Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Closing Of Winter Topica

Posted

I am a very infrequent poster on here, but enjoy reading what others - expert and otherwise! - have to say on the weather.

Like many others, I am most interested in the winter weather and look forward to reading others forecasts - from very long range to nowcasts - about winter.

What I would like to know is why did moderators feel the need to close the winter discussion thread? Yes, I appreciate is it mostly speculation and guess work at this stage, but it is fun to read non the less. Surely those deeply offended by the lack of scientific basis or general off topicness of the thread could just not read it, and let those of us who want to speculate away to our hearts content get on with it in peace and quite if we promise not to disturb the in depth and more serious forecasting threads?

anyway, I've had my say - but it does seem like this forum is somewhat over moderated to me (but saying that I do appreciate the personal time that mods put into the site and that it is a difficult balance)

Posted

What I would like to know is why did moderators feel the need to close the winter discussion thread?

The thread was closed due to inappropriate and off topic subject matter made by a few members, which we can still see but you can't. We will be opening a fresh one at some point soon.

As for being over moderated.... We try to leave all posts as is but we do have to edit, move or remove a small number of posts as the need arises. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,cold,frost,fog,wind,rain

hi,

got to say im in a similar boat - im fairly new and made few posts, but do agree with otleygas sentimant. i enjoy reading the speculations and what if's - that to me is part of the excitement. to see threads closed beacuse in some peoples opinions "its too far away" seems a bit crazy. if there are other reasons beyond this then maybe if that reason is given for the reason for closure? otherwise why have any threads on predicitions at all? because they are just that - predicitions that will always invite uncertainty and speculation. If as pottyprof says, there are other reasons that we dont get to see - then maybe a statement of this, or direct dealing with those involved might suit everyone, rather than shutting an entire thread because of some problematic members?

i echo otleygas - moderators do a great job, just a shame to see interesting threads closed so easily

gsteruk

Posted

The thread wasn't closed because it contained speculation, it was closed because too many members were becoming abusive and insulting to others because they didn't agree with their views. We went down the usual routes of removing/editing posts and contacting people directly, but unfortunately it didn't stop the situation from continuing to go downhill so as a last resort we closed the thread.

As is often said - the moderators can only do so much, it's down to all the members to moderate themselves and if they do that, posts don't get removed and threads don't get locked..

I'm sure there'll be plenty of other winter based threads in the coming months..

Posted

The thread wasn't closed because it contained speculation, it was closed because too many members were becoming abusive and insulting to others because they didn't agree with their views. We went down the usual routes of removing/editing posts and contacting people directly, but unfortunately it didn't stop the situation from continuing to go downhill so as a last resort we closed the thread.

As is often said - the moderators can only do so much, it's down to all the members to moderate themselves and if they do that, posts don't get removed and threads don't get locked..

I'm sure there'll be plenty of other winter based threads in the coming months..

Thanks for the explanation - much appreciated. Here's hoping for an exciting winter - half the fun is in the anticipation!