Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Nature's Signs Of Winter

ZONE 51

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Yes it is a disease of the conker tree causing the leaf damage/change ,called - the horse chestnut leaf miner -also their be smaller conkers in the affected trees this year.

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

I've noticed alot of ladybirds starting to hibernate now as well, not sure if they're early or not, but I've never noticed before and it's the kind of silly thing I look out for :)

Posted

The mice and voles are starting to come into the house — a sure sign of the season change. Don't get any in summer, but they come into the house around September looking for a winter hidey hole.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Not seen a Daddy Long-Legs yet. It's not "proper" autumn 'til my house is heaving with the little critters !!!

Really? I've seen plenty, the caravan especially is full of them, though there's been a few at home too. I always look out for berry bushes - the last 2 years have seen more berries than usual around here, and now this year seems to be at least average. I don't read into this much, but it's nice to keep an eye open and have an open mind :rolleyes:

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

I suspect the number of Daddy Long Legs might be less than usual this year; their biggest enemy is prolonged cold in the Winter and dry weather in the Summer, both of which will kill large numbers of pupae before they emerge as adult flies. :

:yahoo:Hate the things!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I suspect the number of Daddy Long Legs might be less than usual this year; their biggest enemy is prolonged cold in the Winter and dry weather in the Summer, both of which will kill large numbers of pupae before they emerge as adult flies. :

:yahoo:Hate the things!

Me too, I hate them. They are so annoying.

Posted

I always get confused as to what people mean by "daddy longlegs" as a kid i was led to believe that "crainflies" were daddy longlegs, but now I'm not so sure???? we really need to clear up the confusion.....?!!

Posted

They're the dreaded Crane Flies, nasty, long legged, flappy things which seem to delight in dive-bombing me. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Craneflies, daddylonglegs, call them flying spiders - thats what they are basically dont you think?, anyway all the same insect.

The chestnuts are really filling the branches ,and growing fast.

Anyone seen hedgehogs lately?

Edited by nimbilus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

dont have hedgehogs in Canada but the moose have come down into the vallies and the geese are flying south

Posted

Blimey, it will take them ages to get to Africa.....:yahoo:

Posted

Craneflies, daddylonglegs, call them flying spiders - thats what they are basically dont you think?, anyway all the same insect.

The chestnuts are really filling the branches ,and growing fast.

Anyone seen hedgehogs lately?

Still got two active ones in my garden, driving the dogs nutz :clap:

When will an American Cocker Spaniel realise "Hedgehog------Spines-------Sharp--------Hurts nose-------more scared of me than I am of it------Stop Barking--------It wont do me any harm"

Doh :doh:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Still got two active ones in my garden, driving the dogs nutz :clap:

When will an American Cocker Spaniel realise "Hedgehog------Spines-------Sharp--------Hurts nose-------more scared of me than I am of it------Stop Barking--------It wont do me any harm"

Doh :doh:

Shout dinners ready! Works with my American Cocker every time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Still a few swifts knocking about here - saw one yesterday over the house - that's actually quite late - they're normally gone with us by the end of August.

Posted

Have had a good crop of apples and pears in local gardens with parraketts(green birds) and the jays snapping the apples, squirrels going mad on the acorns doing gymnastics! they hang from their back feet dangling grapping the acorns, not seen any wasps for a week or more, chestnuts are doing verywell, conkers not so at the moment.

Posted

post-6667-007036600%201284641112.jpg

Just picked up my first few conkers of 2010 this lunchtime. They seem to be a bit earlier this year, is it a trend?

BAD weather in August is having a knock-on effect for millions of school kids — as experts announced a CONKER shortage

www.thesun.co.uk/Conkers-hit-by-bad-weather.html

Posted

So we need august's to be dry warm and sunny, for a good crop of conkers.

Round my area theres many conker(horse chesnut)trees, these are the first to change leaf colour this year, this due to a leaf disease, and maybe the se dry summer? What im thinking is how weak are these trees root and trunks, has it affected the core and roots? because of the potential greater risk of them falling in a gale.

Posted

post-6667-007036600%201284641112.jpg

Just picked up my first few conkers of 2010 this lunchtime. They seem to be a bit earlier this year, is it a trend?

www.thesun.co.uk/Conkers-hit-by-bad-weather.html

I tried opening a few this morning - still a bit soft. Not good fighting material yet !!