Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Atlantic Current Is Gone

Posted

Hi and welcome! Yes, you're right that it's not crossing the Atlantic at the moment. Not sure if it is having any effect on the sea temps tho' There are plenty of more knowledgeable people on here who can advise you about this. Keep watching the thread and the answer will turn up! :yahoo:

Good point Blitzen,the answer may come from Glacier Point but knowing nothing about it really I am taking something of a risk suggesting that this may well have happened before to some degree and that we should not be carried away by the day after tomorrow scenario.

I cant quote you because YOU didnt say it was going to happen. This was not aimed at you..come on get a grip. Its the DAILY MAIL, they do it every year about a dooms day prediction of bad winter weather.

Surely you could tell my comment was about the DAILY MAIL not you...lol. I dont even mention what YOU may think about the subject..drrrr

Thank you for posting the links, the Daily Mail is always good for a laugh.

Isn't everything they say in the newspapers true? :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

[thethe chart thats up here from last year and the one up now shows the gulf stream is allmost 90 percent less then it was

is this normal

does it happen from time to time this looks strange to me

According to experts and many posters on here yes, it has happened before. It appears to go through stages of strengthening and weakening so don't dig out the survival suit just yet!

Posted

According to experts and many posters on here yes, it has happened before. It appears to go through stages of strengthening and weakening so don't dig out the survival suit just yet!

Exactly, its a variable ocean current that changes its path from time to time, and the deterioration of it is expected over a period of years rather than months. The atlantic looks just as prevelant as ever imo as you can see the low pressure systems tracking towards greenland and iceland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

This is the flawless reasoning behind the Daily Mail 'article':

"The cold winters are brought by the freezing winds coming to northern and central Europe from Siberia.

These winds are normally stopped by the jet stream but scientists have found that this bends at times of low solar activity allowing the cold air through. The connection between the jet stream bending and solar activity is not fully understood.

This bend also stops warm winds from the Atlantic reaching this part of Europe"

1. I can't recall many easterlies last winter, at least certainly not where the air was sourced from Siberia.........

2. The jet stream 'stops wind' now does it ???

3. The jet stream 'bends allowing cold air through' !!!

4. 'Stops warm winds from the Atlantic' - so the Pm air we experienced numerous times last winter wasn't crossing the N. Atlantic ???

Utterly laughable journalism. The incredible thing with the Daily Mail is that in order for it to remain in print there must be people prepared to spend their own money to read this cr*p

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

This is the flawless reasoning behind the Daily Mail 'article':

"The cold winters are brought by the freezing winds coming to northern and central Europe from Siberia.

These winds are normally stopped by the jet stream but scientists have found that this bends at times of low solar activity allowing the cold air through. The connection between the jet stream bending and solar activity is not fully understood.

This bend also stops warm winds from the Atlantic reaching this part of Europe"

1. I can't recall many easterlies last winter, at least certainly not where the air was sourced from Siberia.........

2. The jet stream 'stops wind' now does it ???

3. The jet stream 'bends allowing cold air through' !!!

4. 'Stops warm winds from the Atlantic' - so the Pm air we experienced numerous times last winter wasn't crossing the N. Atlantic ???

Utterly laughable journalism. The incredible thing with the Daily Mail is that in order for it to remain in print there must be people prepared to spend their own money to read this cr*p

I havent read the arcticle myself but from what you have quoted it seems they have tried to" dunb down" their explanation for last Winters Cold spell and made a mess of it.

Reading between the lines the reporter was probably trying to say something along something like this.---

The jet Stream was weaker than normal and took a different path last Winter.

This meant meant less milder Atlantic Westerlies than usual affecting the UK..This allowed more Cold air to affect our weather.

Yes there is more to it than that but tthat would have sufficed for most laymen i think.

Ufortunately another example these days of a probable non-expert on a subject being allowed to write an article reaching a lot of people.

Posted

http://polar.ncep.no...-rundate=latest

Latest update above. Notice hurricane Igor in the center heading towards the east coast. It is tiny in comparison to the area disrupted both up and downstream.

Edited by eyeofthestorm

Posted

An interesting article published yesterday, which highlights the fact that in the past 50 years, ocean circulation closer to the Equator has grown weaker, whereas the northern waters have flowed more strongly.

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100912/full/news.2010.461.html

Posted

Surely the biggest concern for this and future winters is the gulf stream situation?

Here is the latest SST Buoy data from Netweather Extra, as I said on an earlier page it appears some of this data is maintained by private indistry and some by the Met Office. Also NOAA polar orbiting satellites and not the model data confirm the well below average North Atlantic SST.

http://marine.rutger...=sst&nothumbs=0 Link to Satellite data.

Torquay 10.1°C

Bournemouth 10.0°C

Newquay 10.1°C

Brighton 16.7°C

Great Yarmouth 16.4°C

Skegness 14.9°C

Scarborough 9.2°C

St Andrews 9.9°C

Skye 9.9°C

Blackpool 9.7°C

Minehead 9.7°C

St Marys 10.1°C

Jersey 11.4°C

Falmouth 10.3°C

http://polar.ncep.no...-rundate=latest latest Gulf Stream data.

Edited by eyeofthestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Surely the biggest concern for this and future winters is the gulf stream situation?

Here are the latest SST Buoy data from Netweather Extra, as I said on an early page it appears some of this data is maintained by the private sector and some by the Met Office. Also NOAA polar orbiting satellites and not model data confirm the well below average North Atlantic SST.

Torquay 10.1°C

Bournemouth 10.0°C

Newquay 10.1°C

Brighton 16.7°C

Great Yarmouth 16.4°C

Skegness 14.9°C

Scarborough 9.2°C

St Andrews 9.9°C

Skye 9.9°C

Blackpool 9.7°C

Minehead 9.7°C

St Marys 10.1°C

Jersey 11.4°C

Falmouth 10.3°C

How can the sea temp at Brighton be 6.7c higher than at Bournemouth?!

Posted

I dont know, but that is according to NetWeather Extra. Some of these Buoys are maintained by private industry and I am not going to put the blame on the Met Office for playing with figures. However one can see from the ocean forecast models that the gulf stream has almost vanished in the past 12 months, so maybe this information is been sat upon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

There is no way the sea around the South West is only around 10C in early september, something is a miss with that data or the positioning of the bouys is being affected by another source - river out flows.....???

Posted

There is no way the sea around the South West is only around 10C in early september, something is a miss with that data or the positioning of the bouys is being affected by another source - river out flows.....???

If It was an error it would have been corrected by now. This has been showing for weeks.

Posted

I dont know, but that is according to NetWeather Extra. Some of these Buoys are maintained by private industry and I am not going to put the blame on the Met Office for playing with figures. However one can see from the ocean forecast models that the gulf stream has almost vanished in the past 12 months, so maybe this information is been sat upon.

Not sure where the data is from but it's very very wrong. SSTs in the English Channel are current 16-17c and it's only north of Iceland that they drop to 10c

http://www.getaforecast.com/weather-charts-seatemp.php

Here are the latest SST Buoy data from Netweather Extra, as I said on an early page it appears some of this data is maintained by the private sector and some by the Met Office. Also NOAA polar orbiting satellites and not model data confirm the well below average North Atlantic SST.

Torquay 10.1°C

Bournemouth 10.0°C

Newquay 10.1°C

Brighton 16.7°C

Great Yarmouth 16.4°C

Skegness 14.9°C

Scarborough 9.2°C

St Andrews 9.9°C

Skye 9.9°C

Blackpool 9.7°C

Minehead 9.7°C

St Marys 10.1°C

Jersey 11.4°C

Falmouth 10.3°C

I can't believe those figures, Brighton, Yarmouth and Skegness appear to be the only ones about right - there shouldn't be anywhere around our coasts lower than 14C at this time of year and the south coast should be about 16 to 17C. Even if the buoy were in line with an outflow from a river, there should not be any rivers with a temp below 10C at the moment.

Posted

I can't believe those figures, Brighton, Yarmouth and Skegness appear to be the only ones about right - there shouldn't be anywhere around our coasts lower than 14C at this time of year and the south coast should be about 16 to 17C. Even if the buoy were in line with an outflow from a river, there should not be any rivers with a temp below 10C at the moment.

I know what your saying, but I cant help think though it is indeed correct. There are large parts of the North Atlantic well below normal too as shown by the NOAA satellites, and it is just too much of a coincidence to me that with the gulf stream losing over 90% of its strength. It has shown the same thing for weeks, and by now you would of thought it would of been corrected.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

I know what your saying, but I cant help think though it is indeed correct. There are large parts of the North Atlantic well below normal too as shown by the NOAA satellites, and it is just too much of a coincidence to me that with the gulf stream losing over 90% of its strength. It has shown the same thing for weeks, and by now you would of thought it would of been corrected.

its totally wrong see Essan post above or even the wetterzale sea temps on here..sea temps are mostly above or around average across the North Atlantic and around the British Isles :winky:

Posted

its totally wrong see Essan post above or even the wetterzale sea temps on here..sea temps are mostly above or around average across the North Atlantic and around the British Isles :winky:

Well if it is correct we are in trouble this winter. Probably is wrong and there is some error in the data. But I am surprised no one has fixed it yet.

Edited by eyeofthestorm

Posted

Well if it is correct we are in trouble this winter. Probably is wrong and there is some error in the data. But I am surprised no one has fixed it yet.

Not definitely, it is still early days yet

Does anybody have any idea of the temps down towards the seabed of the Channel and the North Sea? If the figures are correct, the waters must be getting churned up in some way i.e. colder bottom water coming to the surface - Looking particularly at the difference between Brighton and Bournmouth.

Does anybody have any idea of the temps down towards the seabed of the Channel and the North Sea? If the figures are correct, the waters must be getting churned up in some way i.e. colder bottom water coming to the surface - Looking particularly at the difference between Brighton and Bournmouth.

Posted

Folks

Just back from SW France where I am lucky enough to have my home, (though saly still work in London), it has been a strange summer, when the sun shone (and it still is) it was really warm and at times very hot, however as soon as the sun went down it was decidedly cooler than we would normally expect. All the locals have been saying that Moscow stole our warm summer nights, though interestingly harvesting of all sorts of crops from the vines to the sunflowers is starting early this year.

Sea temps, tested by dipping our toes, and a bit more, into the water at the beach, as well as listening to the Meteo sea temp forecasts each day, have been normal for our area all summer, so its weird that evening temps have been so cool over the summer, in comparison with previous years.

I'm not really sure what it all means at this stage, even our local sages are confused, and as we love to say you have to take the longer term view

Cheers

FC

Edited by frozencanals

Posted

For latest sea temperatures in the solent see:-

http://www.sotonmet.co.uk/(S(sjc3reyu0ugw5a45mwddgdaw))/default.aspx

there appears to be nothing unusual about the sea temperature.

The figures of 10degrees in Engish channel must be wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

you dont say!? :80:

Posted

For latest sea temperatures in the solent see:-

http://www.sotonmet....))/default.aspx

there appears to be nothing unusual about the sea temperature.

Just out of interest why are people looking at sea temperatures in this area of the UK? Shouldnt the sea temps off the coast of Ireland be better?