Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted

I'm amazed how widespread the new snow has been since you posted the first image around the 1 September. Great watching it grow!

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I'm amazed how widespread the new snow has been since you posted the first image around the 1 September. Great watching it grow!

Wait till October- then you will see rapid growth from around weeks 40-44.

We are still a little below average for this time of year.

post-4523-078324700 1284105075_thumb.png

Here is the link to the weekly growth with historical data for comparison:

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_area.php?ui_set=0

c

Ps Keep up the good work ch - this will be a must see autumn thread - also could you put up the daily departures please?

Posted

10thsept20101.gif

Good news today!

we have 3 new patches, but what is most noticable is how far south and early the snows are in tibet/china and the himalayas.

The new Patch in China, what elevation are we talking about? I thought most of it was (relatively) low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

The new Patch in China, what elevation are we talking about? I thought most of it was (relatively) low

Much of western and central China is at a fairly high elevation. A lot of the south western China is connected to the Himalayas. Most of the areas with new snow cover is probably over 2,500m asl.

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Much of that patch is the Plateau of Tibet and is around 4000-5000m - so pretty high up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I'd like to see pack ice off the south coast of Iceland but I think my wait may be a tad longer than yours :p

Posted

I'd like to see pack ice off the south coast of Iceland but I think my wait may be a tad longer than yours :rolleyes:

When was the last time in known history for that to happen? And when was Greenland and Iceland last bridged? Was it the iceage? The mini-Iceage or?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I imagine back in the Little Ice Age; wouldn't it be amazing to see it though, even just once in a lifetime. I guess a girl can dream...

http://en.wikipedia..../Little_Ice_Age

For all you snow lovers out there, read about the details of winters back then:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=winthist;sess=

Posted

I imagine back in the Little Ice Age; wouldn't it be amazing to see it though, even just once in a lifetime. I guess a girl can dream...

http://en.wikipedia..../Little_Ice_Age

For all you snow lovers out there, read about the details of winters back then:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=other;type=winthist;sess=

It would indeed and if that did happen I think a lot of Global warming theorist would have to change they're opinions, for example Arctic ice is still decreasing although not so drastic as the last decade it seems to be leveling out and Antarctic ice is in fact growing quite substantially.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

When was the last time in known history for that to happen? And when was Greenland and Iceland last bridged? Was it the iceage? The mini-Iceage or?

Nope, the last time the ice (briefly) connected was the winter of 2005, its relatively normal provided you have anticyclonic northerlies in the area for a long period of time.

Posted

Nope, the last time the ice (briefly) connected was the winter of 2005, its relatively normal provided you have anticyclonic northerlies in the area for a long period of time.

What Iceland and Greenland we're connected by ice in 2005? Are you sure?

Posted

What Iceland and Greenland we're connected by ice in 2005? Are you sure?

It is a fairly common occurance during mid to late winter, but usually temporary. It happens because ice forms on the north coast of Iceland in areas, so if conditions are good for that to spread out then all you need is a push from Greenland, i believe that it also happened in 1969.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

It is a fairly common occurance during mid to late winter, but usually temporary. It happens because ice forms on the north coast of Iceland in areas, so if conditions are good for that to spread out then all you need is a push from Greenland, i believe that it also happened in 1969.

Yes i remember in the late 60`s reading a Geography book which contained a map showing the average Southern Limit of the Arctic Pack Ice reached the North Coast of Iceland in early Spring.

The charts below show a particularly cold setup around Greenland /Iceland in March 69 which could well have encouraged the icebridge between the 2 countries around that time.

post-2026-074089300 1284155484_thumb.gifpost-2026-076808800 1284155493_thumb.gif

I also recall some quite Cold Northerlies in that era in the UK,i guess because of the colder waters up there.

Edited by phil n.warks.

Posted

As we can see, the latest show the snow line creeping down the mountain ranges and more west. wit the urals getting their fist dusting.

11thsept20101.gif

Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted

As we can see, the latest show the snow line creeping down the mountain ranges and more west. wit the urals getting their fist dusting.

11thsept20101.gif

Yes European snow however seems to have retreated a little in Iceland, Norway and the Alps doesn't it not? The ice pack seems to be strengthening from those images however they aren't the most accurate pictures as they are images still on the decrease according to the graphs shouldn't be too long now until this all changes.

Posted

I feel like we are on the cusp of a big buildup now.

Lots more snow groth around the urals and no meltback anywhere today.

Also ice is starting to grow noticeably.

12thsept20101.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

This thread is really fun to follow and is great to see the Snow and Ice build up across the Northern Hemisphere. Looks like it really starting to show big growth :)

Posted

Still seems quite in Euopre I.e Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Finland and the Alps :/

Still seems quite in Euopre I.e Norway, Iceland, Sweden, Finland and the Alps :/

Posted

Here's today,s.

Not alot going on and sadly a little meltback at the sothern end of the urals as well as a small patch in tibet.

13thsept2010.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

expect to see some snowfall across northern and western Canada towards the middle of the week even at lower levels and def across the Rockies..we have a daytime high posted of 5c on Wednesday here in Edmonton..and lows of -6c outside the city.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

expect to see some snowfall across northern and western Canada towards the middle of the week even at lower levels and def across the Rockies..we have a daytime high posted of 5c on Wednesday here in Edmonton..and lows of -6c outside the city.

Should be the same for a large part of Siberia as well, CM. I expect to see an increase by the end of the week.

Posted

Should be the same for a large part of Siberia as well, CM. I expect to see an increase by the end of the week.

Also Northern Europe, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland and the Scottish Highlands could all turn white by next monday.

Posted

Well today we have a little bit of loss and a little bit of gain, the loss is around the urals and eastern russia, but we have gains in central russia, tibet and a small patch in central northern canada.

14thsept20101.gif

Posted

Well today we have a little bit of loss and a little bit of gain, the loss is around the urals and eastern russia, but we have gains in central russia, tibet and a small patch in central northern canada.

14thsept20101.gif

I suppose it's swings and roundabouts for another week or so, but the days are getting shorter...