Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Atlantic Current Is Gone

Posted
Posted (edited) · Hidden by Bottesford, August 30, 2010 - No reason given
Hidden by Bottesford, August 30, 2010 - No reason given

I find that comment rather ill informed and insulting, As a Roman Catholic I wouldn't dream of calling a science website in any other way that would offend, I fail to see why bible bashing is deemed appropriate here.

He didn't mean anything by it, when I was at high school we were all branded 'Bible bashers' for going to a catholic school. It's a pretty loose term that is meant more as a joke than an insult, or at least now it is.

Edited by 10123
Posted

Hhhmmmm...well I've just read this saying the Gulf Stream is not slowing down:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/8589512.stm

hi people, jamo- the article you refer to was published nearly a month BEFORE the oil disaster occurred, this latest story is obviously linked to the oil spill. now dont get me wrong, i always take these stories with a pinch of salt... but it is interesting to say the least and one i will be watching. it may well be scaremongering or a hoax but time will tell i suppose. a good way to find out would be to research the 'scientist ' who originated the story to check his credibility

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The Gulf Stream is a sort of pump… cold salt water is heavier than fresh water flowing into the Atlantic from rivers/glaciers and so sinks below the fresh water. This constant action of the cold heavy salt water flows down to the tropics in the western Atlantic driving the warmer water above it towards the north Atlantic, where it cools down again and repeats the cycle.

There has been speculation that melting Arctic glaciers would dump more fresh water into the northern Atlantic, diluting the heavy salt water so it no longer sinks and stops the pump. Paradoxically, this would mean that north west Europe and Scandinavia would become colder as we'd no longer have the warm Gulf Stream to moderate our temperate climate.

Edited by Iceni

Posted

http://polar.ncep.no...-rundate=latest

- check out this link, then enter the run time forecast for july 1st 2010. now i'm no scientist and would love to believe that the story of the gulf stream shutting down was true, however, the gulf stream looks stronger now than it did in july when the uk was getting temps of 30 degrees or more! can anyone explain why this is? oh and change view to see the whole atlantic

Edited by bobbydog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Its a load of tosh,i stopped after about 2minutes.

Agreed! If only I could count all the claims of the NAD's (actual or imminent) demise that have floated around the net over the years...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

What if these guys really have hit on something though? I for one have found it at least a little curious that all that oil that spewed into the Gulf for all those weeks and months has disappeared? Where has it all gone. The beaches are still in pristine condition and all that washed ashore washed up in the form of small tar balls,which were picked up and put into bags. Politicians, as we have learned, are not exactly known for their honesty are they? Time of course will tell.

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

The gulf stream must of been at one of it`s strongest points during the early 90`s I wouldn`ve thought,the jet stream sure was with more winters atlantic storms than ever.

The atlantic does seem to of dropped off in recent years theres no doubt.

All very interesting.

Posted

What if these guys really have hit on something though? I for one have found it at least a little curious that all that oil that spewed into the Gulf for all those weeks and months has disappeared? Where has it all gone. The beaches are still in pristine condition and all that washed ashore washed up in the form of small tar balls,which were picked up and put into bags. Politicians, as we have learned, are not exactly known for their honesty are they? Time of course will tell.

The oil is probably being thrust around through currents, although we never know the exact situation so we can't make a judgment you're correct there. Well many scientist have already stated that by 2050 the temperature could be as much as 5 degrees cooler in the Northern part of Europe I.e Uk, Ireland, France, Iceland, Norway and the Faeroe Islands, due to the gulf stream becoming weaker, this would most properly turn mountain ranges such as Snowdonia and the Scottish mountain areas, as areas that could hold proper snow cover all year round.

Mind you its all good and well for us to anticipate colder weather etc, we've got to also look at the implications it could possibly have. Growing season could be cut by 2/3 months this would limit what could be grown in the Uk and we would then become even more dependent on other areas of the World for food. What makes me laugh is how when we had heavy snow in 2001 I remember GMTV with some scientist saying snow could become a rare event and not seeing it in 13 or so years, that has gone through the roof, if anything last 3 years we've had a greater frequency of snow than since the 80s. I personally believe the 2000s are half between the Ninety's and the Eighties that being it's not as classic as 80's snow but not as poor ar the 90s. Only time will tell for the future however.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

It is of course theoretically possible however i can't see it having a big effect. The weakening of the NAD over the years has been attributed to enhanced polar ice melt which is preventing the sinking of the warm Gulf watersdue to fresh water at the surface.

The reason i think the oil spill will have little effect is because the GOM is where the water uppwells towards the surface creating a warm eddy in the region, at worst it will upwell somewhere else, at best the current will carry on flowing just at a much lower depth.

Also, any effect will be temporary as the oil is shifted about and broken up by Hurricanes/the weather in general.

Posted

Oops sorry!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Here`s a link to the views expressed on the BBC/Weather site.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/climate/impact/gulf_stream.shtml

Seems some slowing of the Gulf Stream is expected.

Posted

That bbc article was very umm global warming droning on slightly. Made no sense at all where it proved temperatures would decrease yet it still forecasted an increase slightly in temperature? Doesn't make sense.

That bbc article was very umm global warming droning on slightly. Made no sense at all where it proved temperatures would decrease yet it still forecasted an increase slightly in temperature? Doesn't make sense.

It is badly worded - I think they mean that even though the heating from the gulf stream will be less, global warming will still push the temps up a tad, though personally as far as GW is concerned my opinion is changing from that of initially being a believer to that of becoming sceptical.

I find it hard to reconcile the fact that there have been warmer periods, especially about the turn of the first millenium than what we have today, when there was less CO2 around - I think we are being taken for a ride so the governments can increase their taxes. :unsure: :doh:

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64059-ocean-charts-appear-to-confirm-north-atlantic-current-has-stopped/e link from duplicate thread which has been locked. Any thoughts? Edited by Blitzen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I am sure the current will be as strong as ever come the winter.... :wallbash:

Posted

I am sure the current will be as strong as ever come the winter.... :wallbash:

Well hopefully all the signals are stacking up for a cold winter again?

Won't last but let's enjoy it whilst we can.

Posted

Has anyone noticed the cold SST around much of the UK? Many places in single figures according to Netweather extra. According to the actual observed temperatures as opposed to the model projections they are some 7c lower than the model is predicting. Anyone seeing the same thing?

Edited by eyeofthestorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I think we are being taken for a ride so the governments can increase their taxes. :nonono::yahoo:

I think that's just a case of governments using AGW as an excuse to take the easy option on particular issues- it doesn't say anything about the validity of claims of AGW which come primarily from climate scientists who do not benefit from taxes.

SSTs around the UK will indeed be low by recent standards because January-August temperatures are merely running close to the 1961-90 average, and therefore more than 0.5C below most recent years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I would expect nothing else from the BBC...

Quite right too! One can always read the Daily Mail to find the contrarian agenda?