Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by kimmirut, January 17, 2011 - nvm
Hidden by kimmirut, January 17, 2011 - nvm

Oh it's definitely possible. The snow line sometimes gets into Deep South.

If thats true then it shows how pathetic our winter is if they can get snow!

i'm around 100m above sea level in Aberdeenshire and we still have snow at road sides and where snow ploughs have piled it up

So do i and i'm in northern ireland, infact people in the southern portion of the north of england have that aswell lol. Its not really that big to have a pile of patches i mean they have been piled up so they take longer they are also frozen solid so they will take even longer. Also on the hill behind me in parts of the forest there is still a full covering.

Edited by kimmirut
Posted

cursnow_asiaeurope.gif?session-id=03a80d59cd8dd707ff8df14461fd8747

Snow has almost left the UK! (According to the map)

I swear the ice around Svalbard is slowly edging towards Norway....

Also, Hudson Bay looks to have finally frozen over completely.

Edited by John_T

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

So how are things going now?

I haven't forgotten your first posting at the back end of August. A lot has happened over the last few months but it is still relevant.

H

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

If ever anyone ever needed an illustration of the effect of the gulf stream this is certainly it!

And the jet-stream?

Posted

Concerning the Gulf stream.

This is from BornFromTheVoid in the sea surface temps thread. Still looks suspect to me.

Will give it more attention if it stays the same come spring.

Animation4.gif

Edited by mesocyclone

Hi,

We are currently shooting a feature film in North East England, and are desperate for 3/4 more days of Snow this winter. Unfortunately we didn't get chance to shoot in December.

I've been reading these boards, a few others, and following Joe Basardi and Piers Corbyn. And, seem to get a ix response on what the rest of the winter holds. Corbyn has gone from 'HEAVY SNOW IN FEB' in his £15 forecast to 'SOMETIMES SNOW' in his latest post. Joe laminate floori, says nothing in the immediate future and most of the boards I read give mixed views.

I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible on this and would appreciate anybody who could give theirs.

Will we get more snow this winter and, if so, when?

I've posted this on a couple of boards here, as there seems to be different discussions going on, apologies if you've read this twice.

Many thanks in advance, and please enjoy a clip of some of the footage we shot in the snow in FEB 2010.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

This is from the daily mail a few days ago. Still a very harsh winter, i think we haven't seen the last of it.

article-0-0D05489E000005DC-703_964x481.jpg

Truly amazing.

Is this a normal extent or is snowcover well above average?

Posted

Truly amazing.

Is this a normal extent or is snowcover well above average?

I couldn't tell you, Last year was quite a picture in the Northern Hemisphere but i don't have any other years of images to compare it too. We seem to be the odd ones out though, the weakening gulf stream is still doing its job by the looks of the picture.

I would like to see the picture at the end of Feb, i have a feeling it may look even more spectacular.