Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Motor Bikes

Just be listening too Look Leeds sorry Look North. Apparently the police in North Yorkshire are talking to Bikers in an effort to reduce accidents. Once again we had too listen to a Motorcyclist blaming Car drivers for all their accidents. This after yet another accident and death.

The sad accident details here http://www.morleyobserver.co.uk/news/Police-confirm-Morley-couple-killed.6506729.jp

My own experiences of Motorcyclists on the A614 or going to Hornsea is that many ride without due care or attention and depend on the speed of the bike to get them out of trouble. I had several overtake me this Monday where there was room for one bike too overtake me not several at once resulting in them cutting across one foot from my bumper. Now if the car in front of them which they were now tailgating had to slow down suddenly they would have been a nice sandwich. If that was a car doing it everyone would have said idiot.

The worst thing I've seen happening is Motorcyclists over taking when everyone is slowing down and stopping therefore they haven't anywhere really to get in safely. At least the last one that did to me said sorry.

I know what you mean, it tends to be sports bike riders although harley riders can be just as bad.

I used to be a little bit like that too a few years ago, wanting to get my knee down at every island and bouncing the needle off the redline.

But now I'm older and calmer, but there will always be plenty of idiot around to take over at the point where i grew up!

I know ride a Royal Enfield Bullet 500, and have had it now for over 3 years as I love it so much, it doesn't like to do any more than 65mph and the brakes are terrible but it teaches you how to ride a bike safely (and it does ner 100mpg nuff sed!)

I've been driven around plenty country lanes recently during my time off- I think the proportion of motorbikers who are reckless is even higher than with 17-19 year old male car drivers, particularly around those twisty country roads where they often tear around blind corners as if they are racing on the MotoGP (I do support a bit of fun in moderation, but I don't support anything that reaches or borders on recklessness). It is probably still a minority contingent- it always seems larger than it really is because the responsible road users are less readily noticed- but a pretty sizeable one. In France a much larger proportion of bikers seem to ride responsibly, which is ironic since the inverse is true of the car drivers there.

But on the other side of the coin it is so easy for drivers to miss a motorbike or fail to give motorbikes enough respect, especially with the large association with those racers giving bikers as a whole a bad name.

TBH, If its not the sports bikes that are causeing the most crashs, its the in-town bikers. They are looking out for cars and sometime not feeling the bike as much as you would on a country lane. So thats why we go out onto the fast open roads to get away from it all and have some fun. I've had several in-town crashs due to people on the phone and not noticeing me. So sometime its us sometimes its not. Also We go shooting round bends with our brakes on verry slightly and really we slow down and do the speed limit through the blinds if there not we do open it abit more. Also us sport bike owners have had other bikes leading up to our really wonderfull bikes. Also when you get on a new bike thats faster you dont realise the speed mainly due to you trying not to crash or finding the right set up. Sorry if this sounded like a rant but i think its not always our fault or the cars its just well a mestake that we make we claim for and so therefore i don't think bikers need a bad name :)

P,s i've riden alot of bikes :)

My rules for overtaking are spot a gap before even thinking of starting if there's a line. Check mirrors make sure it's clear and go without dawdling along unless there's miles of straight empty road. The A614 used to good for that but no longer as there a lot more traffic. Of course best laid plans go to waste if a) A noddy puts his or her foot down to close the gap between them and the vehicle in front. :) Someone else decides to overtake without checking the mirror. c) They pull out but forget to apply the gas

I once also took a Motorcyclists head off. He'd been to Silverstone and decided to do the racing line through the bends so his upper body was four feet on my side of the road. I watched his head pass my wing by an inch. I was doing 50 dunno what he was but since for me it was left bend I was close to left hand side which meant we missed. It was literally onions then he was gone so fast. I always wondered if he stopped soon after to get the brown stuff out of his leathers.

If we had collided how would I be able to prove that he was over my side of the road even the wheels of the bike weren't????

having lived on the edge of the Peak District for 40 years and within 5 to 15 miles of 5 of the most dangerous roads in England its sad to see so many Biker deaths

in this area. Matlock Bath which seems to be the biker capital of England attracts thousands every weekend, and i have personaly witnessed several bad bike crahes with at least 3 having fatalities. Such a shame becauce they all flock to this area for the great roads, but having to drive in the Peak District every day i know where all the bad bends and junctions are, most of the bikers who visit don't.

My rules for overtaking are spot a gap before even thinking of starting if there's a line. Check mirrors make sure it's clear and go without dawdling along unless there's miles of straight empty road. The A614 used to good for that but no longer as there a lot more traffic. Of course best laid plans go to waste if a) A noddy puts his or her foot down to close the gap between them and the vehicle in front. :) Someone else decides to overtake without checking the mirror. c) They pull out but forget to apply the gas

I once also took a Motorcyclists head off. He'd been to Silverstone and decided to do the racing line through the bends so his upper body was four feet on my side of the road. I watched his head pass my wing by an inch. I was doing 50 dunno what he was but since for me it was left bend I was close to left hand side which meant we missed. It was literally onions then he was gone so fast. I always wondered if he stopped soon after to get the brown stuff out of his leathers.

If we had collided how would I be able to prove that he was over my side of the road even the wheels of the bike weren't????

This is a classic example of a bikers mestake, although i have had to put my knee down once or come off so i do let them off :)

having lived on the edge of the Peak District for 40 years and within 5 to 15 miles of 5 of the most dangerous roads in England its sad to see so many Biker deaths

in this area. Matlock Bath which seems to be the biker capital of England attracts thousands every weekend, and i have personaly witnessed several bad bike crahes with at least 3 having fatalities. Such a shame becauce they all flock to this area for the great roads, but having to drive in the Peak District every day i know where all the bad bends and junctions are, most of the bikers who visit don't.

Back to the golden rule of don't drive fast down a road you don't know.

Very interesting news tonight. The Motor bikers who were riding with the couple that died have been arrested on suspicion of causing death by reckless driving. The car driver hasn't been arrested.

• Heatwave conditions possible to end May

Some parts of the UK could qualify for heatwave conditions during the final days of May. With temperatures widely into the 20s Celsius. Read more here

Jo Farrow
    Jo Farrow
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Dry, sunny and warm end to May but is there a pattern change on the horizon?

The already very dry May will end with more dry, sunny and warm weather across all of the UK. This theme continues into the first few days of June, but there could be a change on the way later next week. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather