Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyclonic happiness

Snow And Ice In The Northern Hemisphere

I know it's sad, but I have a bit of a thing about watching the snow and ice spreading back over the northerne hemisphere, especially Russia.

So I thought I'd start a little thread and post daily images of this process.

So here is number 1.

firstsnowinsiberia1.gif

As you can see we are off the blocks with our first patch of siberian snow (circled), not much to look at, but it's been there 2 days now :-D.

I Like it, as you say a bit of fun.

I don't want any snow here until the winter thank you but it is interesting to see its onset in other parts of the world.

Bring on the Siberian High!

Being serious, over the next week, the models do show a threat of snow to the west of your circle, but nothing substantial as the Polar Vortex stays over water.

October is the main month for the snow pack to build.

i think its a brillant bit of fun also good to see how early it starts and how much through autumn and winter and spring.

perhapes it might be and idear to keep the data and add them up over the coming years.

fair bit of snow today falling 7 settling over the alpine regions- which is quite early-

S

Like the idea of this thread, keep it updated!

fair bit of snow today falling 7 settling over the alpine regions- which is quite early-

S

Snow in the hills of the Black Forest in Germany yesterday (above 1300M), didn't last, but got the locals talking

(I'm in Stuttgart for the week in case you wanted to know how I know)

S

hi Steve,

Snow falling in Katschberg in August. Not that unusual here, but 40 cm recorded at 2000m elevation. Was fairly deep in the Hohe Tauren. Snow falling to 1300m presently. try and send some pictures in daylight tomorrow.

C

Good topic.

Sort of thing I have been waiting for.

H

Good thread ch.

As one can see we are low on snow for this time of year. However this was the same last year and this was followed by some excellent late autumn growth which has been suggested and linked to later winter temperatures.

It will be interesting to follow the Rutgers site every month as well.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_rankings.php?ui_set=1

c

Ty for the feedback guys, I'm looking foreward to putting more black circles on the map :(

It's when you have to rub them off again that this can become depresssing!

Good thread ch.

As one can see we are low on snow for this time of year. However this was the same last year and this was followed by some excellent late autumn growth which has been suggested and linked to later winter temperatures.

It will be interesting to follow the Rutgers site every month as well.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/snowcover/table_rankings.php?ui_set=1

c

It's when you have to rub them off again that this can become depresssing!

Well as luck would have it we have several new white rabbits to look at for the latest picture!

(I must point out that these pictures lag 1 day behind so really i can't say white rabbits till tomorrow :-))

But we have a small patch of 'patches' just to the west of yesterdays patch!! woot!

snowcover31staugust20101.gif

Well as luck would have it we have several new white rabbits to look at for the latest picture!

(I must point out that these pictures lag 1 day behind so really i can't say white rabbits till tomorrow :-))

But we have a small patch of 'patches' just to the west of yesterdays patch!! woot!

snowcover31staugust20101.gif

great thread this :0)

Fantastic thread this as we build up to the winter. Its really good to see how Canada, the Alps etc are doing this early on. Whether its indicative of what we will get, who knows, but great to read. Keep it up please..

Well here is the latest picture for the 1st,

1stsept20101.gif

I'm wondering whether that patch is the one that was missing from the midlands for a good chunk of last winter?? :good:

Well here is the latest picture for the 1st,

1stsept20101.gif

I'm wondering whether that patch is the one that was missing from the midlands for a good chunk of last winter?? :D

:good: HAHAHAHA!!! A most definate YES! we were so gyped on snow last year that it was utterly SINFUL- please dont get me started on that one hahaha!!!

Is it possible to re-upload, or are they archived online, as it says they have already been moved or deleted?

Is it possible to re-upload, or are they archived online, as it says they have already been moved or deleted?

Yeps sorry bout that i accidently delted them in my cache, but i'll get back on that! ;-)

done it!!! lol!!

And as an apology I thought I'd stick in a picture of the same time last year for you to see the difference between this year and last.

As you can see, there is a little more snow to the east of russia, but not an awful lot.

2ndsept2009.gif

And we are not too different to 10 years ago in 2000.

2ndsept2000.gif

• High pressure in the driving seat until at least the end of May

High pressure continues to dominate our weather until at least early next week, with most staying dry and fine. The warm conditions will spread north, and the highest temperatures will transfer to the west as the high moves east and eventually over Scandinavia. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

More warmth and little rain in the forecast as May ends

HIgh pressure is slipping over the UK bringing settled and dry weather. Light winds before it moves away eastwards at the end of the week and the warmth extends northwards. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather