to Christianity's evangelism and we are only just recovering from their misogynistic and anti-homosexual views. I fear the same may happen in Asia with the rise of Islam, and we may lose vibrant and peaceful religions like Hinduism and Buddism as a result.

Burning the Koran will only serve to inflame and encourage the sort of violence i have mentioned, and anyone with an ounce of understanding regarding politics will see it is far from their best interests to do this. If extremist muslims choose to commit terrorism against us as a result of some selfish and petty attack, then they will not be the ones who suffer, it will be moderate muslims who will be wrongly associated with the kind of extremism we see in the middle east, and if we allow anti-muslim sentiment to grow then we will be responsible for encouraging the radicalisation of peaceful and moderate muslims, the very ones we need to confront the extremists. Sadly, the majority of people who follow the abrahamic religions are tolerant and peaceful and have no wish to force their views on others, but the power will always stay in the hands of the fundamentalists.

So, what's the big deal?

Stupidity lies on both sides, but the idiot who is planning this should be locked up in a loony bin. If people in the "west" are going to take the moral high ground then they can't allow this to happen.

I have to agree in part with you Mondy, the burning will be of what are simply bits of paper with ink printed on them. Far less an issue than burning someone at the stake (as if Christians have never done that). There seem to be many Muslims in far flung corners of the world who can protest excessively about the most minor of issues. There are also far more Muslims who won't even be aware of this and won't really care either way. There may be "protests all round the world" according to the news channels, the reality will be that almost all Muslims will carry on as if nothing has happened. This is newpaper/channel hype at its worst.

It is pretty pathetic all round, if my six year old son came up with an idea like this I would laugh at him until he saw sense. Grow up one and all!!!

And all this is brought about, by someone, who believes in a book, that over the centuries has caused more blood to be shed than enough...

From what I understand of the Koran, it is a peaceful book, as is the Bible. That is until some idiot decides it means something totally different to how the majority understand it...

God help us if it did go ahead looking at these pix: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11251850 :)

I think those pictures are just the point, there seems to be a faction of the Muslim world (note faction not all) that sits with a bunch of flags and effigies and a box of matches in anticipation of his next burning event. Whether its for some cartoon or Jade Goodie, Blair, Bush they just seem to have some sort of cultural pyromania and just can't help setting things alight. I see it as a bit of ironic black humour rather then anything else to be honest. If burning any book puts lives at risk then those who threaten should be taken out out of society by the good people on this planet, and you don't need to belong to no religion to be good you just have to act good. A scum bag is a scum bag no matter whose flag he is flying!

I there seems to be a faction of the Muslim world (note faction not all) that sits with a bunch of flags and effigies and a box of matches in anticipation of his next burning event. Whether its for some cartoon or Jade Goodie, Blair, Bush they just seem to have some sort of cultural pyromania and just can't help setting things alight.

How true is that!

And all this is brought about, by someone, who believes in a book, that over the centuries has caused more blood to be shed than enough...

From what I understand of the Koran, it is a peaceful book, as is the Bible. That is until some idiot decides it means something totally different to how the majority understand it...

I haven't read the Koran but the Bible is not a peaceful book, holy christ!! It is full of war and death and pestilence and destruction and famine and people running from oppression and a whole load of other negative rubbish! If that is a peaceful book then seriously, god help us all!!!!!