Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The North Atlantic Current Is Gone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Have not read it overly indepth - but it makes for worrying reading!

I can't help but think though its one of these hoaxes...may help explain thought why its been awfully cool, if not cold, these last few weeks!

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes it has weakend due to the oil, and yes this may mean that we get a cooler winter, however it has not died and 2/3 of the human race is not going to die in the next year.

Posted

There makes some sensible arguements, but alot of scaremongering and things that wouldn't happen, the amount of oil that is leaking is significant yes but not significant enought to kill the gulf stream. It has been cool in August before you can't compare one month of weather to a full pattern.

This reporting seems a bit extreme - I believe it has been reported that there has been some slowing of the North Atlantic Drift in recent years but at the moment the anomolies show quite a relatively warm section in the Southern Greenland area, cooling off to east with average temps in the South West approaches of teh British Isles. There is a cold patch off Newfoundland and another cold patch stretching from just off South West Spain down to the Canaries, otherwise the majority of the Atlantic appears to be warmer in varying degrees.

I will leave it to others to give more expert opinions to throw some light on this subject.

Posted

have a look at this site and this The North Atlantic Current is Gone

http://europebusines.blogspot.com/

I started reading and got bored, it all sound feasible but then again so does everything when you back it up with enough science (AGW etc).

If there was a real risk we would have heard about ti from the Meto or most of all the Daily Mail. Just for a second it was real we wouldn't see 2/3 of the human race gone as we can easily migrate. Most importantly this would affect MEDC's which would mean we have enough resources to either migrate or survive in these conditions.

Posted

Every year, just before the start of the cooling down from summer through Autumn into winter the same Gulf Stream is shutting down topics appear. I must say it's earlier than normal even for the most apocalyptic years!

Hhhmmmm...well I've just read this saying the Gulf Stream is not slowing down:

http://news.bbc.co.u...ech/8589512.stm

Although their data originates from the same organisation that predicted the 'Barbecue Summer' and 'Mild winter'? (thought I'd get that in before anyone else does)

Posted

I found the same as 10123. Got bored of it.

Could be scaremongering, but it also seems to be written by people who have it in for the Oil Giants as well.

Using BP as an excuse for something that has been seen to be occurring over te last few years is a bit rash, but how would we know if the spilt oil would not have accellerated what this article is calling a total catastrophy!:shok: .

Quick, stockpile the bread & milk. Two Thirds of us are going to perish!!!!!!!:whistling: .

What a load of tosh.

All we can do is wait & see what the forthcoming seasons have to offer.

This will not help! :whistling: Probably pie in the sky!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10914462

Don't like that - basic physics tells us that you can't get something for nothing, so there will have to be a trade off.

Taking energy out of the Gulf Stream by these generators must surely depress its energy in its future travels and affect our part of the world eventually. Probably on a small scale it will have very little effect and be a drop in the ocean, so to speak but if this were to be done on a massive scale it would surely have an effect on those of us upstream.

Posted

To say that the north atlantic current is gone is very misleading , given the fact that has mearly just a small slow down, if anything those sattelite images show a pick up in the last 2 weeks.

LOL, this will be added to the long line of scaremongering ploys that have taken palce in the last 10 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

hgt300.png

There she is alive and breathing...

Lol am not even going to ask what relevance that has :shok::whistling:

Other than the jet stream has broken up a fair bit this year, more so than I've noticed in previous years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

hgt300.png

There she is alive and breathing...

That is the Jet Stream, the high level winds which steer our low pressure systems. The Gulf Stream on the other hand is a warm current of water in the North Atlantic. Personally I wouldn't worry at all just yet though!

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

oil floats and would have to sink very deep to have any lasting effect.

most likely a data error or slowdown that was not detectable by sat.

and if you read carefully it says its stopped then later in the post it says its slowed this is normal when slowing happens due to shifts in cold water areas and warm water areas.

and if it did shutdown the likely out come is the north alantic becoming toxic which in turn would be harm full to life.

it also has to be noted that the arctic is still having higher than normal melts,id of thought this would be the oposite.

russia 104c my thats hot is that record breaking sounds like it could be.

possibly another hoax.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
Posted · Hidden by Bottesford, August 30, 2010 - No reason given
Hidden by Bottesford, August 30, 2010 - No reason given

and its from a bible bashing site.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

thtat article is the essence of 'frontier gibberish'! As far as I understand it, substantial changes to the NAD takes decades if not centuries.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

thtat article is the essence of 'frontier gibberish'! As far as I understand it, substantial changes to the NAD takes decades if not centuries.

Normally it takes long periods. But events such as the Younger Dryas shows that it can be quite sudden too...

Edited by NaDamantaSam

Posted
Posted · Hidden by Bottesford, August 30, 2010 - No reason given
Hidden by Bottesford, August 30, 2010 - No reason given

and its from a bible bashing site.

I find that comment rather ill informed and insulting, As a Roman Catholic I wouldn't dream of calling a science website in any other way that would offend, I fail to see why bible bashing is deemed appropriate here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

If there was a real risk we would have heard about ti from the Meto or most of all the Daily Mail.

It was't in the Daily Mail so it cant be true :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Didn't "G,Dubya" have a moment in the 90's when handed a flow chart of the N.A.D.? (NASA enhanced so that the 'colours' of flow strength did a logrithic 'hop' in mid 80's 'cause the current had gotten too so 'cold/slow' for it to be easily distinguished from Atlantic waters?) or is that just an Urban myth......

The heat of the Atlantic , and the naff past summers (here in UK) attest to a naff change!

If the northerlie reaches of the Atlantic become so warm as to slow down the 'exchange' of hot to cold then what next?

Edited by Gray-Wolf