Cold?
IGNORED

Does It, 'never Happen Where You Are '

Posted

17 inches of snow or Cm's?

Inches, racing streamers up the darton / new mill valley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Nothing much seems to happen here — but just up the road…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305798/Suffolk-tornado-Twister-rips-village-Great-Livermere.html

I've been trying to find the thread where the possibility of a tornado was warned about by TORO or summat. I remember on Monday afternoon low clouds were scudding across the sky and it looked very threatening,

Posted

Well,going by the forecasts of late,today and into tomorrow was going to be wet and windy. Perfectly predictably that's not going to happen now,having done the usual trick of knocking on our door and running away. I'm not going to get downhearted but make the most of it. Gonna leave the family to their own devices whilst I drag the motorbike out and head off a hundred miles to my favourite,deserted spot of coastline. Every cloud's got a silver lining etc. Watch it hammer it down now :whistling: !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Blimey, Reef, that's almost in a league of it's own. I feel much better now.

I must admit I have few complaints when it comes to snow although occasionally in a north westerly there will be heavy snow showers a few miles north west of here and we get nothing.

My main gripe is regarding heavy convective showers, thunderstorms or areas of continuous heavy rain. Many people would regard missing such events as a bonus but I love rain and constantly feel cheated.

Looking at it logically I must get rain when others don't otherwise I wouldn't have an annual average rainfall of 1050 mm when the surrounding lower areas get only 700-800mm; it just doesn't seem like it, or it seems as though other places nearby are getting more than their fair share.

This has regularly been a problem for me when in Cleadon during the summer half-year. Convective events often die out as they approach the coast in westerly flows (in contrast to Yorkshire southwards, where showers often intensify as they head east, due to topography and the country being wider), while sea breezes often keep them away from the coast. The worst experiences were those days when the rest of the country had sun, showers and thunderstorms apart from a narrow strip of the North Sea coast which had low cloud, and I was informed of how lucky I'd been to escape the bad weather, mainly by older relatives and TV forecasts. However, Cleadon is pretty good for picking up convective snow events in winter as was emphatically demonstrated last winter.

Lancaster was pretty bad for it as well- typically most of the exciting weather would be anchored further south and east, with Lancaster sometimes getting the "titbits" on the end. Weak convective events in summer and sleety events in winter were the norm.

On the other hand I've had no complaints when living in Leeds, and more especially Norwich which seems to get more than its fair share of exciting weather, with a mean of 16 thunder-days per year and exposure to the same kind of snow events as Cleadon gets. I think a lot depends on individual locations and due to influences of topography, land use etc, some locations are a lot more prone to missing out than others, even just a few miles away. For example I've noticed that a lot of the exciting weather that periodically affects East Anglia seems to miss Cambridge.

My time spent in Exeter was interesting because the area around the Met Office (where I was) got quite a few spectacular weather events but there was an area to the south-east that missed out on almost everything. However the locals inform me that most of the time, the Met Office area also misses out quite a lot.

Posted

We don't really have any of these issues, we even seem to be more lucky than a lot of places round here. :whistling:

I don't know how old you are or if you were living in or around St Albans during the infamous bitterly cold

spell of January 1987 because if you were you would have probably been pulling your hair and teeth out

with heavy or should I say very heavy falls of snow to the north, east and south of Hertfordshire.

With areas no more than 30-50 miles of us talking of snow depth in feet most of Hertfordshire escaped

( if thats the right word) with about 4 or 5 inches.

I could recall several very potent east, northeasterly's where many surrounding areas would get pasted

by snow but Hertfordshire would receive only a couple of inches.We certainly get our share of the cold

when a potent east, northeasterly sets in but the heavy snow showers that often accompany this weather

regime are often further to the north, east and even south of us.

Posted

I've gone on about the inability of snow to fall, or settle when it does fall, around Shrewsbury for years; any hint of marginality and it's sleet, rain or non-sticking stuff (even at temps of 0C). That's if it doesn't break up and reform 20 miles either side. Last winter was diabolical for this- it kept snowing and snowing 40 miles north, west and south but either didn't stick or didn't fall here.

Summer can be a pain too when cloud seems to build up faster here than almost anywhere else, and for some reason temps are always 2-3C lower in warm spells than just south (Hereford, Worcs) and of course there's those wretched SE-takes everything setups when we're just left with all the cloud but none of the rain, sun or heat. And in contrast to winter, this area attracts "scattered showers" in summer like a magnet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

No offence TM but there may be dozens thinking they wished they lived where you live but there are probably thousands who wish they didn't.

You're probably quite right, CMD, and I would think that Richard from Buxton is one of them.

Posted

More sheltered parts of the country to the east of high ground such as south yorkshire, humberside area tend to see weak frontal rain events when fronts arrive from any point between north west and south west - the prevailing direction for frontal rain events, perhaps explaining why members in such areas complain about lack of rain from fronts.

Areas in showery convergence zones such as areas along the cheshire gap and along the Wash gap and also the east thames estuary can see very exciting weather in unstable northerly westerly in the case of the cheshire gap and north easterly/easterly airmasses in the case of the latter locations both during summer in terms of thunderstorms and in winter in terms of heavy snow showers.

Areas with height and near the coast in Western Britain tend to see the most unpredictable conditions.

Scotland as a whole tends to see much more variety in weather than england. Much of Wales also sees quite variable weather. The most variable conditions in England tend to be in Cornwall and Cumbria exposed to atlantic airstreams. However, on occasion East Anglia and Kent can be a different world to the rest of the country this often happens when a continental pool of air moves in from the near continent giving intense heat in the summer and cold in the winter.

Probably the dullest area of the country for variable weather is much of the midlands and central southern england/home counties and London - conversely where a large proportion of the population lives. Also countryside locations see much more variable weather than town/city locations.

On a personal note I love living here in the Lake District in terms of its variable weather - I'm very lucky in this respect even if we do see rather too much rain and cloudy skies for my liking.

Probably the dullest area of the country for variable weather is much of the midlands and central southern england/home counties and London - conversely where a large proportion of the population lives. Also countryside locations see much more variable weather than town/city locations.

You've indirectly hit the nail on the head with this one Damian, the reason that these areas are populated is because the weather is benign. I tried to argue this point with a lecturer when I was doing my masters at uni, but he couldn't see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Central areas of the west country can be very frustrating because we see "close but no cigar" with heavy snow fall so often as the atlantic systems often plough through this part of the country knocking the colder air aside and leaving west with nothing but wind and rain while others bask in a wonderful snow event.

So often the local weather will say snow may fall in parts of gloucester and wilthire/east (always sounds like broken record) but rain to the west however I have also come to realise that as places to live go I live in one of the best places in southern england situated on very high ground and so see some epic falls of snow when the conditions are right like the past winter although more especially the febuary before last when we had over a foot fall in a day and almost 3 in the week accumilate.

Our local pub has a photo of the snow drifted up to the top of the roof in some event in the 1980's from a stalling atlantic front so I live in hope that one day I shall get to take a similar picture. :D

Posted

Why is it that a front stalling over Scotland or northern England produces two days of continuous rain and 80-100mm of precipitation but when one stalls over Derbyshire it's so weak it can barely manage 2mm of showery rain and drizzle?

Yes, I get that impression as well. A band of preciptation coming up from the south from a slow moving low in the south and it never stalls over my area, its either further north or further south.

Or when snow is pushing up from the south/southwest, it dumps a load of snow over the Midlands during the early hours but it arrives here after sunrise, the temperature rises and it doesn't stick. A number of times that has happened.

As for thunderstorms, I sometimes wonder exaggeration is at play here that people reporting really bad thunderstorms are really as bad as they say they are. There is one member on TheWeatherOutlook forum (a site that I don't post anymore on) seems to be always reporting thunderstorms and at times bad ones but I did scratch my head wondering why he always seems to get the storms and bad ones at that.

Posted

Or when snow is pushing up from the south/southwest, it dumps a load of snow over the Midlands during the early hours but it arrives here after sunrise, the temperature rises and it doesn't stick. A number of times that has happened.

Occasions that come to mind: the first Feb 1994 snow push, November 1996, December 1997, March 2001, March 2004, February 2007.

Posted

It sometimes happens with cold air pushing down from the north too, like in January 2007 and October 2008 - we get cold rain during the day whilst the south east gets it as snow during the night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

In Winter in paticular Crewe and in fact most of South Cheshire seems to miss out on anything major. At times the difference between the North and South of the county is unbeliveable. Taking last Winter as an example which was good here in Crewe but could of been better in terms of snowfall as Poynton, Stockport Macclesfield areas where I visited family at Christmas, all still in Cheshire but just that bit North saw heavy snow showers and decent snow cover several days before Christmas where as back home in South Cheshire Crewe saw some promising light-moderate snow flurries that in the end did not stick much at all. We had to wait for the major snowfall event of the night of the 4th into the 5th of January to see decent snowfall totals 12-15cm for a time in fact but even then places that see often the least snow in the North west like Liverpool and the Wirral saw closer to 20cm and blizzard like conditions in places due to the heavier intensity of the snow there as bands of decently heavy snow showers continued to persist to the north and west of us right through into the 6th leaving Crewe and South Cheshire with the left overs. This is often the case also during Summer storms they are often way far south of us or pass us by whilst giving locations only 10-15 miles away flash flooding. Sometimes I feel Crewe is always in the wrong place at the wrong time often when it matters in terms of severe weather, fingers crossed for something better this coming Autumn/Winter!

Edited by SNOW GO

In Winter in paticular Crewe and in fact most of South Cheshire seems to miss out on anything major. At times the difference between the North and South of the county is unbeliveable. Taking last Winter as an example which was good here in Crewe but could of been better in terms of snowfall as Poynton, Stockport Macclesfield areas where I visited family at Christmas, all still in Cheshire but just that bit North saw heavy snow showers and decent snow cover several days before Christmas where as back home in South Cheshire Crewe saw some promising light-moderate snow flurries that in the end did not stick much at all. We had to wait for the major snowfall event of the night of the 4th into the 5th of January to see decent snowfall totals 12-15cm for a time in fact but even then places that see often the least snow in the North west like Liverpool and the Wirral saw closer to 20cm and blizzard like conditions in places due to the heavier intensity of the snow there as bands of decently heavy snow showers continued to persist to the north and west of us right through into the 6th leaving Crewe and South Cheshire with the left overs. This is often the case also during Summer storms they are often way far south of us or pass us by whilst giving locations only 10-15 miles away flash flooding. Sometimes I feel Crewe is always in the wrong place at the wrong time often when it matters in terms of severe weather, fingers crossed for something better this coming Autumn/Winter!

Crewe is good for trains I believe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

Crewe is good for trains I believe.

It is good for trains although I dont know much about them though! But I wish it would be better at delivering some more severe weather at times paticulary during Winter, The Polar Express maybe? Ha ha bad joke I know!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Once again it didn't happen where I am. Some really heavy showers a few miles north in the Buxton area, down as far south as about Chatsworth but here virtually nothing. To add insult to injury a clump of heavy showers developed this evening in the very area where, had the wind direction remained as it was this morning,it would have sent them directly over my house but of course by this time the wind had veered to the north west and the whole lot went in the direction of Derby and Burton, missing here completely.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Once again it didn't happen where I am. Some really heavy showers a few miles north in the Buxton area, down as far south as about Chatsworth but here virtually nothing. To add insult to injury a clump of heavy showers developed this evening in the very area where, had the wind direction remained as it was this morning,it would have sent them directly over my house but of course by this time the wind had veered to the north west and the whole lot went in the direction of Derby and Burton, missing here completely.

Don't feel alone zippo to measure here. Plenty of shower clouds around but nothing left by the time they got here.