Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Christmas 2010

Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Hey all, it's months away yet, but here's what TWO think Christmas 2010 will be like at this stage. To be honest, I can't wait for winter, so here goes!

Christmas 2010: Cold and wet

Christmas weather forecast introduction

Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2010 weather forecast page. This will update regularly during the run up to Christmas from September 1st and will take into account the weather patterns which develop during the autumn.

Forecast headline

Our first Christmas 2010 forecast is for rather unsettled weather to cover the UK on Christmas day, with showers or longer spells of precipitation likely. Although we're expecting it to be chilly, most of the precipitation away from northern hills is expected to be rain. Over high ground in the north some sleet or snow is much more likely.

Probabilities of snow falling on Christmas Day

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15% - 30% (risk increases to 30% further north)

South of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 5% - 15% (risk increases to 15% further north)

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2010

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Welcome to our dedicated Christmas 2010 weather forecast page. This will update regularly during the run up to Christmas from September 1st and will take into account the weather patterns which develop during the autumn.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2010

Is this the official net weather forcast for Christmas or just your own guess ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

I think there taking the safe betting here, cold and wet is usually the default weather for the Uk, during the Xmas period!! :) :lol: :good:

I can confidently predict that on Christmas Eve it will be dark. On Christmas day there will be just a few hours of daylight with a likelihood that this could be gloomy, though very likely balanced by a goodly intake of rich food, wines beers and spirits. :good::)

Posted

Just the feeling of waking up to a crisp morning, the cold air hits your face, and you walk the dog and hear the grass crunching under your feet.

If it was up to me - My Christmas GUESS at this stage would be sunny but bitterly cold.

Posted

I can confidently predict that on Christmas Eve it will be dark. On Christmas day there will be just a few hours of daylight with a likelihood that this could be gloomy, though very likely balanced by a goodly intake of rich food, wines beers and spirits. :lol: :good:

cor that joke is made on a yearly basis! :)

Posted

Just the feeling of waking up to a crisp morning, the cold air hits your face, and you walk the dog and hear the grass crunching under your feet.

If it was up to me - My Christmas GUESS at this stage would be sunny but bitterly cold.

That would be a perfect day :lol:

By the way. Didn't you complain about the winter thread being open? I seem to remember you saying it it should be closed as its impossible to predict that far head due to it being way to early, yet you have opened a thread predicting one day 4 months in advance :good::)

Posted

That would be a perfect day :lol:

By the way. Didn't you complain about the winter thread being open? I seem to remember you saying it it should be closed as its impossible to predict that far head due to it being way to early, yet you have opened a thread predicting one day 4 months in advance :good::)

Yeah, but that was because I was getting fed up of all the mild rampers writing off winter before it even started - This is just for some fun, getting us into the mood before we see our first 'cold' Northerly of the season. It's working with me, I for one can't wait for the first day that what I described happens. :)

Posted

Yeah, but that was because I was getting fed up of all the mild rampers writing off winter before it even started - This is just for some fun, getting us into the mood before we see our first 'cold' Northerly of the season. It's working with me, I for one can't wait for the first day that what I described happens. :)

Same here :good: I seem to remember there being snow on the ground last Christmas day. Not a lot though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I can confidently predict that on Christmas Eve it will be dark. On Christmas day there will be just a few hours of daylight with a likelihood that this could be gloomy, though very likely balanced by a goodly intake of rich food, wines beers and spirits. :lol: :)

I predict increased Aeolian Sounds on christmas eve.

No chance of any Bai-u, Plum Rains, or Mold Rains in the UK that’s for sure.

Blustery and Tousie winds for Scotland.

Its clear the Chionophile plants will prefer this winter and Chionophobe plants will hate it. I hope so anyway.

Comma Cloud will pass over late xmas EVE as a strong storm approaches.

I can see Frazil Ice or lolly ice forming in fast flowing rivers.

Could lead to some Freshet or Coulee get your sand bags ready re the storms.

I hope for some ICE Shove situations along sea coast

Christmas day brings a Mesoscale Convective System over the South east.

So much snow will fall be careful of Niphablepsia .

If you draw a Stuve Diagram every 12hrs as recommended you will see a continued drop in temperature.

Anyway I can see Yowdendrift not just restricted to Scotland over the xmas period.:good:

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Forecast headline

Our first Christmas 2010 forecast is for rather unsettled weather to cover the UK on Christmas day, with showers or longer spells of precipitation likely. Although we're expecting it to be chilly, most of the precipitation away from northern hills is expected to be rain. Over high ground in the north some sleet or snow is much more likely.

North of Yorkshire / Lancashire: 15% - 30% (risk increases to 30% further north)

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2010

http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twoforecasts/Christmas%202010%20weather%20forecast.aspx

Posted

Same here :) I seem to remember there being snow on the ground last Christmas day. Not a lot though

There was just a bit of ice here, there was snow on Xmas day but we had a Westerly on Xmas eve which warmed it all up, leaving us with some melted slush that froze at night. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

aww c'mon Backtrack, be nice!.....This thread has traditionally been Stuart's baby :(

Posted

Same here :( I seem to remember there being snow on the ground last Christmas day. Not a lot though

I seem to remember there being some snow flurries on the day itself as close by as Nottinghamshire. It was painful watching the radar with it being so close but I don't think it quite reached here. They were very sporadic and localised.

Still it was the closest we've got to a White Christmas in a while with snow on the ground from previous falls.

Posted

aww c'mon Backtrack, be nice!.....This thread has traditionally been Stuart's baby :rofl:

I didn't know - sorry :wallbash:

cor that joke is made on a yearly basis! :wallbash:

Just goes to show that there must be some great minds thinking alike - I will go further to predict that temperatures should be about -18C but that will be inside my freezer!

Posted

been updated

Christmas 2010: Snow risk highest in north

Forecast headline

Our second Christmas 2010 forecast update brings no change. We continue to expect rather unsettled weather to cover the UK on Christmas day, with showers or longer spells of precipitation likely. Although we're expecting it to be chilly, most of the precipitation away from northern hills is expected to be rain. Over high ground in the north some sleet or snow is much more likely.

Forecast issued

Update 1, 01/09/2010

Update 2, 06/09/2010

http://www.theweathe...20forecast.aspx

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Lol, the usual tradition! Always have to laugh at how specific they try to be.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, snow in winter, wind in Autumn and rainbows in the spring!

It wouldnt surprise me to see widespead chaos on the big day personally, think a christmas like 1995 is very much on the cards,its beginning to look like the atlantic isnt going to wake up to the lion that was predicted, so bets on a very very cold christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I don't feel anyone is qualified to make a prediction with any kind of accuracy at this stage, but it's always fun to speculate on snowmaggedon, and being a SACRA member myself I have to say that the coming Christmas will be the coldest in history, with snow drifts of 50ft even ten miles out in the North Sea creating enough havoc to close all roads for three months after but not enough to stop the internet connection going:lol:

So the thread discussing possible weather patterns in the coming winter was closed because it's too far out too make predictions, and yet this thread is allowed when it is discussing where snow will fall more than 3 months away.