Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Winter 2010/2011

Bottesford

Posted

Ah yes, that would be West Derbyshire rather than the West Midlands, which are quite a distance away. It got far, far worse after christmas too! Drifts of up to 10 feet at 500m on the Cat & Fiddle road was perhaps the most impressive feature. I couldn't believe those heights/depths myself till i actually saw them. The actual depths weren't really measurable because they were so inconsistent but i'd be surprised if they were less than a foot at any point between new year's eve and mid January.

Its no surprise about the Cat and Fiddle its a bleak place. We are not many miles from there, but while we saw some heavy falls in Whaley there was no drifting last year. That really shows what a difference the extra elevation makes. You really notice how the strength of the wind increases if you drive up the A6 from Whaley to Buxton, once you get to Dove Holes, you really start to feel it increasing, so while here in Whaley it can be quite calm, by the time you get to Buxton its blowing a hooley, yet its only 8 miles. The grail for me this year is can we get drifting snow at low levels. Something I’ve personally not seen since 1987 in Norfolk, and those drifts came nowhere near those of 1979.

Posted

Its no surprise about the Cat and Fiddle its a bleak place. We are not many miles from there, but while we saw some heavy falls in Whaley there was no drifting last year. That really shows what a difference the extra elevation makes. You really notice how the strength of the wind increases if you drive up the A6 from Whaley to Buxton, once you get to Dove Holes, you really start to feel it increasing, so while here in Whaley it can be quite calm, by the time you get to Buxton its blowing a hooley, yet its only 8 miles. The grail for me this year is can we get drifting snow at low levels. Something I’ve personally not seen since 1987 in Norfolk, and those drifts came nowhere near those of 1979.

whaley bridge ,is that near staley bridge,my faily come from there.mY GRANDAD SAID THE WINTERS UP THERE IN HIS DAY WERE TRULY HARSH,MOUNTAINS OF SNOW,TERRIBLE DRIFTING.aPPARENTLY WHEN MY UNCLE WAS BORN ,IT WAS IN THEIR HOUSE because THEY WERE TRAPPED BECAUSE OF A BLIZZARD.AFTERWARDS THEY HAD TO GET OUT USING THE BEDROOM WINDOW BECAUSE OF SNOW DRIFTS BLOCKING THE DOWNSTAIRS.sorry about the caps ,i have just looked up and realised

Posted

whaley bridge ,is that near staley bridge,my faily come from there.mY GRANDAD SAID THE WINTERS UP THERE IN HIS DAY WERE TRULY HARSH,MOUNTAINS OF SNOW,TERRIBLE DRIFTING.aPPARENTLY WHEN MY UNCLE WAS BORN ,IT WAS IN THEIR HOUSE because THEY WERE TRAPPED BECAUSE OF A BLIZZARD.AFTERWARDS THEY HAD TO GET OUT USING THE BEDROOM WINDOW BECAUSE OF SNOW DRIFTS BLOCKING THE DOWNSTAIRS.sorry about the caps ,i have just looked up and realised

Never mind, I'm not a local as you may guess, I hale from Norfolk. Interestingly I was chatting to a old boy from Hayfield (which is also close to here) last year, he was telling me about the night he came home on leave from the army in 1947 and walked from Stockport to his parents house in Hayfield and how the snow was drifted up to the first floor windows. Hayfield lays at the eastern foot of kinder Scout, at 600 metres its the highest peak in the peak district.

Posted

I love hearing about last winter's snow (or lack of it!!) and I wonder whether the mods would consider opening up a nostalgia winter thread so we can concentrate on this winter in this thread. Both threads would be equally appreciated I think.

c

Great idea chiono-last winter gave so many of us the longest run of snow cover for quite a few years and it would be nice to see a bit more nostalgia rearing its head.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Snow charts anyone?

post-8968-092477900 1286491181_thumb.png

First FI glimpses of snow since early spring. I'm starting to think this "White Halloween" bet might be worthwhile now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Excellent! You may like this.

Thanks-just written all dates down and winter severity(good old pencil n paper)im doing some calculations of these dates, il have the results later, not using any other data records of these dates, just number patterns.

Edited by nimbilus